Not New to Board but New to South Beach

• My wife and I have gained a little weight during the past few months (including during our recent vacation) and now looking to get back under control, and back down to our goal weights. We've decided to use South Beach, since it represents a nice change of pace from the approach we've been using for the past few years (low-calorie). Today's our first day!

I have some questions that the book didn't answer. The first one, though, may seem strange: Non-fat non-dairy creamer. I'm addicted to this white powder. Does anyone have any insight into how careful I need to be. It's just 2 gm per serving, and I am going to try to keep myself to maybe 8 or 9 servings a day.
  • I too was addicted to the powdered creamer but instead of taking chances I switched to FF half and half. I have finally gotten used to it and don't miss the powder at all. Good Luck toyou and your wife.
  • Brian, I stir up a batch of powdered skim milk in the morning and heat some in my mug before pouring in the coffee. It's a little latteish-like. (the darned thing stays hot longer, too!)
    You're going to be told that the creamer is a no-no (Ruth), but frankly, I think that if it's your only vice, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Good luck to you and your wife!!
  • Ahem! I won't yell FRANKENFOOD! because the Good Fat/Good Carb Guide says "good" for the original powdered non-dairy creamer. One teaspoon has 1 carb, 1 sugar and 2 fat according to the Guide. However, I wonder what's in it but then I obsess over stuff like that.

Welcome to The Beach Bicker and Mrs. Bicker. There's lots of advice here that is not covered in the book.
  • Eating EIGHT OR NINE servings of non-dairy creamer (and other insanely processed food that has nothing of substance) is a great way to set yourself up for cancer!
  • Yeah, I would stay away from the creamer, bicker. Truly. I'm shocked that the GFGCG says it's good...

It is almost always made with partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats) that are the most deadly of all cholesterol causers. Definitely drop the container and run far, far away!

How about evaporated skim milk? 1% milk? If you have to, use whole milk or even 1/2 and 1/2...both are better for you than the trans fats.
  • 8 or 9 servings, like in 8 or 9 cups of coffee? i hope some of that is decaf!

not trying to sound like a preacher, i was just surprised by the 8 or 9 servings! i love the stuff too, but i usually only have 1 or 2 cups of coffee with 1 or 2 servings of the creamer.
  • It kind of threw me too. I was ready to yell the F word but then checked the Guide.
  • I did resonate well with the fact that the non-dairy creamer was listed as acceptable on South Beach, but I suppose asked the question because I was a bit uneasy about the number of carbohydrates it represents. I suppose, having done Atkins at one point, and having counted dietary exchanges in a previous life, and having spent the last three years counting calories, protein grams, portions of fruit and vegetables, and calories burned during exercise, I'm a bit uneasy whenever I'm faced with a situation where something is "allowed" without any formal control to ensure I don't overdo it, other than advice to "be reasonable." Sometimes I feel that if I could readily "be reasonable" I wouldn't be have to work to control my weight!

I know the other risks associated with the creamer, but found that it is practically essential to my ability to maintain my weight-loss. I've managed to give almost everything else up, and happily, but rich, creamy coffee is a non-negotiable item for me. On Atkins, I could have heavy cream, but 9+ tablespoons of heavy cream is about 400 calories! I'm pretty sure that's not going to be a good thing for me! So, if I shouldn't worry about the carbohydrates, then I suppose I should go worry about something else.

Incidently, I rarely drink regular coffee -- decaf is the way to go for me.
  • Don't sweat it, Bicker. You are an experienced and successful dieter. I sure as heck hope you have vices other than creamer!
  • Hehe... y'know, I'm kinda hoping to keep my dietary vices under control for the next few weeks, though -- limiting it to just the one. We'll see how I do!

Thanks!
  • Quote: Eating EIGHT OR NINE servings of non-dairy creamer (and other insanely processed food that has nothing of substance) is a great way to set yourself up for cancer!
    Geez, if we're going to talk cancer, let's just draw up a list of carcinogens! If we include the fruits and vegetables covered in pesticides and pollutants, we might be left with a couple of things.

Brian, you have lovely manners.
  • Well Brian oh first welocme! Second I'm a coffee mate chick myself! I love it since I can't have my flavored creamer anymore! So don't worry if they throw sand your way I'll be there with ya and your wife if she uses it as well! lol Again welcome to you and your chick!
  • Thanks! My wife is luckily immune from my affliction. She just uses some milk