South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #16  
South Beach Life Style

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp

for THURSDAY 16 FEB, 2006

Last edited by MsCrockett; 02-16-2006 at 02:42 PM.
MsCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #17  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCrockett
Beachgal~

B~ Scrambled eggs (2) with skim milk, ff cheddar cheese, 2 slices of Canadian bacon , green pepper

SN~ 1 cup of plain yogurt with powder ff jello flavor

L~ lettuce, ff moz cheese, tomatoe, and Tuna in water with 1 tsp Mayo(REG)

Sn~ Cauliflower and or Cottage Cheese

D~ Phase 1 SB dinner, Chicken pese with brocolli and cauliflower, and 1 of the cups of sf Jello.

cauliflower or cucumbers as I get the munchies sometimes after dinner.

That was yesterdays.
Okay...some thoughts:
  • My nutritionist told me that, although it does have protein, your body treats yogurt as a carb. I still have it for a snack, like you, but you might consider adding a little protein on top of it--more calories and more likely to keep you full.
  • Your lunch is way too small, hon. Check out this thread for more advice on ways to beef up the nutrient level of your veggies (iceberg lettuce won't do much for you...)http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57021 Try adding more veggies (with some good fat) to beef up your lunch and add calories, okay? Also, some beans would be good too. You could add cannelini beans to your tuna (yum!) or have a side dish or salad with beans. Or you could have some homemade soup with beans.
  • Dip your afternoon snack in humus, bean dip, or dressing for extra calories and extra staying power.
  • Make sure you are getting nuts every day. They add good fats and lots of nutrients along with protein, and they have a decent amount of calories. I listed info on them up above, I think, in my first post. If not, let me know. A great way to get them in is to have a peanut butter cup for dessert. You'll find the recipe in the recipe forum. You can have it in P1 and it is to die for!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #18  
I can do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLit
Here's what I ate yesterday:
B- 1/3 cup cooked steel-cut oatmeal mixed with a packet of Splenda and a teaspoon of sugar-free maple syrup.

S- Cabot 50% Light Cheddar Snack Slice (These have 3.5 grams of fat and apparently no lactose. Lactose bothers my tummy, in a way that none of those -itols in sugar-free stuff do.)

L- Salad - 1.5 cups raw spinach, 1 cup romaine lettuce, 1/4 cup solid white tuna (packed in water), 1.5 cups cucumber. Sugar-free Jell-o cup.

S - 15 pistachios (This isn't really something I'd normally have. Nuts tend to repeat on me).

D - 6 oz. baked salmon, 2/3 cup frozen green beans, 1 cup mashed turnips. No seasoning or added fats with any of it.

S- NSA Fudgsicle (I love these!)
  • Add some protein when you have oatmeal for breakfast. You could put the nuts in there, or have an egg, canadian bacon, or cheese on the side. This will keep you from craving later and add calories.
  • For snacks, combine veggies and protein or fruit and protein, but don't just have cheese. It'll keep you full longer, but it won't fill you up much, so you'll still be hungry. Try having the cheese melted on some broccoli or eat it with an apple...or celery.
  • Yay for all those nutrients in your salad, Sunlit! That's great! Try adding some extra veggies to boost your fullness, and add in some reduced fat cheese, some soy nuts, etc. to boost calories, protein, etc. You can also add beans...I love kidney beans on salad, but any are good! Just make sure they don't have sugar, okay? Try throwing a little Cool Whip on your Jell-o if you have enough calories left for sweet treats. That'll give you 15 more calories.
  • Same thing with the nuts as the cheese...get some veggies in there, too. With pistachios, you can have 30...so 15 isn't a complete serving. If you really can't have any nuts without getting sick (try them all to make sure, hon...if you don't know. ), think about other ways to add those healthy oils to your diet. Try adding some flax seed oil to your oatmeal (it tastes good!) or use it to cook veggies/meat so you get the Omega 3s you'd find in walnuts. Add items high in Vit E to your diet to replace almonds, etc. Try to get in that amount of calories and fat each day...it really helps.
  • If you really hate seasoning, Sunlit, no reason to add it, but personally, I'd get incredibly bored and peevish if I was eating unseasoned food with no fat. Know what I mean? You NEED to add some good fats in there, girl! That's where your calories are really missing. Remember, this isn't a low fat diet, it's a good fat diet. Think about that study that was just released. Low fat does not equal weight loss. In fact, good fats will make you feel much more full and help you stay on plan...leading to much more weight loss. They are also good and healthy for you! So add them on, okay? Saute the broccoli in olive oil, canola oil, flaxseed oil, walnut oil, etc. Add Smart Balance (or other trans-fat free, cholesterol lowering margerine) to your mashed turnips, or reduced fat sour cream...just add in some fat, okay?

You're doing great, Sunlit...just keep up what you're doing and add some fat, veggies, and protein to your diet, okay?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #19  
I can do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariannas
Here is my menu so far today -

today's menu -
b - egg/seafood salad, lf mayo, 1/2 can diet coke
s - skipped (I know bad, bad, bad, I'm working on this)
l - 1/2 ceasar salad, broccoli cheddar soup, iced tea
s - 1 orange, 4 pieces cheddar cheese (thin/small), 1/2c 1% milk
d - not sure yet, probably grilled chicken with veggies
s - not sure yet, probably low carb ice cream or SBD choco haystacks (2)

As you can see I am having trouble fitting in all of my snacks, well, especially the morning snack, I eat breakfast late and then before I know it's time for lunch.

Thanks for the help!
Ariannas, I know how hard it is to fit in that morning snack when you wake up late. If you aren't having trouble getting enough calories, I'd say you can skip it. Remember, the point of the snacks is to keep our blood sugar from getting too low by eating every 3 hours. If you just ate, you won't need to eat again for 3 hours, so don't stress. But you might modify the rest of your day if you'll be going 4-5 hours to lunch or at some other part of your day, okay? You might need two afternoon snacks because you eat dinner at 8. You figure out what works for you, okay?

Here's some things I noticed:
  • Add some veggies to your breakfast (great job making something innovative! ), okay? That'll make you more full and make it easier to last the 3 hours between meals.
  • Did you make your lunch yourself, hon? If you're eating in a restaurant, make sure that the soup is SBD safe...they are often made with real flour (but I eat them too, sometimes! ). Caesar salads are very low in nutrients...try to find one with the most veggies or ask them to add veggies to it. Add chicken, beef, or beans to your salad so you have protein...you need to get enough or you'll end up losing muscle, which sucks, big time!
  • Snack looks perfect!
  • Beef up your dinner...have at least two veggies and make sure you have some good fats in there, okay? That should help keep you full and raise your calories.
  • Nuts? Make sure you're getting your nuts every day. They really help with your health, the calories, and your fullness. Okay?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #20  

Default Today

Thanks for the advice.

Here is today's menu, I think I did a little better, although I ate the soup again, I can't help it, I love it! It's from Panera, mmmmmmm m....

b- chicken/egg salad, water
s - 1 slice 7 grain bread with 1 tbs peanut butter
l - 1/2 turkey sandwich with 1 slice gouda cheese, tomato, lettuce, 1tsp mayo, on 1 slice whole grain bread, broccoli cheddar soup, iced tea (I was full, couldn't even finish the sandwhich

s- 1/2 cucumber and cottage cheese, 1/2c 1% milk
d - ?

Better? I know, nuts, I need to get to the store and buy some, I usually have them everyday but I ran out.
Ariannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #21  
South Beach Life Style

Beach~ Thank you so much for taking the time to do this,., I really appreciate it,, hope to return the good deed one day...................Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #22  

Ariannas - I pulled the information about the soup from Panera's web site. Looks like it is pretty high in saturated fat. I see whole milk, full fat cheese, milkfat and heavy cream and butter. The flour is also unbleached enriched which isn't allowed. Why don't you take a look at the recipe section where we have a really easy broccoli cheese soup. I make it all the time. It is easy to make and freezes well.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Serving Size: 8 oz Sodium: 1000mg
Calories: 230 Total Carbohydrate: 13g
Total Fat: 16g Dietary Fiber: 1g
Saturated Fat: 9g Sugars: 4g
Cholesterol: 45mg Protein: 8g

Ingredients:
Water, whole milk, broccoli, cheddar cheese (milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, water, sodium phopshate, milkfat, cellulose powder, salt, APO-carotenal-color), heavy cream, onion, carrot, chicken base (chicken meat including natural chicken juices, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, potato flour, natural flavorings, autolyzed yeast extract, carrot powder, turmeric), modified food starch, unbleached enriched flour (wheat flour, vitamin C (ascorbic acid added as dough conditioner), enzyme added to improve baking, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), butter (sweet cream, annatto), canola oil, salt, dijon mustard (water, black mustard seed, vinegar, salt, spices, citric acid, potassium bisulfite), spices, Tabasco (vinegar, red pepper, salt).
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #23  
I can do this!

No problem, MsCrockett!

Sarah, you mentioned the P word!!! I love Panera!!! Have you gotten SBD dining guide yet, Sarah? He has a great listing for Panera. He suggests multigrain bread (but I've gotten things on sourdough before...so that's also an option). He says the best soup options are the Low-Fat Vegetarian Black Bean (which is delicious) and the Low-Fat Vegetarian Garden Vegetable.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #24  

Default Thank you

Barb - thank you for doing that. And thanks for the suggestion, actually I told my husband today (as we were both eating the soup ) that I wanted to find a recipe so I could make a lower fat version of it. It's sooooo yummy!

Beach - no I haven't gotten the dining out guide yet, I saw it at Walmart when it first came out and meant to pick it up before I left the store and totally forgot by the time I was ready to leave (old age setting in ), thank you for reminding me about it though, I think I will go this evening and get it. I have tried the vegetable soup there and it's good, I also thought about getting the vegetable black bean soup today when I was there, but that broccoli cheddar was just calling me.

Thanks again for all the great advice. You ladies are great!!
Ariannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #25  

Great! This was so helpful, Laurie! I do love my salads and I'm going to try adding black beans. (I had a restaurant salad with them last week and they were terrific!)

My problem with adding more fat is more psychological than anything else. I feel like it would open a floodgate and make me think I can LOTS of fatty foods. I'll give it a try, though. I don't mind at all using Smart Balance (or Fleischmann's Olive Oil Spread, which I believe is SBD approved on the new lists).

Again, I really appreciate your taking the time to evaluate my menu!
SunLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #26  
I can do this!

I understand, Sunlit! It took me a while to feel okay using full fat mayo and eating avocados. But since you still to healthy fats (and they're hard to find in restaurants... ), it doesn't really open the floodgates too far. Other than avocados, there isn't much you'd OD on, I think. Still, I understand...just take baby steps, okay?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #27  
South Beach Life Style

Beachgal~ Adding the refried beans to my lunch,, and eating 2 or 3 eggs for breakfast , is working,,,,, THANK YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #28  
South Beach Life Style

HEY GUYS,, THERE IS A GIRL ON ONE OF THE OTHER THREADS I SPEAK WITH, AND I PM'D HER TODAY WITH MY CALORIE TROUBLES AND SHE HAD A VERY UNDERSTANDING AND SINCE MAKING ANSWER, I ASKED HER IF I COULD SHARE THIS WITH YOU GUYS AND SHE GAVE ME PERMISSION,,,,,,,, THIS MAKES SOOOOOO MUCH SENSE.........THIS IS A QUOTE FROM JILLYBEAN720

It's generally accepted that you shouldn't go below 1200 calories a day consistently. At that little, you're risking not getting enough nutrients and actually slowing your metabolism, which would make it harder to lose weight. On SB, I would think a great way to add calories might be nuts or nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter, etc.)--they are high in protein and calories, plus they're great for you!

The only problem with being around 1200 or so when starting out is that eventually, almost every hits a plateau where your weight loss stalls. At this point, a lot of people decrease their calories a little more in order to keep losing, but if you start at the bottom, then where can you go from there?

Also, maintenance calorie levels vary widely. You can probably use 10 different online calculators to tell you how many calories you need to eat each day and get 10 different answers I know that if I eat 2000 a day, I will gain, even though calculators online say I should lose at that amount. Everyone is so different and unique that you just have to try a few different things and see what works for you
Old 02-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #29  
South Beach Life Style

Did really well yesterday,, bought the stuff to make the taco bake.. looking for ward to that,, check back in later
Old 02-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #30  
I can do this!

MsCrockett, I'm so glad things are going better! Thanks so much for sharing that great information from Jillybean720...it's very well said!

How is everyone else doing?