South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 10:00 AM   #1  

Default Brand Names

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm looking for some brand name examples that you guys all use, just to give me some hints and make sure I'm on the right track.

Brand Names for..:

Yogurt
Cereal
Cocoa Powder ( I can't find Dutch processed ANYWHERE)
Ricotta Cheese
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
SF Syrups ( I already know about DaVinci)
soup broths

Thanks in advance for any input
Old 09-19-2004, 11:03 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Tracy,

In general when I do my shopping, I look at all the brands available and look at the ingredients. This is especially important for the dairy section because usually the store brand has fillers in it but the brand names generally won't. Same goes for the broths.

I did buy some cereal recently, it was Shredded Wheat Oat and Bran. It tastes pretty decent, I guess it could use some splenda though. Also, I don't use any of the SF syrups, maple or otherwise. The cocoa powder I bought was Hershey's but I know ghiradelli also has a cocoa powder.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:30 PM   #3  

Thumbs up

I'm so glad you asked! I've spent a lot of time reading labels and I'm very particular about my favorites.

Yogurt: Total greek-style, by far and away (but see my post in the yogurt thread about the temporary unavailability of this brand), sold at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

Cereal: I love Hi-Lo (named for high protein, low carb), sold at TJs and also, for twice as much $$, at WF; also *plain* oatmeal (all brands the same, but make sure it says "Old Fashioned," NOT instant, and NO flavors); Fiber 1 (tastes like cookies to me, has the most fiber of any cold cereal and no sugar).

Cocoa: Droste is a dutch-processed brand that is available at the supermarket; locally I find that the supermarket store brand (Shaw's/Star here in MA), though not dutched, tastes better and has more fiber than Hershey's.

Ricotta: Calabrio fat-free (WF) has 30 cals and 6g protein per 1/4 cup, half the calories of the supermarket brand.

SF syrup: I like Maple Grove Farms (supermarket).

Chicken broth: Health Valley (supermarket or WF) has 25 cals, no carbs and 6g protein per serving.

But Nelie is totally right that one just needs to spend some time in the market reading labels. Happy comparison shopping!
Closed Thread