South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Default Things I've learned...

I really liked what Sarah had to say about cheating yesterday, and Val made a great contribution regarding learning from our "mistakes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahyu
I've learned that I will not volunteer for another Smithsonian Folk Life Festival in the food section again. That was painful and I will not go through that again.

I've learned that if I am sitting with a bunch of friends with munchies in the middle of the table I will eat until well past full, without even thinking about it ---so sit farther away from the munchies. I've picked up the plate and said "get these away from me, put them at the other end and don't let me get to it."
What kind of things have YOU learned about yourself during your weight loss journey?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #2  
going places

Some of the things I've learned -

having a plan makes all the difference. Not only with staying OP but also with my mood for the day.

There are going to be good days and bad days...we are emotional creatures (especially women) and a bad day does not mean it's all over...it simply means we are human.

The scale is a tool, not the holy grail. If I weigh myself every day and average 2-3 pounds a week lost...then that means there are going to be 4-5 days a week that I will be disappointed in myself. Weighing once a week or twice a week on consecutive days will show my total weight loss and be much more satisfying.

There are certain foods/treats that I absolutely CANNOT allow in my house. This has been difficult with DBF plus our 4 boys here but I learned early on that they'll survive. I can deal with their whining and complaining.

Variety in my meal plan makes things so much easier on me mentally. Although it's nice to make a batch of something that will last a week, I find it's easier for me to stick to the plan when I enjoy a variety of different foods at every meal, every day.

That's just a few -
Old 07-20-2005, 10:01 AM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I've learned that no matter what I look like weight wise, I won't be happy with myself unless I am happy with the me WITHIN the fat.

I've learned how to take a compliment when it comes to my appearance.

I've learned how to say "no" when it comes to having a drink.

I've learned how to chose celery over cookies.

I guess I've learned a lot. Thanks Ellis for posting this!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #4  

I have learned that I am just fine if I eat a grilled chicken salad instead of a sandwich for lunch.

I have learned that a little bit of hunger won't kill me. I'm not talking stomach rumbling, haven't-eaten-all-day hunger...I'm talking late night desires for for toast and chocolate milk, stomach slightly growling at me as I lie in bed; I have learned that not only am I okay by ignoring it, but I feel much better in the morning than if I satisfied that urge.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #5  

I've learned that I really can feel full eating smaller portions.

I've learned that sometimes if I feel hungry, I just need to drink more water.

I learned that I *have* to eat some protein in the morning or I'll start feeling lightheaded-ish by snacktime.

I found I really don't miss rice and potatoes as much as I thought I would. Actually, I like couscous a lot more.

I learned if I plan out what my meals will be and stick to it, it's easier to get through the day.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:08 AM   #6  

I've learned that it's not food that nourishes nor comforts my soul.
I've learned that I am stronger than I thought.
I've learned that self talk is a powerful tool.
I've learned that giving and getting support,words of wisdom and encouragement on this site enriches my path of life ..
Old 07-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #7  

I've learned that fat is not a bad thing, and that a little bit of olive oil in my cooking will not cause me to become a blimp.
I've learned that eating the right fats and more protein makes me feel better and look healthier, especially in my skin and hair.
I've learned that there are some really great vegetarian meat substitutes out there.
I've learned that there are some things I know I cannot yet have "simply a taste" of without blowing it into a binge, and that's okay. Like Val said, I know my limits and what I can and cannot have around.
I've learned that getting healthier is a lot easier as a team/family.
I've learned that ricotta cheese is good, that I really do love to cook, and that I can make some wonderful "mock" recipes for delicious dishes even on Phase 1!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #8  
Princess

I've learned that I was not in control of food, it was in control of me.

I've learned that planning out my meals, and sticking with it makes me less likely to just stop by the drive thru or call for delivery.

I've learned that the number on the scale isn't all that I should be striving for, but rather better numbers in bloodwork, and overall just feeling more healthy everyday.

I've learned that passing on a healthy eating lifestyle to my children would be one of the greatest gifts I could give them.

And most of all, I've learned that there will be good days, and there will be bad days, but I cannot give up. I have to keep going!

Thanks for posting this Ellis, and allowing me to look at what I have learned over the last week

Last edited by gracelikerain; 07-20-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #9  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Ellis this is a great post. Thanks.

I have learned that I am very much an emotional eater and that I am learning how to defuse my triggers.

I have learned that I really do enjoy exercise and feel so much better when I move my "fluffy butt" in some kind of activity every day.

I have learned that I can't do grain and fruit for breakfast.

I have leaned that eating out is one of my big triggers for eating anything and everything.

I have learned how to listen to my body and not my emotions when it comes to eating.

I have learned that it is much easier to change your way of life when your family is willing to do it with you.

I have learned that just because the scale isn't moving doesn't mean I'm not loosing "weight".

I have learned to look at something and think do I really need that to survive or do I just want it and if I just want it why do I think I need it right now.

I have learned that I am not dieting. I can't stay on a diet the rest of my life. I am retraining myself on how I should eat to live healthy. I have also learned that just because I made a poor eating choice today doesn't mean I need to keep eating poorly.

And last but certainly not least I have learned that even though my husband supports me in everything I do that I still need you ladies for a cheering squad. Simply because you know nothing about me but are still willing to support me and listen to me when I need to complain about something.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:23 PM   #10  

I'll admit, I can't figure out how to do these "Quote" thingies..so I will just say..that I nod my head in agreement on so much that has been shared... Shebas..7-9 points are spot on for me too! Thanks for expressing what I could or did not so eloquently
Old 07-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #11  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I've learned that protein and vegetables in the morning keep me satisfied for hours.

I've learned that water makes my skin glow.

I've learned that I need to be prepared with snacks for when I get ravenous.

I've learned not to skip meals.

I've learned that beans are delicious.

I've learned that when I don't eat processed, refined carbs I feel better and have more energy.

I've learned that my super-healthy eating as a child is all coming back to me now making this WOE much easier this time around.

I've learned that getting people to try tofu is doing them a favor.

I've learned that even though I'm not thin I am otherwise healthy, my blood pressure is 90/55, my cholesterol is 160, my triglycerides are normal, my blood sugar is normal, I do not smoke, and I have more stamina on all day hikes than most people with me.

I've learned that for every time I call myself "fat" my dbf tells me two times how beautiful I am.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #12  

Height: 5'-2"

By golly, I'm glad I posted this, too!
You girls are AMAZING!

I'm going to print off all of your "things learned". Thanks for sharing, girls!

Schatzi, darling, hit the little "QUOTE" button at the bottom of the post you want to quote. Or do this... write ... [quote=name of gal] then write the quote ... and then put /quote in these brackets []
didja get that?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I've learned that when I'm annoyed with DH because he didn't unload the dishwasher for 2 days in a row, it doesn't make it better to eat a 1/2 box of triscuts while fuming about how inconsiderate he is.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #14  
Kyemom

LOL, Sarah I am so with you!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:37 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
I've learned that when I'm annoyed with DH because he didn't unload the dishwasher for 2 days in a row, it doesn't make it better to eat a 1/2 box of triscuts while fuming about how inconsiderate he is.
word.

I've learned that my dh is more open -minded about changing our diet than I thought he would be. Some of this comes in support for what I am doing, and some of it is a desire to eat healthier.

I've learned that the kids don't miss white bread, that they even prefer the whole grain bread I've been giving them. Even if I can't have it right now, I thought I'd start transitioning them

I've learned to listen to my body instead of just mindlessly eating because I'm bored/tired/upset etc,etc.
Closed Thread