South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:29 PM   #1  
RNMOM

Default Getting through the holidays............

OK, I'm really hungry right now and all I can think about is food. It is TOM and I really would love to attack the candy bowl on the cupboard for the trick or treaters. I don't dare......

This has me thinking and trying to "plan" for some time off.....for the upcoming holidays. I really want to enjoy some treats but also don't want to have a repeat of the two month diversion from the beach I'm still trying to recover from.

So, how do you plan a cheat meal or day? Halloween is only ONE day, Thanksgiving is only ONE meal, Christmas is only ONE day. My problem is that I love to cook treats. This week I have inundated my neighbors with carmel corn. Not just little bits of it either, huge pans of it. I would love to taste some (don't dare, sugar monster lurking). I would like some way to be able to guarantee to myself I wouldn't totally lose it just because it's a holiday. How do you do that????

Today at work I've been so munchy. I haven't eaten illegal foods but I've eaten a ton of food just to get me full. More than I've needed. Not sure how to handle myself right now. I was so unhappy with myself for falling off the wagon and had such a hard time getting back on. Phase 1 repeat was pretty yucky for me, but I did it.

Any ideas anyone????? My twisted thinking is that once I reach goal weight I should be able to eat what I want and NOT gain (I said I was twisted)
Old 10-30-2004, 09:11 AM   #2  
A Lily from my yard!

RNMOM you are so funny! My kids need a neighbor like you! Lots of treats! YUMMY! I have heard/read that if you want to plan an off p meal to plan a 3-4 day detox afterwards. I am sure some others will have a lot more great advice. Also there is the metamucill before the meal to coat and help from alot of bad absorbtion. That's a word ain't it? haha Stay strong! I know it has to be hard since you like to cook. Same with my mom she is a big cooker and with the holidays coming i'm sure she will be tempted. We are here for you so just let us have it when you can't! teehee
Old 10-30-2004, 04:01 PM   #3  

Perhaps you need to switch to weight watchers for these times and count your calories (or points). Maybe the key is to eat food for the rest of the day that is really filling but low in calories so when you have a treat meal you don't bloat up three pounds! For example, have a two egg omelette with vegies for breakfast, l/f yogurt for m/t, small chicken breast salad (2-3 cups of salad) for lunch, celery sticks with cottage cheese for a/t. This will only use about 7 points or 500 calories so you have about 1000 calories for dinner (the treat meal) without blowing it. Drink water all day and go for a long walk earlier that day and you should be right.

Having said that, still make sure you choose healthier options to minimise the damage. There is a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake on the board, I haven't made it but if it is like another I have seen recently it is basically just l/f cream cheese with cooked pumpkin and spices (no pastry) so not really on plan but not too far off it either. If you haven't had your starch or put dressing on your salad you could eat this without too many repuccussions.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:09 AM   #4  

I would concentrate your love for cooking on to some great SBD recipes. I am hoping the holidays will not be too bad since ours center around turkey and I can eat that. My plan is to serve 2-3 sides I can eat and 2-3 I will just avoid. WE always do a relish tray with cream cheese stuffed celery, pickles and olives so that will be an easy one. I also make a broccoli casserole I may have some of...everything in it is legal except a can of cream of mushroom soup and the ritz cracker topping (maybe I will substitute a whole whaet bread crumb instead). The hard thing for me will be stuffing but I will not subject everyone else to a SB manipulation of that. ALthough I could just make myself a small ramkin (?sp) of a modified one make w/ WW bread. The opportunities are endless but I think the key to not cheating (or at least not TOO badly) is to have a lot of choices you can eat. Those holiday weeks may not be a time of weight "loss" but if we can keep our weight the same we are really ahead 5-10 pounds if you think of the weight you would have gained if not on SBD at all (does that make sense???).
We are having an early thanksgiving today for halloween (ok strange family but only time it worked for us all to get together) and I am making the SBD pumpkin cheesecake listed here for phase 2. WIll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:18 PM   #5  
Palm tree/Beach fanatic

I found a great book at costco on baking/cooking with splenda. What about adapting some of your favorite Holiday treats?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:51 AM   #6  
RNMOM

Default Planned invasion

Well, it's now the end of Halloween and I did a planned off program day today. Had a nice Sunday dinner with the family, make homemade WW rolls to go with the roast, carrots and potatoes. I didn't get to the grocery store or I would have bought sweet potatoes. Anyway, I indulged in carmel corn and halloween candy. My test will be tomorrow to climb back on plan. I want to have very occasional times when I plan to be off. Hopefully I can have my cake and eat it too.....no pun intended.

I feel rotten right now. My gut is really upset.

I think my eating was a stress reaction from a horrendous day in the ER yesterday afternoon that went into the night. Head on collision that killed a one year old little boy. Nine victims came to us, 3 ambulances, multiple police officers....................anyway, I know today is partially fall out from that. A lot more stress than I've had to deal with in a very long time. Got home at 0200 dead tired but not able to fall asleep.

I recognize this off plan day for what it is and will be on track tomorrow. Even a bit stricter, fewer nuts and no popcorn. I'll enjoy occasion fruit, but the bread really makes me sick anymore. NOVEMBER IS MY MONTH!!!!!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:53 AM   #7  

We had our family thanksgiving yesterday. I did just fine. Well maybe a few more startches than I usually have...had lots of turkey, some squash, half a sweet potatoe, some WW stuffing my SIL made just for me, and the SB pumpkin pie for dessert. I didn't feel deprived at all and was stuffed at the end. They forgot to cook a green vegetable or I would have had that too. Scale did not move up and might actually be a 1/2 # down so was well worth it. Was pretty motivated b/c everyone there all of a sudden noticed my weight loss and kept complimenting me. That really keeps you on track.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:05 AM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

RNMom, I don't have a solution for you, but I just wanted to say that I am SO impressed with your ability to bake something and not taste it! You are AMAZING, girl!!
Closed Thread