South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 11:07 AM   #1  
Kyemom

Question help...need ideas for a crust

I am going to dinner at a friends this weekend. I am going to make this wonderful fruit "tart" that I have made forever....excpet I need to think of I type of crust that is SB friendly...I usually use sugar cookie dough...I was thinking I could do crushed nuts, but I don't think it would be thick enough...any ideas?

Last edited by kyemom; 08-30-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:42 AM   #2  
The cat lady

I found this on another SB board

Oatmeal "Cracker" Crust (AKA Fake Graham Cracker Crust)-ph2
from
justforyougift

2 cups regular oatmeal
1/4 cup ground almonds
1/4 Cup plus 3 T Splenda
1 T cinnamon or to taste
2t vanilla
4-6 T melted acceptable butter/margarine/spread

Add oats, almonds, cinnamon and Splena to food processor with blade attachment. Process on high until the mixture resembles graham cracker crumbs. Add vanilla. With processor running slowly add just enough melted ~butter~ until mixture starts to come together. Pat into a 8 inch pie pan and bake in 350F oven for 7-8 minutes. Fill with sugar free pudding, ricotta creme or fresh fruit. I have not tested this recipe using oil in place of the ~butter~. I'm not sure it would be a suitable replacement but will try it when I get the chance.

Version 2:
I had a batch of the original "experimental" mixture that seemed a bit dry. So I added one egg to it and patted it (use wet hands or spray them with Pam) into a springform pan and came up with something like an oatmeal cookie crust. Bake 10-12 minutes at 350F. Texture is a bit different but will probably be good with a cheescake like filling. Remember though, these are still desserts and can pack a few calories. But I think they make for a perfectly acceptable treat every now and then! =-) =-)
Thank you to killdeer for a great idea!
Tamara
Old 08-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Candy, that's a great one! Would you post it in the Recipe forum for us?

Kyemom, see if you can find a good sugar cookie recipe either online or in a cookbook at home. You can try making the same dough but with WW pastry flour and splenda. Maybe add something like 1/4 cup of brown sugar to make sure it browns and works well.

Otherwise, I'd try making a tart crust...look for recipes and let us know if you need help modifying it.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:29 PM   #4  
Kyemom

Please help me make this recipe SB friendly..if there is a way.
Sugar Cookies
Makes 2 ˝ dozen cookies

Preparation Time: 27 minutes
Baking Time: 8 to 10 minutes
Chill Time: 1 hour

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup SPLENDAŽ Sugar Blend for Baking
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer in a medium mixing bowl until creamy. Gradually add SPLENDAŽ Sugar Blend for Baking, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to SPLENDAŽ Sugar Blend for Baking mixture, beating until blended. Do not over-mix.
Place dough on a lightly floured work surface. Divide dough in half; pat each half into a circle and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill cookie dough for one hour or until slightly firm.
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Remove dough from refrigerator. Work with one portion of dough at a time. Roll each portion to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a cookie cutter, and place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with decorative candies or colored sugars, if desired.
Bake in preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool slightly on cookie sheets; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Nutrients Per Serving
Serving Size 1 cookie
Calories 150
Calories from Fat 60
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 4g
Cholesterol 30mg
Sodium 60mg
Total Carbohydrate 19g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 7g
Protein 2g
Exchanges per Serving: 1 1/2 Starch, 1 Fat

This recipe, when compared to a traditional recipe, has a 15% reduction in calories, a 25% reduction in carbohydrates and a 49% reduction in sugars!
Old 08-30-2005, 03:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I saw a recipe for a this pie crust. It looked interesting and it got pretty good reviews.

http://www.recipezaar.com/58321

1-1/2 Ingredient Fiber Crust #58321 8 servings
15 minutes 10 mins prep

This has the TASTE and the TEXTURE of a graham cracker crust, but without the fat and calories and with necessary fiber. It's absolutely delish! Feel free to use more cereal if you prefer thicker crusts. The recipe is more than EASILY adaptable! Use for cheesecakes, pies, quiches, whatever requires a crumb crust!
1 cup all-bran cereal (All-Bran with Extra Fiber or All-Bran or Fiber One)
water
Crush cereal to a powder in a ziploc.
Add any sweetener or spice (s) to taste here and shake together.
Dump evenly into a 9" springform or pie plate.
Fill a pouring cup with some water and moisten fingers.
Drizzle A LITTLE water at a time just to moisten the crumbs.
Spread and press crust evenly.
Use as stated in recipe either baking before or simply pouring filling in, then baking or refrigerating Enjoy!

Kyemom, sorry sweetie, there's no way you'd be able to make this sbd friendly and still keep it tasting like a sugar cookie.

Once you start switching out a bunch of ingredients you lose what made it taste so good in the first place.

You'd have to switch to whole wheat flour or maybe oat flour-but does oat flour have enough gluten to make cookies? Do you even need gluten in cookies? and something like smart balance for the butter... but smart balance won't measure cup for cup because it's a spread and not a stick-so it has more liquid/air in it. Does smart balance come in sticks?

But, hey if you are adventuresome, let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:09 AM   #6  
Who needs sleep?

You could also try ground nuts combined with butter or spread, like you would use crushed cookies/graham crackers.

I think your best bet with the cookies is to just leave it be and indulge sparingly!
Old 08-31-2005, 03:37 PM   #7  

I wanted to make a cobbler the other day and for the topping I used: 2 Tbls whole wheat flour, 2 Tbls. oats, 1 serving of almonds (15) crushed but not ground, and 1 1/2 tbls marg. without trans fats, some cinnamon and splenda (to taste)...mixed it all together, topped my mixed blue, rasp and marion berries...it turned out scrumptious!
These are all great recipes...thanks so much for sharing!!!
Closed Thread