Phase II questions

• I am going grocery shopping tomorrow and I would really appreciate it if I could get some ideas of what type/kind of bread and cereal is acceptable. Thanks.
  • Hope this info helps. Remember not to add things too quickly.

Cereal Suggestions from the SBD Website:

Cereal Suggestions

Hot Cereals (with suggested serving sizes):
    Ralston 100% Wheat (1/2 cup)
    Quaker Oat Bran (1/2 cup)
    Quaker Old Fashioned Oats (slow-cooking type) (1/2 cup)
    Old Wessex Oatbran (1/2 cup)
    Kashi Breakfast Pilaf (1/2 cup)
    Mother's or Quaker Multigrain (1/2 cup)
    Arrowhead Mills 7 Grain (1/3 cup)
    Wheatena (1/3 cup)
    Arrowhead Mills Steel Cut Oats (1/4 cup)
    Mother's Whole Wheat (1/2 cup)
    McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal (1/4 cup)
    Roman Meal Original with Oats (1/3 cup)

Cold Cereals (with suggested serving sizes):
    Uncle Sam Cereal (1 cup)
    Kellogg's All Bran Original (1/2 cup)
    Post Shredded Wheat & Bran (1 1/4 cup)
    Kellogg's All Bran Extra Fiber (1/2 cup)
    Post Bran Buds (1/3 cup)
    Post 100% Bran Cereal (1/3 cup)
    General Mills Fiber One (1/2 cup)
    Kashi Good Friends (3/4 cup)
    Kashi GoLean (3/4 cup)

From the "Daily Dish", the newsletter from the paid SBD site:

What to Look for on Labels
    12/06/03

Here are three things to watch for when shopping for the South Beach Diet:

High Fiber. Look for breads (Phases 2 and 3) with at least 5 grams of fiber per serving. In general, it is recommended that you get four "high" fiber sources every day (with 5 grams or more of fiber per serving), and three to four "good" fiber sources (with 2.5 grams of fiber per serving). Good fiber sources also include vegetables, whole grains, and beans.

Low Sugar. A simple way to identify sugar in processed foods is to look for words ending in "ose," such as glucose, lactose, and sucrose. If any of these words appear in the first three ingredients listed, then the item is likely to be high in sugar and should be avoided.

"Good" Fats. Stick with monounsaturated fats, like canola oil and olive oil, and polyunsaturated fats like corn oil, peanut oil, and sesame oil. Avoid hydrogenated, saturated, and trans-fatty acids whenever possible. Most solid margarines contain trans-fatty acids, which are created when oil becomes "partially hydrogenated."

Breads to Buy (Phases 2 and 3)

Why are whole-grain breads better for you than breads made with enriched or refined flour? One reason is that whole-grain breads have a lower glycemic index. Another is that whole grains contain phytochemicals that may help cut the risk of heart disease and cancer. If you're in Phase 2 of the diet and can start eating bread again, here are some good brands to buy:

Pepperidge Farm:
    100% Stoneground Whole Wheat
    Natural Whole Grain 9 Grain
    Natural Whole Grain German Dark Wheat
    Pepperidge Farm Natural Whole Grain Crunchy Grains or Multi-Grain

Rubschlager:
    European Style Whole Grain
    100% Rye Rye-Ola Sunflower
    100% Rye Rye-Ola Rye
    100% Rye Rye-Ola Pumpernickle

Brownberry:
    100% Whole Wheat
    Natural 12 Grain
    Natural Oatnut

Other brands:
    Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat
    Mrs. Baird's 100% Whole Wheat
    Roman Meal 100% Whole Wheat
    Arnold 100% Whole Wheat dinner

Eat Fortified, Avoid Enriched
    12/04/03

Have you ever seen foods labeled "Vitamin Fortified" and "Vitamin Enriched" and wondered, "What's the difference?"

When something is "fortified," nutrients that were never present in the original product have been added to make it healthier. Common examples include the addition of vitamin D to milk, calcium to orange juice, and soy milk and omega-3 fats to cereals.

When food is "enriched," nutrients that were lost or decreased during processing have been added back to the final product. For example, after creating white flour from wheat, manufacturers reintroduce B vitamins that were stripped during the refining process.

Does that make "enriched" foods healthy? Not really. According to Dr. Agatston, the added nutrients in enriched foods cannot compensate for the natural nutrients and fiber that were lost during the refining process. Fortified foods, on the other hand, still have their natural nutrients and fiber, and in most cases have an added benefit. So follow this general rule the next time you shop: Avoid enriched, eat fortified.
  • this is great info! thanks for posting it
  • Barb,
    Thanks, thats so awesome that you put that list there. I really appreciate it. now I'm off to shop. I think I will copy and paste to another thread for the others that are on phase II (is that ok?) Thanks again