SBD Crock Pot Recipes?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I got a crock pot for Christmas and I've been using it 2-3x/week (did you know you can make oatmeal in it?!) and love it. But most of my recipes are not really SBD-friendly. Since I am starting in two days I would love to make a big vat of some soup, chili, or something like that, to take for lunches during the week. Any ideas for me? I don't need vegetable soup because I canned a bunch of that this past summer, but it's nice to have some different things. I don't buy store-bought soups anymore because they are too high in sodium and "mystery ingredients."
  • There are several recipes in the Recipe Forum. Ethiopian Chicken comes to mind. I knew about the oatmeal trick. I've been throwing a bunch of soup ingredients into the pot and letting it cook overnight. Pea soup for breakfast is quite comforting some mornings! You can also do a search in allrecipes for South Beach and will come up with some more ideas. I think I posted that in the FAQ section or did I? I'm still losing my mind!
  • Thanks, those are perfect!!!
  • And then there's Black Bean Soup http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ighlight=Crock
    And Chicken Cacciatore http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...pot#post681121
    And Spicy SHredded Pork http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...light=crockpot

Just a few that I pulled up with a search for crockpot. Have fun.
  • I threw a Hawaiian themed dinner party a few weeks ago and cooked the most delicious crock pot dish - Kahlua Pig. Despite the alcoholic name, Kahlua actually means in the pit.

Rub 6-8 pound pork shoulder or lean cut with sea salt and liquid smoke
    place in crock pot with 2 cups of apple cider or juice (forget about using sugarfree here, you recover most of the cider when it's done cooking)
    Cook for 6-8 hours.
    Pull apart and serve.
  • Have you tried stuffed bell peppers? I have a good recipe I just omit the rice. It's a 4hr crockpot recipe...

How about meatloaf (without crackers or oatmeal (unless your phase II) ? Whole chicken, with rosemary and thyme? ( I got one at Walmart for 2.60.) Chili?

I cook in my Rival about 3-4x a week. IM a single working Mom and need that extra 30-45 minutes to relax after work....
  • I love to make Italian Beef Roast. Super easy and delicious. Take a beef roast, pour a 15 oz.jar of pepperoncinis on top (with the juice) and put it on low for as long as you like. It will be done in 5 or so hours but it will be 'melt in your mouth, falling apart tender' if you let it cook for 8 or more hours.
  • Another easy one that is also 2 dishes. Take a lean beef roast and add 2 cans of beef broth and a sliced onion, plus any seasonings you enjoy (I use garlic powder for this dish). When the roast is done, remove and then you have a roast and french onion soup. The soup is fantastic!
  • One more and then I will shush

Take a frozen bone in turkey breast (one that doesn't come with a gravy packet so that it doesnt' have to be removed) put it in your crockpt with the breast side up. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on low for 7 to 10 hours, dependent on the size breast you buy and whether or not you like a sliceable turkey or a 'falling apart' turkey.
  • mmmm... thanks for the recipe ideas, girls! (when I get a minute, I'll put them in the recipe section, Ruthie and Laurie)
    Hunny, do you think you could share your recipe for the stuffed peppers, please?
  • Yep, I will post them tonight. I think it could be a PH 1 recipe.. pretty sure...
  • Thanks, hon!
  • bumping this for hot weather cooking
  • I have the original type that doesn't have the removable inner part. It's annoying to clean so I very seldom use it. Plus, I wind up overcooking just about everything.

I've been thinking of investing in one that does have the inner part that comes out to clean easily.
    Which type do you all have? I've seen a couple different models. Which works better?

Sarah
  • I've got one made by Hamilton Beach (Scovill?) that I've used for about 15 years. Works great.