South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 AM   #1  

Default New Favorite Snacks and question

Good morning ladies! I hope that everyone is off to a great new year!

I am writing just to let you in on my new favorite snacks. I know that most of us know of laughing cow cheese wedges, but I have recently found light flavored wedges. I LOVE to spread a 35 calorie onion flavored wedge on cucumber slices.

Also, I have recently tried the califlower popcorn and have fallen in love. I have one question about that though. Since trying the recipe I have found that I will cut up an entire head of califlower, cook it up, and eat the whole thing for lunch or a snack. Is this okay? I know it is a healthy vegetable, but you can always have too much of anything. I didn't know if I was eating too much olive oil.

I think I may be eating too much fat, even if it's okay fat. I love tuna and eat it with full fat mayo. Should I use reduced fat? I eat the califlower with olive oil. I cook my morning eggs in olive oil and eat part skim ricotta once a day. Does this sound like too much fat to you?

Thanks for your help and hope that other have found their favorite quick snacks.

Alli
Old 01-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #2  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Alli - what is the califlower popcorn? Do you have a recipe?

I wouldn't eat the tuna with full fat mayo - have you tried the Helmans "just 2 good"? It is very good. Can't even tell you're eating reduced fat.

Sounds like you're doing well!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #3  

I got the Califlower popcorn recipe from this forum. It is essentially califlower flowets, olive oil, and salt tossed together and then roasted at 425 degrees for an hour. They come out looking burnt but are soooo tasty. I definately recommend a try.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #4  
i luv my dog!

First off, if you think you are eating too much fat then you probably are. Have you reviewed the Phase I food list? http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49548

It recommends such things as portion control for higher fat items such as
Mayonnaise - Regular - 1 TBS OR Mayonnaise - Low Fat - 2 TBS

You probably want to reduce the extra fats, even though they are the "good" fats, whenever it's possible, such as with your morning eggs you could use the olive oil flavored spray in a non-stick pan. You'll still get your flavor but save on calories.

Eating a whole head of cauliflower is fine, but just like a salad, its what you put on it that makes the difference. All oils, even healthy ones, have 120 calories per tbsp. so try to use half the amount but stir it twice as much - LOL.

Adapting to a new way of eating takes time and you want to enjoy it so it will be a lifelong good habit. Just experiment, and practice, until you find what works for you.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:35 AM   #5  

Mmm. I am going to try that cauliflower. I was never a fan of it before, but I had mashed cauliflower not too long ago and I loved it!
Old 01-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Good ideas...you do want to watch your fat. There's a website you can use to identify your daily intake of calories and fat...but the name is escaping me right now...I know someone here will give you the web addy.

Also, you need to make sure you are getting a good mix of proteins and other nutrients, so I would try to keep your portion of cauliflower small and add in some lean meat, a salad or a different veggie, or in Phase 2, some whole grains and maybe some fruit to round out your lunch. Try to include protein with each snack, like you do with your cheese and cucumber (sounds good!).

I'm going to have to try that cauliflower!
Old 01-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #7  

Laurie, I think you mean fitday.com. I've never tried it myself but lots of people like it.

I like to munch on raw cauliflower without any dip at all. It is so filling!
Old 01-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #8  
Gotta move my Thang!

Hey Alli -

One way to answer your question about too much fat is with your weigh-ins. Are you losing weight each week? As quickly as you want to? If not, limiting fat intake is a good way to reduce calories without reducing bulk intake. As was mentioned here already, fat has a lot of calories, so cutting out some fat cuts out more calories than cutting out the equivalent volume of carbs.

Just my two, since I regularly have more olive oil than receommended, but I'm still losing pretty quickly. I expect as I get smaller, I will have to limit it, but for now I am really enjoying my olive-oil stir fry and olive-oil dressed salad.

Ciao!
Solarmama
Closed Thread