3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   LENT is making this harder (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/53258-lent-making-harder.html)

mkmax 02-09-2005 06:03 PM

LENT is making this harder

Now that it is lent--- that means no meat on fridays. I am having a hard time since I cannot eat lunchmeat or chicken anymore--- and eating seafood is not feasible for me because I do not have time to cook lunch! Anything seafood is breaded too. How are some of you doing this, besides the tuna salad and boring salads?

~Nat~ 02-09-2005 06:58 PM

There is a nummy recipe for Eggplant Parmesan in the recipe section under Phase I.

Have you tried substituting some Salmon for the Tuna? You can buy it in a can or a packet like you can Tuna.

I have found that sometimes I need to make my lunch the night before. Last night we had Tilapia for dinner and no leftovers so I made the Easy Salsa Bake Chicken to take for lunch today and tomorrow.

What about some soup or a veggie chili?

Sometimes it's all about planning ahead.

Good luck!!!

Barb0522 02-10-2005 09:24 AM

Soups would work great or any bean based dish. Last night I had the Meatball and veggie pasta sauce dish from the cookbook. I skipped the meatballs (I try to avoid meat on Ash Wednesday too) and ate the sauce with all the vegetables with the pasta. If you are on phase 1, you could serve it over spaghetti squash.

I know we have said that the artificial crabmeat has starches and fillers but I think it would be okay for a Lenten lunch salad. It is on the approved lists of salads from Subway.

AZLowcarber 02-10-2005 09:38 AM

Shrimp is a wonderful option :)

Ruthxxx 02-10-2005 10:05 AM

And then there are the veggie meat options! And tofu stir fried with veggies.

beach bum 02-10-2005 02:07 PM

Hi What about Bosca veggie burgers or any veggie product . You can use them in so many ways.Veggie Bacon on WW Bread(Phase2) veggie sausages with pepper & onions(phase 1) breakfasts. Hope that helps Hugs BB

Bamiegurl 02-10-2005 02:21 PM

Hey Beach Bum welcome!

AZLowcarber 02-10-2005 04:34 PM

How about Black bean soup?

beachgal 02-10-2005 05:57 PM

Mkmax, look for any vegatarian dishes. You can find lots of great vegetarian meals at www.cookinglight.com (you have to register, but it's free and worth it). You can also check out some vegetarian cookbooks from the library--I love Moosewood's cookbooks, and one that was recommended on here by another SBDer is great too, called Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

In Phase 2 you can make a cheese sandwich or a PB and J (SF jam) sandwich and have it with some Lentil soup (Progresso makes an SBD safe one) or Black bean soup for more protein and fiber.

I love Morningstar's Tomato Basil burgers. No meat, and good on SBD, at least by my reckoning. Put a slice of 1% cheese on top to melt, and eat with a knife and fork, or put it on bread for a sandwich. I actually have these for breakfast once a week and they smell so good (like pizza) that my coworker, a confirmed meat-eater, made them for her family. They all loved them! :D

There's tons you can do. Just think outside the box!

Barb0522 02-11-2005 09:40 AM

LOL! Laurie, I think you meant in phase 2, you can make a sandwich - not phase 1. ;) Although, my son likes to make a sandwich with two slices of cheese with peanut butter in between. That would be phase 1 if you use the right cheese and peanut butter.

beachgal 02-11-2005 05:40 PM

:o Oops, you're right, Barb, I meant Phase 2!

Today for lunch I had a taco salad. I made it with veggie taco meat. It actually comes in a box and you just add it to boiling water and 2 tsp of oil. It takes maybe 9 minutes total to make, and you could easily make it the night before and put it on a salad to take to lunch the next day. Tastes just like taco meat to me, but less greasy. Very good! :T

Mamacita 02-12-2005 05:24 AM

Another option, but again, one that requires planning, is to make haystacks. These were a staple in our household when the kids were growing up and going to a private school where meat was not served.

Use some FF refried beans or just seasoned pinto beans as a base and mound up layers of seasoned taco meat (use veggie burger) shredded romaine lettuce, tomatoes (sparingly if you're still on P1) shredded LF cheese, salsa and plain yogurt or sour cream.

I had this just the other day and it made a delicious and filling lunch.

Mamacita

ChinkyDragonfly 02-16-2005 08:51 PM

Veggie burgers piled high w/ sprouts or other veggies.
Grilled seafood is available most places. You can also pre-cook a piece of salmon at home and bring in. Takes only 5 mins or less on the George Foreman.
Trader Joes sells veggie meatballs. Those are pretty good.
Or falafels?

beachgal 02-17-2005 05:11 PM

Yup...a salad with crumbled veggie "meat" or just beans and cheese, plus lots of veggies.

Those haystacks sound delicious. :T

How about making the Taco Bake, but with no meat and double the beans? Or you could use veggie taco meat.

You could order steamed veggies from a Chinese place...or tofu! Bring your own brown rice to put it on. :D

There is so much out there...I think figuring this stuff out can be a lot of fun, but I see how it can be stressful when you have a lot on your plate.