South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 10:18 PM   #1  

Angry So Darn Frustrated

I was doing so good, correction I still am doing good but the weight isnt coming off anymore. My first week and a half I lost 12lbs and then after my 2nd week I decided to slowly add some carbs back. For example one night I had the SBD Pizza, one day I had one of the SBD wraps, another day one of the SBD bars. The only carbs I have added back are 1 a day of the SBD products. I have not had any fruit or bread or pasta or anything. I have not lost anything since adding them back. What should I do??
Old 07-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #2  

Are you eating 4 1/2 cups of veggies a day? The South Beach products are pretty light on veggies. Personally I think it is better to eat them less often. You should add carbs slowly so that you know how they affect you. The South Beach products are also pretty high in sodium and you may be retaining water.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #3  

Kimberly, I know how you feel!!! I have been on phase 2 for 2 1/2 weeks now and have only dropped a few pounds. I lost between 10-12 pounds in phase 1 and some days I show being down 14 pounds total and others 13 pounds, very frustrating!!! I dont really eat the SB products much, I tried the pizza, it was pretty good and I have a box of the p-nut butter cookies in my cupboard but havent tried them yet and I bought the pre-packaged ww crackers and have had a few bags (but not in the same day) !!!

Everyone I know who has done this diet said that the first 2-4 weeks on phase 2 for them was like a roller coaster. Some gained a few pounds, others lost just a couple pounds and some didnt lose anything for a month!! But then it seemed to melt off of them so needless to say, I am waiting for mine to melt off!! Unfortunatley, weight has never melted off me so maybe this time will be different!! Hang in there, I am, I know I have lost several inches everywhere and wish I would have measured before starting this so I would have exact #'s but my clothes fit very loose!! Gotta love that!! Good luck, your doing great!!
Old 07-31-2005, 01:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 248/248/170

Height: 5'7"

don't feel bad been on phas 1- 5 days, worked out 3 days once with trainer and gained 1 Lb finally got some water pills, hope it will help, it is so hot here AZ I think my body won't let lose of water just in case but I feel good and seem to fit into clothes better so I don't know, one thing was 3 rd day I felt really bad headache just sick, drank 2X more water and next day felt better sister says throw out scale it won't help, but I will just weight once a week and hope for the best

Plumeria
Old 07-31-2005, 01:33 AM   #5  

Thanks Girls!

Barb- Yes I am eating all the veggies. As far as adding carbs back gradually I am only doing 1 carb choice a day
Old 07-31-2005, 07:59 AM   #6  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Hey Kimberly, I would add fruit instead of the SBD products. Those things, regardless of SBD name on them, are still processed and refined. Fruit is very low in calories and has important vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients you cannot live without. You can have a whole cup of strawberries for 50 calories or a whole peach for 40. Not that calories are everything, but its an easy way to up your nutrition without adding a ton of calories.

I've been on P2 for about a week and haven't lost anything but my clothes are fitting looser. This whole month being out in the hot humid weather has thrown my body into a tailspin and I am retaining water like crazy. I've never has swollen fingers and swollen ankles for an entire month. I do know that when your body burns fat it creates water and that water can be held by the body. Maybe that's what happening to us right now, sure hope so.

All I know is that this time I'm going to do the one thing I didn't do all the other times....STICK WITH IT. Something has got to happen sooner or later. We can't keep eating all the right foods and doing all the right things and still be fat forever. Your doing great! I was so jealous of all the weight you lost in P1 !! Keep it up, girl!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:18 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I totally agree with Pearshape. You all know I'm dead against processed food, even so-called SBD ones, and I do think they ****** weightloss. I know you don't like to cook but making a shake or a wrap using whole wheat pita or tortilla is simple. You might also consider that adding wheat carbs may be the problem. Try the fruit carbs instead for a while and ease into wheat.
By the way, 12 pounds in Phase I is excellent! Your body may just be reorganizing!
Old 07-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #8  

Thanks again girls. So you dont think I should have any of the SBD foods or can I have them once or 2x a week? I love the bars and pizza. What would be the diff bwn me making my wraps myself dont the SBD ones have healthy stuff like lf dressing meat and cheese?
I am not giving up which is good. I might go back on part 1 for a few days because my cravings have come back a bit and now I am again hungry more often and then try what you girls suggested with the fruit. Should I just try to do 1 serving of fruit daily? Thanks again

Oh and pearshape you are great and doing fab. I am glad we have both decided to stick with this plan no matter what!

And Ruth how did you know I dont like to cook! Just kidding =)
Old 07-31-2005, 09:33 AM   #9  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Look at the ingredients on the packages. Lots of extra unpronouncable stuff in there. Making your own wrap leaves out all the chemicals and preservatives and other stuff they put in there to preserve it. Whole foods just don't have all that stuff in them. I've had the SBD pizza once this month and I think anything is OK if you eat it very rarely but not every day, IMO. It's just all the other junk you get with so called "healthy" pre-packaged food that is bad. I used to hate to cook too until a few years ago when I actually started cooking and now I love it. Maybe buy some quick and healthy cookbooks?? PM me and I'll recommend some if you want!
Old 07-31-2005, 11:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi Kimberly

I agree with everything that pearshape has written in the above post. Even though the products you are choosing are SBD legal, I think it's best if you can eat them only very occasionally.

I'm lucky in that Kraft dont sell the SBD products here in the UK - so its one less temptation for me.

Also you were asking about how to introduce fruit into P2, so I cut and pasted this from the FAQ section here. Beachgal posted it originally, its from the official SBD website.

"How to Start Phase II

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day One of Phase 2
From the Daily Dish, July 13, 2004

So you've made it successfully through Phase 1—now what? Proceed with caution as you begin Phase 2. Moving too quickly can cause cravings to return or weight loss to stall. Here are some tips on how to reintroduce carbs.

Start Small. Choose one carbohydrate—like a piece of fruit or a slice of whole-grain bread—and add it to one daily meal for one week. If after one week you're still losing weight and are free of cravings, then you can move on and begin adding more carbs. If your progress stalls, try a new carb until you find one that works.

Start With Something You've Missed. Dieters typically complain about missing their breakfast cereals the most when beginning The South Beach Diet™. If your cereal means a lot to you, try reintroducing that first, but make sure it's made with whole grains.

Expect Changes. The rapid weight loss associated with Phase 1 will not and should not continue into Phase 2. One to two pounds of weight loss per week is a healthy and achievable goal once you begin adding carbs back into your diet."

My first week on P2 has gone pretty well overall. I chose to introduce oatmeal back into my meal plan, so I've had that for breakfast some days. I've also added some fruit on a couple of days. I did have bad cravings on Friday and I caved but I know why it happened.

Overall, I'd say try to stay away from those SBD products as much as possible. Have them as a treat but not as a regular part of your food plan.

And dont forget, I understand that you are frustrated, but you have done so well so far!

Also there is some great advice about P2 in the FAQ section of the forum - I find myself referring to it a couple of times each day, it is very helpful.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:20 PM   #11  

Thanks ladies. Do you think doing part 1 for a week is ok since my cravings are back and then just adding fruit for the next week and no other carbs?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:21 PM   #12  

I should have never tried those SBD bars those are so good
Old 07-31-2005, 12:41 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

I hate to say it but...
FRANKENFOOD!
We should be eating real food!
You must admit that I've not said it for quite some time!
Old 07-31-2005, 04:45 PM   #14  

I know but its soooo good =(
Old 07-31-2005, 05:40 PM   #15  
Come on Spring!

Well, it's up to you. This is supposed to be a lifestyle change. Your choice!
Closed Thread