South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #1  
Gotta move my Thang!

Default "Doing Phase I NOW" Thread - Jan 4 Start

Hi there,

Seems like we have a lot of folks who are currently on Phase 1, and I thought it might be a good idea for us to have a thread to talk about it. Certainly the group here has seen countless folks come through Phase 1, and will have suggestions for us, but we can have one place where we can all kvetch together, post progress, etc. Sound good?

I'll start. I had planned to start Phase 1 on 12/27 since two weeks before Xmas, and that was my goal - I was fired up! When the day came, I had to wait a second day becuase I was away from home and got snowed in there until the 28th, with no real control over what I had available to eat. So I started on the 28th. Then, the New Years holiday proved too tempting - the large nibble I had of my MIL's new year's eve spread was yummy, but not OP. The New Years Day Dinner my dearest friend made for us, though she really tried, was not OP. So, I REstarted on 1/2 - which puts me at Day 3 of Phase 1. Phew! I've been good since then, aside from my cheat-declared-at-the-beginning bite of daily dark chocolate, and wonder of wonders, I'm down two pounds. I'm amazed. I've been exercising pretty well, and I feel really upbeat this week. Hope it lasts!

Things that have made this easier: the taco bake recipe from the recipe boards (don't know how to post links to it, hope someone can help me out!); keeping busy instead of snacking; exercise - feels great!; my DH, who is being super-supportive. Discovering that most sit-down restaurants will serve me plain soda water with lemon if I ask - I hate diet soda, but I love the fizzy drinks!

Things that have been frustrating: that whole deal with the snow storm delaying my start; feeling unable to disappoint my friend by rejecting what she cooked for us because it didn't suit my plan; realizing that SO many things I used to eat 'on the fly' are not OP anymore, even sushi! It makes it difficult if my day changes from what I planned for, and I am not home for a meal I had planned on.

So that's where I'm at. Looking forward to reading other posts!
Solarmama
Old 01-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #2  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Solarmama,

Hi! I'm on DAY 1 of phase one. So far so good. I had egg beaters with red peppers, spinach and low fat cheese for breakfast. For a snack I had 15 pistachios, for lunch I had lettuce, green peppers, cucumbers, grilled chicken with a balsamic vinegarette. For my second snack I had a slice of low fat swiss cheese. Still not sure what's for dinner.

I'm a CARB lover and I'm really nervous about not eating carbs for the next 2-4 weeks.

My wedding is April 17th and I really want to lose 20 pounds. I realize that I shouldn't expect to lose 20 pounds, but I will try and lose as much as I can before then.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:15 PM   #3  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Solarmama,

My FI loves sushi and so he looked into this. Of course you can always get the shashimi sushi or you can get the rolls and ask for no rice. It's weird, but FI asked and they didn't bat an eyelid... he got his rolls with no rice.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #4  
Gotta move my Thang!

Wow, thanks, Tilley! I will have to try that when my sushi jones get too bad.

Sounds like you're keeping on track so far with phase 1 - keep up the good work!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding - it's a good reason to work hard! I got married this past August, and the only thing that makes me sad about it is if I lose all the weight I want to, then I won't look like my wedding pictures! (Maybe I can convince the DH to do another set after I have my dress altered.)

Thanks again for the sushi info - I'm a junkie, and I was really worried this would cause massive cheating.

Solarmama
Old 01-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #5  

This thread is a great idea...there are so many newbies here and we're all in the same boat! I'm on Day 3 of Phase 1, and after eating the same menu for 2 days, I'm copying some of the recipes here (taco bake looks great and has great reviews from everyone) and going food shopping in a few minutes.

So far, I'm not hungry at all...just a little headachey. I have a big sweet tooth -- it's all about the dessert, as far as I'm concerned...So, that's my struggle. Bread I can take or leave...

Tonight I'm making a big pot of SBD chili -- it's snowing here -- and will have bread/corn muffins for my family to eat. I may do the ricotta dessert or maybe no-sugar jello...

After the week is over, I'll start exercising again. Feel like I need to get the food thing handled first. Too much change and I short-circuit on these diets. So, I'm taking it easy...

May we all reach our weight goals!! And, thanks, solarmama, for starting this thread
Old 01-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #6  

Hi Ladies!

I am also in Phase I. My hubby, brother and I are all following SBD and are on day 4. It helps tremendously that everyone in the house is on the same plan! We seem to be doing pretty well. We had planned to start on Jan. 1 so during the holidays (both hubby and I are off for vacation then since we both work for the school district), we sat down with cookbooks and ideas from online and made up the whole menu for the first 2 weeks. Now we have already moved around a few meals, but in general we know what we are going to have and what is needed from the store when. It has helped me alot.

One thing has helped in the morning. I made a pan full of veggie omlette bake on Sunday evening and cut it into serving size portions then put it in sandwich bags. Hubby is NOT a morning person, so this makes it much easier for him to have breakfast. I just tossed in some beaten eggs, cheese, veggies, and a little bit of turkey bacon and baked it on 350 for 25-30 minutes. We just nuke it for 2 minutes in the morning and we are good to go!

I am making chili tonight which will be great since we will be snowed in with up to 14 inches of snow by Thursday morning! Nothing like chili when it is cold and snowy!

Have a wonderful night all!

Nally
Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #7  
Gotta move my Thang!

Hi Again, Just checking in on Day 4.

Nally - It sounds like you really did your planning for this - you go, gurrl! I think having a partner to diet with would make this much easier. Sadly, my DH is one of those tall skinny gents who can eat three pieces of cheesecake at a sitting and not have it show up on the scale, grrr. But he is being super supportive, and has learned that if I come to him and say "I lost X pounds!" or "I exercised today!" that he should grin and cheer. If he doesn't, I pout.

Feeling good, weight is down another .6 pounds for a total of 2.6 so far. Joined that water game in another thread yesterday, and drank some extra water because of it, yay! Remembering to drink the water is a problem for me.

I'll be looking for something to make with chicken breasts on the Entree thread after this for tonight's supper, since I'll likely be snowed in tomorrow and I don't have to shop for the chix. I'll make crockpot chili for tomorrow's dinner - everyone mentioning it and snow in the same sentence on other threads made me crave it!

Just finished my leftover lunch - lowfat tofu and cauliflower curry. It turned out so good that I'm about to go over and post it.

How's things, phase 1-ers?

Solarmama

Last edited by solarmama; 01-05-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #8  

Hi Ladies!

Things are going pretty well here in Nebraska. I still haven't been able to get to Jazzercise, but I figure shoveling 5 inches of snow should count for something, lol.

I am VERY grateful that we purged the house of anything that is not OP. Being snowed in and having anything sweet here would have been a bad bad thing!

I think I may have a cup of hot tea and go watch a chick flick on the tv before my hubby lays claim to it and I get to watch an action flick or something.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

Nally
Old 01-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #9  

I'm on day 4 of Phase 1. So far so good. I made the Taco Bake today. It was great! I've lost about 1.5 lbs in 3 days. Just out of curiousity sake, I measured and I lost an inch in my chest. I guess that's the bad thing about being a woman...the boobs are the 1st to go. (Or at least for me anyway). That's one of the things I like about SBD is that these Phase 1 results are fast and keep you motivated. My goal is to be at my goal weight by August. I'm going to law school out of state and I want to start looking like a hottie.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #10  

Thumbs up

It seems a little early for me to be checking in, since I'm on day 2, but so far so good. I think having been so hyper-aware of Atkins for so long helps, since I can spot a bad carb from fifty feet. I am totally unused to the low-fat for ff cheeses though, I must say, but just the thought that I can have a bit of skim milk if I want it cheers me up. I haven't had milk in my fridge for two years!

Someone else mentioned being burned out on eggs, and I agree. I had a chicken salad for breakfast this morning and cut my egg up to go on top and liked it much better that way.

Now I'm off to look for the taco bake recipe everyone is raving about.

Hope you're all having a good day!
Old 01-05-2005, 03:05 PM   #11  
Gotta move my Thang!

Welcome, Revielle!

Yes, the taco bake is to be savored. Update away! We started this thread when I was on Day 2, and I was happy because it meant that I got to blather on about it right from the start - now that I've been on for a bit, I'm more confident that I can make this happen.

I like the idea of having non-breakfast foods for breakfast, although I really enjoy eggs in all forms. Hmmm. Chicken Florentine for breakfast! It's a date!

CheeseQ - Don't be too sad about the missing inch - if I lost the weight everywhere except the cha-chas, I'd spend all my time complaining about my poor back, and how it hurts from holding them up! I'm looking forward to being able to find bras in the department stores, instead of ordering special or in the "fat lady" section (I wear a 46DD, VA VOOM!). I want to be proportional to my goal-weight self.

And now, I must confess that I just fell off plan for today. Sigh. I had gotten a piece of spinach-mushroom casserole from the hot case at my local grocery - I'd had it before, and was pretty much sure that it used ricotta and eggs as a binder and was SBD friendly, although a little rich. (a layer of minced Spinach and Mushrooms with binder, topped with a layer of american cheese, MMM.) Turns out, as far as I can tell, that this piece has bread crumbs as a binder instead. But now I know, and I won't get it again. Hoping to put together my own version some time this week.

Ciao!
SolarM

Last edited by solarmama; 01-05-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #12  

Today is day 3 for me and surprisingly the sugar urges are getting less. I still crave them, but it does not seem so strong today. I'm getting lots of exercise and I am feeling great! I however did something bad. I ordered a chef salad and it had real parmesean cheese instead of FFcheese. I was otherwise good, by having the mashed potatoes surprise ( I used chicken broth, it was soo good did not need butter), broccoli and grilled chicken. I plan to follow it up with a sugar free fudgsicle and 10 mins on the bike. Good going all you guys, we are all making real progress.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #13  

Focus, have you lost 10 lbs. in 3 days?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #14  
gotta lose it!

Hello! I am in day 4 of phase I. I've lost 3 lbs so far!!! If anyone has not tried the taco bake - I highly recommend it!! Most of the recipes on here are yummy - my live in bf (who has an awesome body & doesn't diet) loves the foods as well.
Cheese queen, you are right, the chest is always the first to go! I wish everyone much success - enjoy your day at the beach!!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:26 PM   #15  

Hey Northrancher,
no I have not lost 10lbs in 3 days. I started SBD last week and stopped in the middle of the week b/c of the family meals and parties that popped up, at the end I had lost 5lbs despite all the crazy eating. After all visiting family left I started SBD again, and I weighed in an additional 5lbs lighter. Today, however, is now the 4th day and things are going strong on SBD. I have been really pumped about the plan and the cravings are diminishing more and more. The scents and dreams of chocolate cake are fading and the desire to succed is elevating! Keep on trekking everyone!
Closed Thread