3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   quick introduction from new beacher :) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/58376-quick-introduction-new-beacher.html)

skyesque 05-23-2005 08:59 AM

quick introduction from new beacher :)

Hey everyone,

I'm starting Phase I today, and I'm new to this community. This is the first low-carb diet I have ever tried, and I think it will work really well for me as I've always struggled with blood sugar and have a history of diabetes in my family.

I'm looking forward to the heart benefits as much as everything else. I'm 25 years old and am starting to show signs of high cholesterol, even though I only have about 20-25 pounds to lose.

Had some scrambled eggs with 2 percent cheese slice today for breakfast. I'm drinking my water here at work, and I've brought a part-skim cheese stick for a snack. So far so good.

My question for all of you: This diet is promoted as helping you lose belly fat first. For those of you have been on this a while, have you found that to be true?

Gryffgirl 05-23-2005 09:16 AM

Welcome to the beach! I started Phase I myself, today as well. Also, I am 23 and also show signs of high cholesterol. Well, it was 200 at my last check and I'd like to get it off boarderline. I am really excited. I am looking forward to heart health too. I haven't seen any loss myself personally, but friends of mine who have lost certainly see it in the tummy first. Good luck and I hope you like it here! :D

Sunnybunny 05-23-2005 09:27 AM

I have lost everywhere, but I feel it in my lower and upper abdomen. My biggest loss was in my chest. When I first started I was wearing a 52G bra and now I am wearing a 46DD. Needless to say, I am quite happy about this. I have lost 36 inches so far and I only measured my breasts, below my breasts, waist and hips.

xJennJennx 05-23-2005 09:37 AM

I'm also starting Phase 1 today, I was on SBD at the beginning of the year and saw a big loss in the tummy area after only 3 weeks, hoping the same happens this time as that is my most troubled area....Good Luck

Barb0522 05-23-2005 09:54 AM

I have also lost quite a bit on my chest (from a 42DDD to a 36C but that was welcome). My waist has gone down so much that I am able to wear size 8 pants when I started at a size 20. I lost quite a bit of belly fat through South Beach. I would strongly recommend that you add toning exercising when you get to phase 2 in order to help firm up your body as you lose weight.

Be aware that you have very little to lose compared to most of us so it will be a slow loss. You are also much younger than many of us (I'm 42) so your skin will be more elastic and should firm up better as you lose weight.

I will also mention that my cholesterol is normal and it was 246 when I started South Beach so this will probably help you. Make sure you aim for 4 1/2 cups of vegetables a day. That will really help you to lose weight in a healthy manner. Be sure you have read the latest food lists in the FAQ section. There is lots of good information there. And welcome to all the newcomers!

Ruthxxx 05-23-2005 10:53 AM

Welcome to The Beach, Skyesque.

Please feel free to join the thread for those starting Phase I on May 23 so you can give and get support during the next two weeks.

Here's the link

AZLowcarber 05-23-2005 11:31 AM

Welcome! I've been losing all over. For me, the stomach is the last to go :)

beachgal 05-23-2005 12:57 PM

Skyesque, welcome! :wave: Remember that SBD is NOT a low-carb diet but a GOOD carb diet. We don't try to eat less carbs (in fact, we don't care about the number of grams of carbohydrates we eat), we try to eat only good carbs and good fats. In phase 1, you are limiting your fruits and starches, but you are still allowed to eat things that are full of carbs, like beans, bell peppers, and tomatoes. In fact, you want to eat those to help you with your detox from sugar...they'll make it easier, and the beans will also give you fiber to keep you from having problems with constipation.

Make sure you are getting at least 4.5 cups of veggies daily. In order to do that, you really need to make them a part of every major meal (including breakfast) and at least one snack. If you poke around, you'll find tons of suggestions for ways to get your veggies in. How about putting some in your eggs and having some laughing cow cheese on celery or cucumber 'crackers'? Not only will veggies fill you up, but they'll give you nutrients which you really will need these next two weeks.

And drink tons of water...at least 64 oz a day. That's plain water (at most with some real lemon or lime juice added in)...crystal light and soda don't count. You want it to be able to be passed through your system without processing.

I definitely lost belly fat first, but I have the most fat in my belly (or had), so that wasn't too surprising to me. I lose all over, at weird times. All of a sudden, I'll find that my clothes are fitting better somewhere, and then it will be somewhere else. I had one breast that was a cup smaller than the other for a while! :lol: Everyone is different, and you'll figure out what your body does as time passes. Good luck! :goodluck:

jenne1017 05-23-2005 05:30 PM

:lol: Laurie you crack me up!

I can't imagine my b00bs any smaller -- although I wish they were. Once I hit goal weight and stay there for at least a year, I am going to get a reduction!

MarineTubaMom 05-24-2005 07:04 AM

Welcome to the Beach!

little chick 05-24-2005 07:11 AM

Welcome to the beach.

ellis 05-24-2005 08:13 AM

Welcome to the Beach! :wave:

Islander 05-24-2005 05:13 PM

:wave: Welcome to the beach!! ;)

Schatzi 05-24-2005 08:09 PM

I'm new too

Hi Skyesqe, I'm new too. Good luck to you!...
Take it 1 step..er....pound at a time! :)