Is this an acceptable entree for Phase 1?

• It seems okay, but still it's kinda high in carbs, so I'm confused

Turkey Chili (2 Servings)

1/2 Pound of extra-lean ground turkey
    1 can of drk. red kidney beans
    1 can of lgt. red kidney beans
    4 Fresh jalapenos
    1 Package of chili seasoning

HELP! Is this okay for Phase 1?
  • Sounds okay to me. I would maybe check the chili seasoning for sugar. Remember it is about good carbs not low carbs. Have a good one Berlin and enjoy that chili.
  • Like Bunna said check chili seasoning for sugar. Looks good to me. I think I will make chili tonight! YumYUm!
  • Yep it's all in there, check the seasoning. and it sounds good.
  • Just as an aside for newbies, please put the idea of how many carbs are in things aside. You NEVER need to work about that on SBD! You do need to worry about servings of good carbs, and about whether the carbs you are eating or good or bad, but you don't need to count carb grams, okay?

That said, you can always feel free to post things in here for us to check out. Packets of seasoning often have both sugar and "hydrogenated" fats that contain trans-fats...a very deadly form of fat that can really mess up your cholesterol. So, you'd be best off making your own seasoning...try chili powder and cumin to start...some salt and pepper...and lots of other seasonings. Yum!
  • Woo-hoo! Chili sounds soooo yummy right now!
  • FYI - Here's the seasoning info.

Ingredients
    SPICES (INCLUDING CHILI PEPPER AND RED PEPPER), ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, AND FOLIC ACID), ONION, SALT, AND GARLIC.

Available Sizes:
    1.25 ounces, UPC 52100 09110

Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving: 1 1/3 tbsp. dry mix (9g) (Seasons 1 cup chili)
    Calories: 35
    Fat: 1 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 340 mg
    Carbohydrates: 4 g
    Protein: 1 g
  • If it was me, especially for phase 1, I would season it myself. Enriched wheat flour is something we avoid even in phase 2 so you certainly don't want it in phase 1. I also prefer to control the amount of salt myself. I would add onion and garlic to the chili (or use onion powder and garlic powder) along with the chili powder and red pepper. If I had already bought it, I would use it in phase 2 and then make my own from now on.