Whole Wheat Flour????

• Hi Ladies,

I picked up some whole wheat flour last night. Is this allowed in any phase of SBD? I was thinking of using it in place of white flour for baking desserts....(using splenda instead of sugar, etc.)

Needing advice of the SBD gurus out there...

Thanks,
    Nicole
  • WW flour is phase 2 & 3 friendly. I've used it before, but prefer WW Pastry flour for cooking muffins & stuff.
  • dare2, have you read the book? You'll find tons of info on using WW flour there.

Yes, you absolutely can have WW flour in Phase 2. I use WW flour as a substitute for "all-purpose flour" in recipes and WW pastry flour (a.k.a. Whole Wheat White Flour) as a substitute for cake flour or when a recipe needs to be light and airy.

You might find a mix of the two works well. When using them, you may need to increase the moisture in your item to compensate or they will be a bit dry. Experiment. I do this all the time (substitute WW flour and Splenda in baking recipes) and find that though it almost always works well, it works best in recipes that are meant to use that kind of hearty flavor, like apple crisps, oatmeal cookies, banana bread, etc.

Let us know how it goes!
  • Oatmeal Scotchies
    Beachgal - Yes, I have read the book, but it's been awhile so I'll have to go read up on WW flour.

I made some oatmeal scotchies (oatmeal cookies w/ butterscotch morsels instead of chocolate chips) using WW flour and splenda. However the recipe still called for brown sugar. I've heard there's a splenda brown sugar out there, but haven't been able to find it. So actually, if I could find that, the cookies would almost be SBD friendly (except for the butterscotch chips of course.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (substitute WW flour)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
    1/3 cup SPLENDAŽ Sugar Blend for Baking *
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I believe there is a splenda brown sugar)
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract or grated peel of 1 orange
    3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
    1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Butterscotch Flavored Morsels

Nutrition Facts: (This is for white flour and regular brown sugar)
    Serving Size: 1/48 of recipe
    Servings per Recipe: 48 cookies

Amount per serving
    Calories: 130
    Calories from Fat: 60

% Daily Value

Total Fat: 7g 11%
    Saturated Fat: 4.5g 23%
    Cholesterol: 20mg 7%
    Sodium: 90mg 4%
    Carbohydrates: 16g 5%
    Dietary Fiber: 1g 4%
    Sugars: 10g
    Protein: 1g
    Vitamin A 2%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0%
    Iron 2%

Anyone have any thoughts? These could almost be SBD (phase 2) friendly....
  • The Splenda Brown Sugar that is sold in the stores is a mixture of Splenda and real brown sugar. You can make your own brown sugar substitute with Splenda and SF maple syrup. Or I use Sugar Twin Brown Sugar substitute.