South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #1  

Default Has this happened to you?

Hi! I have been on SBD for 9 days. The last few days, when I wake up inthe morning, I have felt a little sick. The thought of eating much of anything makes me feel worse. I wondered if anyone else ever felt like that in Phase 1. Now, I am willing to concede that it could be because I recently started taking Glucaphage and my blood pressure medicine. So maybe that is making me feel bad. Anyway, I was just curious.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:25 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Glucophage (Metformin) can affect you that way but it does go away. 25% of patients have this although having the "runs" is more common. When I started Metformin, it took a few weeks to ditch feelings.

I don't know what BP med you are on but you could Google it and check out side-effects.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #3  

Which blood pressure med are you using? It is also possible that changing the time you take your medicine (with your doctor's okay) might help.

I know that sometimes I just didn't want to eat eggs one more time on phase 1. If you think that might be part of the problem, then check out the breakfast phase 1 section of the recipe forum for alternatives.

Also, whenever my stomach is a little queasy, I find that sipping warm mint tea really helps.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:42 PM   #4  

Metformin can definitely give you that nautious feeling. I would try taking it in the middle of a meal while you're getting used to it. It should go away after a couple weeks though. Hang in!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:46 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone! The BP med I'm taking is Lisinopril ans HCTZ. I will try taking the Bp med at night and see if that helps.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #6  

Kira, I have always taken my BP medicine at night. I used to take Toprol, HCTZ and Lisinopril (40mg) when I first started South Beach. Now I only take 5mg of Lisinopril. Please make sure that you get a good BP meter (not a wrist one) and that you check your pressure daily. I found that as I lost weight, I had to adjust my medicine every few months. The HCTZ was the first I gave up (my doctor doesn't like to use it if it isn't necessary since it gets so hot here in Texas that diuretics can be dangerous). Then the Toprol was the next I gave up since it was lowering my heart rate to 42. It actually raised my blood pressure since my heart had to pump extra hard since it was pumping so seldom.

I have gradually reduced the lisinopril from 40 to 20 to 10 and now to 5mg under the supervision of your doctor. I just want to make sure you monitor it since you can get dizzy if your blood pressure/pulse gets too low.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:56 PM   #7  

Barb~ Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I do need to get a BP moitor. I am in the process of getting a Blood Sugar monitor now. THat is amazing how you got off so many meds and reduced the others! WTG! I don't blame your dr for wanting to take you off the HCTZ. No matter how much I drink, I continually feel dried out. Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #8  

My blood pressure meter is an Reli-On which is made by the company that makes Omron (not sure of the spelling). I asked at Walgreen's and was told not to buy the ones that they sell but to get the Omron or Reli-On. I think I got it at Walmart. My doctor was emphatic that the wrist ones are not accurate. My DH has a wrist one and it never matches mine or a manual one. Mine is an automatic arm one and is easy to use. Oh, I also bought the large arm cuff. I needed it when I started but can now use the normal size one.

Dh uses a blood sugar monitor but not as often as he should.

Good luck! Exercise also helps a lot on lowering blood pressure. Even just walking.
Closed Thread