I want to kiss my RE

• I had my first appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist today, and it was great. He took one look at the test results for bloodwork I had done in JANUARY of 2004 and could tell that I DO have PCOS (something that regular OB's kept denying for the last 1 1/2 years). I'm upset that I suffered untreated for so long when it wasn't necessary, but at least I know what is going on now.

He told me to keep going on the SBD, but I'm going to start taking metformin tomorrow, which in theory should help me lose weigh tlike a "normal" person. I hope so! It was getting discouraging to diet and exercise and see no results. Hopefully, I'll eventually get to a healthy weight and be able to manage it with diet and exercise alone.

I am looking forward to seeing the scale move in the near future. Thanks for the positive notes and encouragement--it really helped me stick with it.
  • Well FINALLY some answers for you gal! Congrats!
  • I know how good it feels to get answers AND to be moving foward. We all like to see the scale move down but remember, it's about getting/ being healthy.
    hugs,
    Lydia
  • Sarah, that is wonderful news! I mean wonderful that you found out. You must have been so frustrated. I'm sure the meds will make a big difference for you.

When I read the title of your post, I thought it meant, "I want to kiss my rear end." I thought, "Gee... THAT'S really rude of Sarah! That's not like her!"
  • Yah Sarah!! That's how I felt too so I definitely know what you mean LOL

• Great news, Sarah! Now onward and downward.

For years I struggled with my weight and did not lose on any diet. Then I started Metformin and started to lose very slowly but the scale finally moved in the right direction!
  • Ellis, I thought the same thing

Sarah -- glad you got some answers!
  • LOL Me too! So glad you got some answers! Good lUck!
  • Me too!
    i had a similar problem. my doctor kept telling me if i lost weight that my blood sugar would go down. i couldn't do it. when i went to a PA that i had seen before, she told me i would have a difficult time losing weight until i got my blood sugar under control and recommended the SBD and she put me on metformin.

after taking the metformin for 5 days my blood sugar was still 180 to 200. at the end of phase 1, it was down to 120 and i had lost 14 pounds. after 4 weeks my sugar is usually between 80 and 100. i guess my point is: don't be discouraged if your sugar doesn't go down right away. stick to the diet, get some exercise, and take those meds.

i was real ticked off that the doctor hadn't helped me with some information.
    i hated being labled a diabetic. i wish we could spread the word to the whole country that this is the way to eat to stay healthy. we are seriously lacking in nutrition education.

stick with us.
  • Ok...Sorry but what is this PCOS and what is Metformin??
  • Quote: Ok...Sorry but what is this PCOS and what is Metformin??
    Polycystic Ovary Syndrome affects an estimated 5-10 percent of women of childbearing age and it is a leading cause of infertility. It is the most common endocrinopathy among reproductive age women. As many as 30 percent of women have some characteristics of the syndrome.

There are a LOT of different symptoms of PCOS.

Metformin is a drug that has been used to help control blood glucose levels in people with Type 2 Diabetes.
    Metformin appears to work in three ways: it decreases the absorption of dietary carbohydrates through the intestines, it reduces the production of glucose by the liver, & increases the sensitivity of muscle cells to insulin.

Most sufferes of PCOS also are Insulin resistant, meaning the muscles do not process the insulin correctly, making blood insulin levels high. This also causes the glucose to be turned into fat instead of being used as fuel for the muscles. IR patients have a hard time with hunger since their body is not processing fuel as it should and they tend to be hungry, even after full meals.

I may have missed something but I don't have time to type more.
    Hope this helped!
  • Wow Fl_mom--I didn't know the part about making me more hungry. Maybe that's why I feel less hungry since I started taking the Met.