3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Newbie (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/49059-newbie.html)

Tone 11-08-2004 03:49 PM

Hey everybody! I'm a newbie, both to SBD & 3FC. I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the information. I've been doing WW on & off for the last 3 1/2 years and am just frustrated by it. I believe it works, I just don't seem to have it in me to work it anymore. Want to try something new. I like the idea of eating as much as I want, and especially the idea of good carbs & fats. I enjoy going to the gym and am a big fan of Power Pacing (spinning/indoor cycling).

Does anybody here do SBD online? Was looking at possibly joining that. Also, doing the first grocery trip tonight, any suggestions for the first trip?

wendyjo 11-08-2004 03:52 PM

You will need the book, or the info online, to do your first shopping trip. Also, umm, you can't eat as much as you want on any weight loss plan. You eat until you're full, which is alot different for most people than eating as much as you want.

I haven't done SBD on-line so I can't give you any info about it. The book, however, is invaluable to me.

Bamiegurl 11-08-2004 04:49 PM

Tone... Hey and Welcome to the beach! I do not subscribe to the SBD online. I feel I get all the info I need here. I also have the book. I also get their free newletter each day called the "Daily Dish". Good luck!

ellis 11-08-2004 05:35 PM

Hi, Tone... welcome to the Beach! :wave:
I tried SBD online for a bit, but almost immediately regretted it, and cancelled my membership. It wasn't worth it to me... I find there's more than enough information/recipes here.

sweet tooth 11-08-2004 06:15 PM

Welcome Tone. I second Wendyjo - You can't eat as much as you want, only as much as you need to make you full. You will learn what your body requires to make you full. You will also find out that you will not be hungry much of the time. Stick with the first 2 weeks. It's well worth it.

Bups 11-08-2004 07:47 PM

Welcome Tone

I have just started my second week of Phase 1 and I have lost 6 lbs so far and the really big thing - I found it easy. Trust me I don't do things that are hard :D

It does however, take some planning - cut and bag veggies for quick snacks, have only allowable foods handy so that you can't cheat, plan your meals for the week so that you have everything you need - precook when you can.

My tips - drink your water then drink some more - the more the better and eat LOTS and I mean LOTS of allowable veggies.

I didn't have any of the symptoms people sometimes get like headaches etc..

I have a whole box of halloween size chips and two large cookies tins full of mini chocolate bars in my pantry and I'm not tempted.

I haven't cheated once - I don't know what clicked this time - but this is it.

Instead of chips I have some roasted chickpeas - curbs the salty crunchy craving.

Instead of sweets I have sugar free jello or fat free fudgesicles or creamsickles - man where have those been all my life?

This is NOT your usual diet. I haven't been hungry once - and I am eating more veggies then I ever have before :)

Browse around here - I am sure you will find all you need to know about the SBD and meet some great friendly people too!

Kim

Tone 11-09-2004 10:00 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!!! Day 1 went well yesterday. I only felt hungry once, and that was because it was supper time. The veggie list doesn't look too appealing to me as I am very vegetable-challenged, but I am excited to make the "potatoes" out of cauliflower. I'm about halfway through the book, I couldn't put it down! Thanks again, this forum is really going to help!

beachgal 11-09-2004 10:53 AM

Tone, welcome! :wave:

I know what you mean about being veggie challenged! :D I am, too! At first, I made the veggies I knew I could tolerate, and just pinched my nose shut (literally) and swalled the others. In time, I've actually come to enjoy most of them! Veggies have become a permanent part of my life, and I actually like them...and believe me, I didn't eat them at all before! :o

On this diet, you will rarely be hungry, but you won't eat all you want. I know many people on WW say that they are often hungry, and that won't happen on SBD. In fact, Dr. A says you should eat if you are hungry! :)

anchor weight 11-09-2004 09:13 PM

Tone,

Welcome to the beach! I agree with everything that everyone has said before me. :lol: I can only add my experiences. When I first started the diet, I did it exactly like he has it in the book. (You need the book) I never ate anymore or less for the first two weeks and I dropped 16.5 pounds. I was thrilled. It taught me that not only does what you eat matter but also how much of what you eat matters. Portion control has made this successful for me.

It was a little overwhelming to have to make all the food from scratch but I'm glad that I did. I'm hooked on the balsamic vinagrette - I'm becoming a veggie freak! I never ate veggies before. I've found that I like my veggies raw better than cooked. I have a pretty good idea of what to eat now and what not to eat now so I don't follow the diet word for word anymore, but I do the "concept" of it every day - every meal. In fact if you've been lurking for the last week or so you may have seen how I managed to sneak more veggies into breakfast with the overnight slaw. My sweet cravings are the strongest in the am so the slaw helps with that.

Now if I could just get myself motivated to exercise. One small step at a time Tone! :lol: