South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:24 AM   #1  

Default Your Favorite SBD Compatiable Cookbook

I got a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble and being a bibliophile there are a hundred books I want to buy, but I decide to spend at least half of it on cookbooks. Besides the SBD Cookbook, which I have, does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #2  

Hi Kryss,

I got a really great cookbook for Christmas that I have been reading quite a bit. It is called Fantastic Food with Splenda. It has a lot of recipes that you can modify just a little bit. For example, where it calls for flour use whole wheat flour. If it calls for butter, use Smart Spread. Things like that. And it has 150 recipes in it for everything from breakfast to dessert. It is on Barnes and Nobles.com for $15.36.

I hope this helps. Happy Cooking!!

Alli
Old 01-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #3  
I found my hipbones!

I received this book for Christmas, and from the looks of it, there seems to be a lot of possibility here:

The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook: Over 120 Delicious Low-Carb Recipies That Cook Themselves
by Kitty Broihier, Kimberly Mayone

I've only had the chance to use one recipe from it so far, but I really like the pork chops and sauerkraut recipe in it. I LOVE sauerkraut...love it. There's a chicken and barley soup recipe I'd like to try soon, too. I hope to get a lot of use from this book b/c the main thing I miss about my pre-SBD days is convenience foods... There are some nights that I just feel way too tired to want to make anything from scratch, so crock pot cooking sounds nice.

As with all "low-carb" recipes, read them with your SBD goggles on, replacing high fat ingredients with low-fat versions.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Kris, there are also a lot of great, low-carb recipe magazines out there now, too!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Fuzzy, I love the "SBD goggles" comment!

Kryss, love your avatar and very jealous of your gift cert! I personally could not do SBD without the help of Cooking Light! I highly suggest a yearly subscription, but many of my friends prefer the annual cookbook they put out, as it gives you all of the year's recipes, but organized and with an index. Check them out! You do have to read them with your "SBD goggles on" as Fuzzy so aptly described it, but most of their recipes are really easy to manipulate and so tasty!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:31 AM   #6  

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely check out Cooking Light.

fuzzy, it's funny you should mention that book because I bought myself a crock pot in November and I've had my eye on that book for a few months now. It does seem like a good answer for those nights when I am just too tired to cook.

Thanks again all!
Closed Thread