3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   What size are you wearing??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/71864-what-size-you-wearing.html)

freaky 01-05-2006 08:27 PM

What size are you wearing???

Okay, I'm very new here but not at all new to the whole dieting and exercising deal. I think I've gained and lost more weight than I'd like to attempt to imagine. Highest weight 200 and lowest weight 115 - as an adult that is. I have just started the SBD on Tuesday of this week. It appears to be working well so far but unfortunately I came down with strep throat yesterday and haven't been able to exercise as much as I'd like.

Anyway...back to my reason for posting. I have been spending some time in the evenings and mornings reading different threads. I often see people list a weight and than a clothing size. When compared to myself, the weights do not often match the sizes. Some of these weights and sizes do not appear to match up. Even at 115 pounds I was still wearing size 7's for the most part...maybe the occasional large sized 5. How is it possible that I see theads that say things like weight - 145 and size 7-8. This is just an example of course but it makes me wonder what's up and if I perhaps am living in an alternate universe.

I weigh approx. 132 right now. I am 5'3". I am barely making it into a size 10 comfortably.

Okay...and yes I do know that sizes are not what is improtant...and I know that different brands vary in size, and I know that sizes have changes over the years to reflect our growing Americans, and that different body types wear different sizes. I am just curious about this.

:?: Has anybody else noticed this? (please excuse any spelling errors)

PS I haven't changed the weight tracker but I have lost 4 pounds on the SBD even with being sick and not being ablt to exercise!!! Very Exciting

Schatzi 01-05-2006 08:46 PM

Freaky, darlin, yer height and frame have ALOT to do with what clothing size you are.. and just as importantly how much of your mass is fat and how much is muscle ( muscle weighs more but takes up less space..) in addition to who makes the clothes... here is a link to a chart on frames used by most underwriters of life insurance.. I myself am 5 foot- large frame, felt best as a toned 130 pounds, and I wore a size 8 /10. http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

SynergyJoy 01-05-2006 11:49 PM

Freaky, Schatzi is so right. Height and muscle tone make a huge difference. Here's a great example: I am 5'9" tall, last year when I weighed 141-150 pounds I was a comfortable size 10 (jeans). My girlfried is extremely fit, she is the same height and weighed 143. She wore a size 6 jean.

Jennie527 01-06-2006 12:40 AM

Yep, my best friend and I in High School both were the same heighth and wore the same size - size 5 (in fact, we borrowed each other's clothes) She weighed 110 and I weighed 125.

Marianna 01-06-2006 12:43 AM

Sizing is all wacky.. I have a friend who is a size 14 at her weight and at that weight I am an 18.. she is taller and seems to be more solid as opposed to me that has sticky outy bits.. like boobs and a butt ;)

H-ko 01-06-2006 03:43 AM

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. Currently I'm in the 240's, and wear a 22 (pants) or 24 (tops) or a 2x - down from a 24/26/3x. My lowest adult weight was around 148, and at that weight I was wearing a size 9 and once in a while I could even squeeze into a 7. While I'm very, very overweight for my height (5'3") and it's chiefly fat (I'm not very active!), I take after my dad in build - he is very compact. Somehow I just squeeze all that fat into a smaller space!

RNMOM 01-06-2006 06:17 AM

Interesting

I didn't realize how wild sizes could be, I thought I was the only weirdo;) . Last year when I was so strict on the SBD and exercise freak I was 136.5 and was comfortably wearing a size 6. I'm now 155 and wearing an 8 or 10. I heard somewhere that 7 pounds was a dress size, I'd like to find that article again.

My mom is amazed at how much I weigh, actually her words are " I can't believe how heavy you are" Thanks mom. Anyhoo,without getting into the need for my counseling................. I weigh more than her but she's wearing a 14 to a 16............and unzips her pants when she sits down:eek:

Ya, so weight and clothing size don't make sense.

freaky 01-06-2006 07:09 AM

Thanks for the replies!!! I have been a regular exerciser (mostly) for years and I lift weights and bike. Maybe it's possible that the muscle doesn't slide so easily into clothing. I must remind myself that the size doesn't matter but how I feel!!!

zombiemommie 01-06-2006 08:09 AM

Its funny, even at my thinnest, during my bulimia-anorexia phase in high school, at 5'9" and at 140 I looked emaciated. I was a size 5, but I can guarantee now that if I was 140 it wouldn't be a size 5, because after kids and 15 years later, its all, ummmm, shifted ? LOL. Height has alot to do with it. I am 265 but you wouldn't think it because I am so tall.

kyemom 01-06-2006 09:32 AM

RNMOM- I am with you. I always wear a lot smaller size than what you would think for my weight. I am now 158, 5'4 and wear a size 7/8 comfortably...I have a lot of muscle mass. My best friend weighs 130 is 5'4 and wears a size 10...so each person is different. Go with how you look naked..that is my motto....I guess I would be one of those women that would have the surgery to get rid of the extra skin...cause that sure does not look good naked!! LOL

Kamily828 01-06-2006 10:04 AM

I wear 24 jeans but I can wear 18/20 if they are knit pants. I prefer a larger top so I buy the 26/28 or 3X. I have never ever wore clothes in single digits. I would be satisfied to get out of the X clothing. I wouldnt know how to act wearing a size 8.

Barb0522 01-06-2006 11:04 AM

I'm 5' 3". I weigh 141 and wear a size 8 (occasionally a 10). When I weighed 214, I wore a size 20. My sister weighs less than I do and wears a 10. I'm a lot more muscular than I used to be.

Ruthxxx 01-06-2006 11:39 AM

And a pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat. There's a picture somewhere.

Here ya go! It's not just what you weigh - it's your body composition.

kyemom 01-06-2006 12:07 PM

Yummmm Thanks for that Ruth!!

Ruthxxx 01-06-2006 12:28 PM

Gross, isn't it? :lol: I think it must be sat- or trans- fat. not good fat. :rofl: