South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #16  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

Morning all:
Just got back from my workout. Worked the lower body today.
I am not a veggies eater either. I slice yellow squash and zucc. and onions, and saute in butter ( I use the brummels & brown marg. made out of yougurt and no trans fat). Add salt and pepper.
Ruth, be careful in that snow. Those keys are expensive. It tell us in our manuals of our vans how to program them. It's real easy. We had to reprogram our sliding doors.
Everyone else have a warm and save day if you are traveling. Stay heathly. DS had that flu here too. It lasted24 hrs. Thank goodness.
We are in the mid 70's here in SC. To warm for winter. I am not ready for shorts weather yet. Need to lose some more weight.
Well, off to do daily chores. Check back later.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #17  

Good Morning All!

I tried a new protein drink this morning that was absolutely delicious -- Carb Solutions -- with 1% milk and a dash of vanilla. I have tried many of these protein drinks through the years with no winners, but this one is very good. I got it on amazon.com...Hope it was SBD-friendly

Cottage -- thank you for the encouragement yesterday. It's good to hear about your mom's experience with early weight loss. I did lose a pound, but I'm thinking of eliminating the AM coffee to help things along. Also, if I find myself at Chick Fil E again I will try their salads. I can see that this process is learn-as-you-go.

I'm so grateful for the support here. If I couldn't come here to get questions answered, etc., I'd probably be off the beach by now eating that Entenmenn's donut

Hope you all have a wonderful Friday!
Old 01-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #18  
Gotta move my Thang!

Good (late) morning, ladies!

Just a quick stop-in. Ruth, I'm glad you've cancelled the great shaving debate. Just think, if you only shave one, that one will itch growing back and you'll have nothing to balance it against.

Bamie, Feel better!

Kryss et. al. - There's a wonderful cook book called Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison which covers literally every vegetable I've ever heard of. Many of the recipes are not SBD friendly as written, but with EVOO and LF substitutions can be made so pretty easily. Maybe your local library has it?

Bups - WTG staying OP! Sounds like you're really retraining your expectations for what will be satisfying for you. How wonderful!

Chick - thanks for starting the water game again, it's a fun thing to check through the day. And I'm actually drinking more water because of it!

Me - I stayed home yesterday while it snowed and iced out. It was nice to play when I should have been working, but it means I'm behind today, urgh. I'll probably have to come in Sunday to compensate. Ah well, at least there's enough snow for sledding! Yahoo!

Be well, everyone!
Solarmama
Old 01-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #19  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Holy Daily Posts, Batman!

Wow, the entire world posted today before I even woke up!

Love the recipes...like you guys, I'm trying lots of new things to keep my interest in veggies pretty high. Thanks! Did anyone try the white beans and greens soup that was posted on the Daily Dish a while ago? I have the recipe at home but haven't tried it. Think it uses Kale.

Last night I had that pork roast with apples, onions, cabbage and turnips. The turnips were really good! I'll have to post the recipe in the forums. It did use some white wine, and I didn't think about how much it was until after I'd added it. I'll modify the recipe when I post it...but I haven't tried it that way, so feel free to experiment!

I didn't get out of bed to exercise today. I'll do my Pilates tomorrow and then start fresh on Monday, no excuses. I'll get my stuff in my gym bag on Sunday so that I'll be ready to go. I really want to get back on track!

I got on the scale this morning and it was down to 221.5! I have no idea why, which is the frustrating part, but we'll see how it looks tomorrow.

Ruth, you crack me up! Love the cornrows idea! Be careful driving out there!

Kryss, your avatar makes me grin! What a mess with your snow parking... that you don't get much snow this year!

Mama, great recipe, thanks! Stay away from flu-boy!

Cottage, cabbage is yummy!

Nally, good luck with the Thai food. I had Indian in London, and once I explained that I was looking for no sugar and no carbs, the waiter helped me pick things on the menu that were OP. It was really good and I didn't get sick later, so I know he didn't steer me wrongly. Hope your waiter can help you too! So glad you like teaching...I hate it when I see teachers with those mugs that say,"There are three good reasons for teaching: June, July, and August".

Anchor, you're my hero! Can I borrow some of your motivation?

Bamie, feel better and take gentle care of yourself! We miss your "tee-heeing" around here!

Kim, CONGRATULATIONS on stopping when you were full! That is great!!! As to the length of your restart, it depends on how long you were off plan. If it was only a week or less, I think a week of Phase 1 would do it. Otherwise, I'd go for the whole two weeks.

for Ellis

LC, so glad you're back with us! Isn't it nice to only have one job? Try lentils in your soup instead of barley. Yum!

Barb, you are so kind and generous. Thanks for posting such yummy recipes! I hadn't noticed that one of Ruth's and look forward to trying it. Does your son eat it?

Chipper, you are my hero also! And you're in phase 1 too!

North, I know what you mean...the chickies here have kept me on track time and again. Check out the ingredients in your protein shake. It might make Ruth shout the F word...you don't want something full of unpronounceable ingredients. You also don't want to be eating much with the word "hydrogenated" in it...usually powdered things have partially hydrogenated oils in them. Instead, try getting plain protein powder at a health food store and make your own shakes...try using FF plain yogurt as a base and include milk, frozen fruit (if on Phase 2), SF syrups, and the protein powder (or tofu).
Old 01-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #20  

Laurie - My son doesn't care much for veggies like eggplant so I serve it with pasta and give him a few of the veggies while I just eat a little of the pasta and tons of veggies. I have done better at getting him to eat brussel sprouts and asparagus lately and he loves broccoli and green beans so I don't worry too much. I posted two recipes for vegetable sides that I haven't tried but plan on trying. They look yummy.

Me - I just went to get more water and hot tea. There were mini blueberry muffins in the breakroom. Before South Beach I would have just shoved one in my mouth but I looked at the ingredients and the first ingredient was sugar! 200 calories for two tiny muffins. And I'm not hungry since I had my laughing cow snack so it was easy to resist. I can't wait for lunch. I've got Quick and Easy Spicy Chicken soup (with black beans). So warming on a cold day!
Old 01-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #21  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Hey chicks I am checking in agian. I do better when I can get here several times a day. I am eating an OP lunch and feeling fine.

Beachgal- Yes it is nice to be back to one job. The best part is that I won't be so tired in the mornings and maybe I will stop over sleeping.

solarmama- This water game makes me drink my water as well normally I don't drink any but I am staying true and have been checking it quite a bit and even drinking water with a letter.

Well I am off again to finish my lunch and do a little tidying up before it is time to walk to the bus stop. We will have to leave a little early as there is lots of snow to play in along the way.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal
North, I know what you mean...the chickies here have kept me on track time and again. Check out the ingredients in your protein shake. It might make Ruth shout the F word...you don't want something full of unpronounceable ingredients. You also don't want to be eating much with the word "hydrogenated" in it...usually powdered things have partially hydrogenated oils in them. Instead, try getting plain protein powder at a health food store and make your own shakes...try using FF plain yogurt as a base and include milk, frozen fruit (if on Phase 2), SF syrups, and the protein powder (or tofu).
Laurie, I hear you...I looked at the ingredients and it's soy protein -- nothing hydrogenated -- but lots of unpronounceable ingredients. No sugar and 3 net carbs...is that okay, or do I need to make a trip to Vitamin Cottage today?

Last edited by beachgal; 01-07-2005 at 02:19 PM. Reason: So no one had to read my long post again. ;)
Old 01-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 167.2/167.2/140.0

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning from the West Coast!

It is raining cats and dogs here! Before I went to bed last night, the sky was completely clear and the stars were out. Then the storm came in. It's pouring outside. I haven't seen a light rain since I woke up! It's a chilly 48 here today which is supposed to last through the weekend. We found a little leak in our garage which I hope doesn't get worse. We're refinancing the house right now and the appraiser is coming out on Tuesday. I don't want anything ripped apart!

Kryss-Have you tried the roasted vegetables in the book? They are sooooo good! They are my favorite but I like vegetables. They have zucchini, yellow squash, yellow peppers, red peppers and red onion. I think they also have asparagus in them but I don't usually add that. I'm not a huge asparagus fan. I also love to boil some cut or french frozen green beans until really tender (I hate crispy veggies) and then just add some Smart Balance and salt & pepper to them. I know you said you're starting to get tired of zucchini but have you tried the zucchini patties? They are really good!

Ruth-If the question comes up again---TO SHAVE OR NOT TO SHAVE?---Definitely go with the no shave and tell the doctor you want to be a "natural" girl. One of my friends used to be that way until recently. She wouldn't shave her legs/pits/or anything else.

Bamie-I hope you stop coughing soon. Get over that nasty cold! Everyone around me seems to have it as well. I got it for a couple days and then it went away! I was glad for that!

Everyone else-If I responded to everyone, I'd probably be sitting here all day and I really should get some work done (as much as I don't feel like it). Hope you all have a wonderful day! If I don't check back in today, have a great weekend too! I rarely use the computer on the weekends and this weekend is The Great Clean before the appraiser comes on Tuesday! Weekends are always a challenge for me to stay OP but I fully intend to do that and come back with a nice weight loss on Monday.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #24  

Heh. It ain't winter without snow, that's what I say! I love it, and I, too, live in the Great White North. 'course, we get our driveway plowed rather than do it ourselves (it's WAY too long for a snowblower) and hubby shovels, not me, so I can just sit inside by the fire and LOOK at the snow.

Or snowshoe. I love snowshoeing, and it's GREAT exercise!
Old 01-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #25  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

North, it sounds like it's okay. I'd finish it, then make my shakes from then on with protein powder instead. Just my $0.02. In general, it's better to stay away from ingredients you can't pronounce. Remember we're trying to eat food that's less processed. Unfortunately, most of the low carb stuff just doesn't fit into the SBD lifestyle. Some things do, like low carb ketchup, SF syrups, and low carb steak sauce. But bars, baking mixes, and snacks are major no-nos.

Kissy, I love green beans with smart balance! Why not try microwaving them instead of boiling, though? I've read that the nutrients in veggies are leached into the water when you boil them. You then get less nutrients when you eat them. Microwaving lets you keep all the nutrients, and it's faster, too!
Old 01-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #26  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

I hate to have to tell the weather man the snow he predicted today isn't coming. It is 40 degrees and raining. I think they are just hoping for snow here cuz we hardly ever get it.

Ruth could share some and I bet she would too!

My sister called this morning and we talked for two hours which took up my computer time so off to work. I weighed myself and am down to 266.5 this a.m. but no time to change my ticker. Hooray!

You chickies all have a great weekend and stay warm.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #27  
A Lily from my yard!

Well it seems I'm not the only one sick. My son's dad called to say he had to cancel the w-end because they are all sick there as well. Fine with me because I had called DH to ask him if he could take Zack this afternoon because I was not feeling up to that long drive. It's an hour each way for me to the meeting place. Not to mention I have to cross a ridge that would be aweful for my lightheadedness from all the coughing. I know my DS is goin to be very mad. Well he will get over it. Not to mention he tried to get me to come and pick him up from school because he was sick (which I know him and he's not) but he had the nerve to tell me either you come pick me up or I'm walking home. I told he best get to steppin! This has been an ongoin thing since I became a SAHM when he was in the second grade. He is now in the 9th. He figures I am sitting at home with nothing better to do so I should run and pick him up all the time. I used to until I became hip to his game! Anchor... Still want to trade? teehee! Well I am taking it easy again today. I'm headin back to the couch. I just wanted to check in on y'all make sure nobody was throwin sand! haha
Laurie... Ya might want to tell them what the F word is that Ruth has been known to use around here. teehee
Old 01-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #28  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

I am doing McDonals's for dinner with the gd's tonight. I have it all planned. A salad, since I don't like any of their dressings, I am bringing my own with diet coke. I stayed away from eating this afternoon (due to boredom and just wanting something). I can do this. Will let you know if I did. I could also get a side salad and grilled chiken and take off the bun. My mind is going to give the order, and my mouth is going to obey
Old 01-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #29  

Here is the Fast Food Guide information for McDonald's:

McDonald's™
Sandwiches:

* Chicken McGrill®—toss the bun.

Salads:

* Grilled Chicken Bacon Ranch—toss the bacon bits.
* Bacon Ranch Salad (without chicken)—toss the bacon bits.
* Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
* Caesar Salad (without chicken)
* Grilled Chicken California Cobb—toss the bacon bits.
* California Cobb (without chicken)—toss the bacon bits.
* Side Salad—toss the croutons.

Salad Dressings:

* Newman's Own® Creamy Caesar Salad Dressing—use ˝ package.
* Newman's Own® Light Balsamic Vinaigrette
* Newman's Own® Ranch Dressing—use 1/2 package.
* Light Mayonnaise

Breakfast Foods:

* The egg and Canadian bacon (found on the Egg McMuffin®) are allowed from the sandwich items.
* The Spanish Egg omelet without the bagel and sausage is allowed.
* Scrambled eggs

Beverages:

* Diet sodas
* Unsweetened iced tea
* 1 percent low-fat milk

Make sure there is no sauce on the McGrill. I seem to remember they put a sauce on it.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:27 PM   #30  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Bami - I'm throwing sand! No trade today - mine is actually being pretty good. He's just tired after a long week. We have a mean neighbor boy and my son always tries to be nice to him and of course he was mean to him today. So I'm feeling a little sorry for him. He doesn't have his momma's gumption because if that kid did that to me when I was a kid, I would have made the L sign on my forward and called him a Loser. I'm trying to get DS to stick up for himself but he is so meek. Oh well

Chipper - I know that you are doing great at Mickie D's. I'm sending good vibes your way.

So far so OP!
Closed Thread