3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   The Wine Appreciation Thread! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/80498-wine-appreciation-thread.html)

pearshape 04-01-2006 09:21 AM

The Wine Appreciation Thread!

OK, I'm starting another wine thread. Since wine in moderation is fine for the SBD (P2) I thought we could all share our wine preferences and whatever. It seems fitting to do it on the start of the weekend. I just want to know how often/much you gals drink wine and what types you like. I usually have a glass every other night or so. I'm a light weight when it comes to alcohol but Dr. A said one or two glasses with a meal is fine. One thing I really like about wines is that when tasting a wine it really puts you in tune with your senses and your body when you pay attention to exactly what you're tasting. It's really interesting. But I'm new to wines and so far I really like the following wines:

Reds:
-Beaujolais (all I've tried): It's light and fruity without being sweet. My fav red.
-Merlot: depending on the brand can be really good
-Cabernet Sauvignon: again, depends on the brand
-Malbec: tried a few and really liked them
-Chianti: like the little I've tried so far
Plus I've tried lots of blends of different wines and like them a lot.

Whites:
-Viognier: my favorite white so far. it's creamy and fruity tasting and refreshign but not too tart and not sweet
-Sauvignon Blanc: depends on the brands, but it's ok
-Chardonnay: haven't tried it yet but I have a bottle and will try it soon.

amelie77 04-01-2006 10:19 AM

I am so glad you started this thread! I tried to ask this question a couple of days ago, and didn't get much response! I love wine, and would love ideas on different ones to try. I am a fan of chardonnay, and I discovered while eating out one night a merlot and cabrenet blend that I really enjoyed. Since, I have also tried a merlot shiraz blend and enjoyed it too. Over Christmas, my husband guard unit had a wine tasting event, and quite honestly, I didn't find a wine I didn't like!

milkseat 04-01-2006 10:51 AM

Hey everyone! I like wine too. In fact, it's about the only alcohol I like. I'm partial to white wines and I have developed a taste for pinot grigio. It's my favorite. The last brand that I tried was Voyage or Vonage, something like that and it was good. The other whites I've enjoyed are the Austalian chardonnay. Red wines that I like are Shiraz and Pinot Noir. Most other reds seem too dry and heavy. I'll be trying some of the flavors that you guys listed!

Geekchicalways 04-01-2006 11:10 AM

I am a huge wine fan.. I'd use the word "buff" but I haven't learned enough. :lol: . If you ever get the chance to try it, Plum wine is amazing. It's a little on the sweet side and very strong but it's a great dessert wine. Rice wine is also wonderful (this is the "warm Sake" you'll get at sushi places and such). It's a little harsh but it's an aquired taste. I love it because it goes well with fish or meats.

For reds, I am a big merlot fan. Whites I don't know much about. But I do enjoy Pinot Grigio.

I hope this thread keeps going, I'll go find some brand names to share!

cottagebythesea 04-01-2006 11:14 AM

I was raised on Chianti :D , so that's still a big favorite of mine, and I love a good Merlot, and Lambrusco. As for white wines, I enjoy a good white Zinfandel, and especially a nice "blush" Zinfandel.

As a product fo the "hippie generation", there was nothing compared to good old "Boone's Farm Strawberry Fields" and "Mateus Rose". Do they still make them?

pearshape 04-01-2006 04:16 PM

Cottage, I've heard about Lambrusco. I haven't seen it anywhere though. I'll have to keep my eye on it. Is it similar to Beaujolais?

Kelly J 04-01-2006 06:36 PM

oooh, one of my favorite subjects :D

Overall, I drink merlot and shiraz the most, but a few weeks ago I had Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon and now it's my new fav. Goes really well with food, and really well on it's own ;)

For brands I like most of the Yellow Tails and Jackaroo's. Tisdale makes a good shiraz. Hazlitt Red Cat is awesome too - that one might only be available locally, though.

I'm looking forward to everyone's recs.

cottagebythesea 04-01-2006 07:17 PM

Pearsy, re your question about lambrusco, it's a semi-sweet wine, and now you can get it in a red (my favorite), or a blush. I've never tried a Beaujolais, so I can't compare. Reunite makes a good one to try.

SarahinBalance 04-01-2006 10:48 PM

The beaujolais is a lot lighter than Labrusco. Beaujolais is a "new wine" meaning it doesn't really age and in fact the older it gets the worse it tastes. I was living in France for a while and the first time I bought Beaujolais the bottle was like 3 years old.. I couldn't understand why it tasted so bad till my buddies explained it to me. My boyfriend buys the Riunite Lambrusco and it's a tad on the sweet side for me, but is a good "dessert."

My favorite wine is an organic white called Vida Organica. It's about 8 dollars a bottle and actually has a screw top cap. I buy it at a natural food store called Sun Harvest which was recently bought out by Wild Oats (so I'm thinking they might have the brand at Wild Oats stores). It's a nice light white with a fruity flavor. Also really like Monkey Bay which is a really nice fruity white as well.

amelie77 04-02-2006 09:33 AM

I, too, enjoy the yellow tail brand. It is inexpensive, but tasty. The carry the blends that I enjoy (my fav. is the shiraz merlot blend).

mama.dragon 04-02-2006 09:44 AM

Now I want a glass of wine. You people are bad. I have to wait until monday to talk to the pharmacist to see just how bad it is with my meds.

beachgal 04-05-2006 11:59 AM

Have you chicks tried Red Truck? They make a wonderful red...I'm forgetting what type it is, though. :o

Also...did Shiraz start in Australia or did it just do very well there? I was wondering that this weekend... :chin:

Stephanie Osborne 04-05-2006 01:22 PM

I am spoiled I live next to a winery. The have this apple wine that is only 8 percent alcohol that is to die for.

pearshape 04-05-2006 08:23 PM

I've seen Red Truck everywhere. I'll have to pick up (pardon the pun :lol: ) a bottle ASAP! :)

And I don't think Shiraz started in Australia. They just do well with the grape. It's called Shirah elsewhere in the world.

BTW, have any of you been to the Wine Shop by Whole Foods? They have great reasonable wines lots in the $9-$15 dollar range. I'm trying a Chardonnay right now. Not a typical one (or so I've been told) cause it's very light and fruity but not as tart as a sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. Very good!

weezle 04-05-2006 09:33 PM

I'm all about Lambrusco and Yellow Tail Merlot. It's just that most of the time, I can't justify wasting 90 calories on 4 oz of wine. If I'm eating out, that's one thing, but I can't keep it in the house. I'd go through half a bottle a night. I can keep beer in the house and be just fine, it won't get touched for months. Not wine though. Too tasty.