South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Question Pounds and dress sizes

Can anyone tell me how many pounds a person needs to lose, before they go down a dress size? Or is it different for each person?

And from that question, as you lost weight how did you cope with having enough clothes in your new size each time you dropped a size?

I started in a UK 20, which is a US 18. I have lots of clothes in UK 18 and a few in size 16 but when I hit UK 14 (US 12) I have no clothes to wear.Unless I dig out my clothes from 1988 which is when I was last a size 14! Yes I still have an old suitcase filled with clothes and lingerie from back then, that I kept for "when I could get back into them"!

I plan to get down to a UK size 10, but this is going to be pretty expensive if I have to keep buying new clothes!

How did you manage as you lost dress sizes?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:05 AM   #2  

I am not too sure. I lost 12lbs and I can fit into the same size and then one size smaller too if it was broken in before. I think I just need to start working out!!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #3  
Started SBD 1/26/04

I have heard that for every 20 pounds you lose you drop one dress size. From my previous dress size drop to the one this time I have only lost 5 pounds. So I guess everyone is different. It probably makes a difference if you are weight training or not also. I have been dropping inches like crazy but not much of any pounds right now.

As far as clothing in different sizes, I like most people have many different sizes in my closet. I also try to watch the sales now that I am losing weight and buy thing that are just a little to snug right now but in a few moths they fit pretty good and another few months they fit really good and another few months they get a little big and then by the time they are really baggy I have usually found other really good sales and have other things in my closet that are at the different stages. If/when I get small enough I figure I would try the good will shops as they usually have really good clothing for not a lot of money until I get to a size I am happy and comfortable with then I can start on my official new wardrobe.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:24 AM   #4  

Hi,
Right before starting "the beach" I was counting calories for two weeks and lost 10 pounds. I was going on vacation so went to Wally Mart to get clothes for vacation as I was already down one size.
I got several outfits very cheap...thinking that by the time they wear out I will hopefully be down one size or so.
I bought them slightly snug...and now they fit and are even getting a tiny bit loose!! I will be able to wear them awhile with belts etc...but plan on shopping at Wally mart until I reach my goal weight.
I also love thrift stores, especially the nicer ones because you can get so many great bargains there!!
As for your suitcase full of clothes...I bet many of them are back in style again! Retro is so hot right now!!!
Keep up all the good work!!
wow Sheba's Mom you are doing GREAT!! I thought about you a lot on vacation and hoped things were going well for you!!
Have a wonderful and blessed day everyone!!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

I am weight training again, and last time I lost some weight I weight trained a lot and flew down in sizes from a 20 to a 16 in about 6 weeks, even though the scale wasnt reflecting that kind of weight loss.

Thats a great idea to watch the sales too - we are going on a beach holiday in September and I have nothing to wear, so I guess I should hit the shops tomorrow as we have the sales on here right now. Its all summer clothes on the rails too. I'll go for things that are a little snug right now.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #6  

I've gone down 6 sizes and almost 80 pounds. What I did was pick up stuff from garage sales when I was in those intermediate sizes. I also only bought new stuff about every other size. Buy just what you need to get by until you get close to where you expect to be.

What really got expensive was buying new bras. I went from 42DDD to 36C and tried to get away with the minimum.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #7  
gotta lose it!

Artemis - I haven't lost much weight...I keep going up & down the same 6lbs, but I have been exercising & that alone, I've went from a 20 to a 18 & people tell me that I look smaller. I think everyone is different. When I did adtkins & lost 30lbs I went from a 18 to a 12/14. I recommend some excerise!!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:19 PM   #8  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

For me, it's been every 12 pounds I go down a size. I should hit 14 (US) by 185 pounds. If I can ever get there. I've been betwen 205 and 195 for a year now!!! I started at 251+ pounds at a size 24. Now at 193 or so, I am a nice 16.

What I did was sell my used but in good condition clothes on eBay to help subsidize. Right now I only own 3 pairs of pants that fit, which stinks because I am constantly recycling. But once I get to a 14, I think I will find a few more. My body likes to get used to a size for a bit. My ultimate goal is a size 12 (maybe 10).

I just use coupons too (lane Bryant is good for this) and get 1/2 of my wardrobe (which, I know, isn't very big) in one felt swoop by taking $75 off $150 or more.

That's when I do my shopping there. Otherwise, I pick up a piece here and there when I can.

For the fall, I HAVE to get more clothing, especially another suit. but I want to wait to get to a size 14, which I hope will come by October

Last edited by jenne1017; 07-25-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #9  
gotta lose it!

Artemis...sorry I forgot about the clothes part. I work retail so I get good deals & discounts. Remember July & Jan are the clearance season for retails...especially Jan because Feb starts a new fiscal year & everyone wants to sell their inventory.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:44 PM   #10  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Soon thanks for the tip of when to watch for the best sales. Helps us poor working gals out.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #11  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

It takes me at least 15 lbs to go down a pant size. My shirt size doesn't really change since all my weight is below the waist. I shop a lot so I'll probably just buy clothes as I get smaller but they'll be cheap until I reach my goal. Good idea, Jen, about selling on ebay....will have to do that. I spent tons of money earlier this year when I first discovered ebay, now maybe I can get some of that back !
Old 07-25-2005, 04:53 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Artemis, I'm sorry if I'm repeating what others have said, but this was a huge issue for me as I lost so I want to reply but don't have time to read all the other posts.

I found that it took a lot of lost pounds to drop a dress size in the beginning. In the US, 16 is the top size for regular women (and it used to be 14 and still is in some stores). I was a size 28. It took me at least 40 pounds (maybe 50?) to get down to a 26, and another 40-50 to get down to 24. I was at about 20 I think, when I'd lost a little over 100 pounds. Since then, ever 10-15 pounds drops another size. I'm in size 16 pants, but they're loose, and into size 12 skirts, and I've lost about 125 pounds or so. It's incredibly confusing. But keep in mind that there is a bigger gap between the larger sizes than the smaller ones.

I spent most of my time combing second hand stores for my clothes and I used clothespins on many of my old things. It really helped keep the cost down! I'm selling my old things at consignment stores. Seemed cheaper and less hassle than e-bay, but that's also an option.

Hope that helps!
Closed Thread