3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Celebrating a year of health and weightloss... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/57077-celebrating-year-health-weightloss.html)

beachgal 04-28-2005 09:46 AM

Celebrating a year of health and weightloss...

Yippee!!! :hat:

This is a huge first for me...a whole year on the same plan. A new WOE, for real. :)

One year ago today, I weighed 328 pounds (or more!), my ankles were swollen, I was incontinent, out of breath after climbing one flight of stairs in the morning, structured my life at home to reduce how much I climbed the stairs or moved because it was painful, had terrible pain in my back, hips, shoulders, and ribs (from the underwire of my bras digging in), it took me about five minutes of excruciating pain for my back to straighten out when I lay down at night, I had increasingly bad cholesterol, blood pressure, and pulse, and I had a terrible self image. I could no longer do things I once enjoyed: ballet, wear skirts comfortably (my legs rubbed together), hike, go for walks (my hips and back hurt), yoga (I couldn't do many positions because my fat was in the way). My fat was pressing on my organs and I was in a lot of pain. Life was NOT good. On top of it all, DH and I wanted to get pregnant, and I knew there was no way I was ever going to be able to healthily become pregnant at that weight.

I picked up a copy of SBD at Wal*Mart one night after my doctor recommended it. I was thinking I would look it over, just to see, but DH was so excited that I had bought it...and I figured I might as well try it. I read the book, poked around online, found 3FC, read the FAQ and many, many threads, rid the house of OP food, did a two week binge of my favorite foods (not that I"d recommend it, but it helped me stay away from cravings later), and started when I knew I would have the time to commit to doing Phase 1 without cheats. Phase 1 was tough for me, especially the first three days of detox, but after one week, I had lost 13 pounds. :hat: Another week and another 13 pounds later, I was almost into 200-land! :D

Now, a year later, I've lost about 111 pounds or so, and I'm healthier than I've been in more than a decade. I work out and all of the problems mentioned above are gone or much better. My blood pressure yesterday was 120/54. My pulse was 82. My cholesterol is back to normal. :D It's a good life and getting better every day. :sunny:

I know that I could never have made it this far without all of your support. This forum has made my journey infinitely more pleasurable and successful. The recipes you've posted, your encouragement when I was down or on a long plateau, and the questions you've posted that made me rethink what I'm doing have had no small part in my success so far. I look forward to continuing this journey with you and seeing your successes. :D :jig:

Yay for SBD and our beach chickies! :D

Ruthxxx 04-28-2005 10:00 AM

Oh, Laurie, I'm having a little weep of happiness for you! You have done so well and are such an asset to this site! (((Laurie)))
:) :dance: :bravo: :balloons: :bravo: :dance: :)

Barb0522 04-28-2005 10:07 AM

Laurie, you have done so well! I think one of the great things about South Beach is that it works no matter how much you have to lose. We lost a very good friend to extreme obesity (over 500 pounds) and I rejoice when I see people getting healthier. You are one of the biggest motivators on this site and such a wealth of knowledge.

Sunnybunny 04-28-2005 10:28 AM

You are a true inspiration Laurie! I am so glad that I found this sight and really appreciate your insight and encouragement.

I am really proud of your accomplishment and wish you all the best for another year on the beach!

soon2Bfab 04-28-2005 10:32 AM

Hurray Laurie!!! I am so happy that you are healthy!!! You are such an inspiration to me & others. I always look for your posts because they are so informative!!! Thank you for sharing your weight loss journey & successes with us!!!

:dance: :dancer: :dance: :dancer:

Sassygal 04-28-2005 10:46 AM

Congratulations!!

You are such an inspiration!! I can't wait until the day that I'm posting my one year message!

All of you chickies have helped me so much in the past week or so that I've been coming to this board. Much love to you all!!

SoCalBirdLady 04-28-2005 11:22 AM

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing your success. I have seen your posts but had no idea how long you have been sticking to this and how well you have done.

I can relate to the physical issues you describe even though I am "only" 230. This has motivated me more than anything to eat healthy and get in better shape. The fact that this is really "do-able" is what I need to hear. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

BirdLady

AZLowcarber 04-28-2005 12:38 PM

Congrats to you!

Reg4242 04-28-2005 01:56 PM

Congratulation's on your new life.
Awesome accomplishment.

2BFIT1 04-28-2005 02:42 PM

Laurie,
I am so happy for you!!! You have worked so hard and stayed focused. Your new found health is the biggest gift that you can give to yourself. Way to go, Laurie!! You are the perfect example that SB will work if you stick with it!! Thank you so much for your positive attitude and inspiration to all of us!!! :bravo:
It won't be long before you are announcing the arrival of a "little one" :bb: .

Bamiegurl 04-28-2005 03:08 PM

Oh Laurie that is so wonderful! You definatly have something to celebrate and be proud of! I am very proud of you! You are an inspiration to us all! Makes me feel ashamed of myself for being on the beach since the end of last Jan. and still fightin it. I should have reached goal along time ago! I am doin it this time though! We'll all be hangin around here stayin healthy watchin your babies grow up! Congrats! You've come a long way baby! lol

beachgal 04-28-2005 03:52 PM

Ah, thank so much, chicks! :grouphug: :thanks: It means SO much to have your support!!

Bamie, you are doing GREAT! Don't go imposing shoulds on yourself, okay? You are almost halfway there and on your way... :D

Ruth, you darling, this forum wouldn't be half of what it is without you and Ellis. You are both incredible women. :love: :grouphug:

Yes, SBD is definitely Do-able!!! I've never stuck to a diet longer than a month or two before, and sticking to this one has never been a problem for me. :D