3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   SBD-friendly eateries? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/46094-sbd-friendly-eateries.html)

GoldieFun 09-02-2004 05:19 PM

SBD-friendly eateries?

Since I am new to this, I am wondering, what are some of the national chain restaurants you all know of that make SBD-friendly foods? Like, is there some great dish at Applebees which is a good choice, etc? Let me know what you think about this, it would be so helpful!!

Thanks!

:) lauren

Barb0522 09-02-2004 05:37 PM

try searching in this forum and the other two South Beach forums for words like Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday and restaurant. We've discussed this before. I like the Chicken Skillet at Applebees and the grilled grouper at Fridays as well as the burrito bowl at Chipotle. But, word of warning, even if the food is OP, it is often higher in sodium than you would cook at home so I cannot eat out too often without gaining.

beachgal 09-02-2004 05:49 PM

Lauren, there are also great resources on 3FC...go to the main page www.3fatchicks.com and look for the Fast Food info. Lots of good information on food at different places. I've found that most restaurants list their nut'l info and menu items on their websites, and I usually look them up before I go.

I have to say that if you have one near you, Ruby Tuesday is the most SBD friendly restaurant I know. Not only are there tons of SBD-friendly choices (including an awesome salad bar and even dessert!), but they list the nut'l info right in the menu, so you can even go their unprepared!

I love all their steaks, especially the one with blue cheese, the sauteed zucchini, the salad bar, the rice pilaf, the broccoli cheese soup (not totally OP, but darn close), and the quesadilla (made with a WW tortilla! :D ). There are also choices at Applebee's, Friday's, Outback Steakhouse (they have sweet potatoes...just make sure you get it with no butter or brown sugar). Lots of choices.

There are several threads in this forum on more specific details. Search for them. :)

Good luck, and great question!

AdiaFaith 09-02-2004 06:04 PM

How Ironic of you to ask, I was just working on adding a section about this to one of my blogs. I eat out constantly, working 10-6 daily with no fridgie in this joint. :)

Deciding where to eat all depends on your willpower and of course what phase you're on.

I, like Laurie always check websites of restaurants before I head out. You'd be surprised as even your local spots might have a site. And I, like Laurie LOVE Ruby Tuesdays. They have fantastic choices, I could go everyday!

Applebee's is great as long as you alter a few things. Their Veggie Patch Pizza is great as long as you ask for a wheat tortilla. Great variety of salads, just ask for dressing on the side. Artichoke and Spinach dip is great if you ask for fresh veggies instead of chips.

Taco Bell - Grab a taco salad and skip the bowl. Just don't eat it, you can do it. Ask for extra beans as their fat content is low and make sure you get chicken.

Subway's Salads are great for you, just make sure you don't add too much dressing, or use your own.

Chinese - See if you can find a place that does Mongolian BBQ, pick you own veggies, meat, and a light sauce and watch them cook it! If you can find a place that does light sauces with their entrees, order it without rice, or bring your own brown rice.

Look for local areas websites and check their menus.
Atkins taught me an important lesson, always ASK. Ask for changes, see what they have. Customize your order. Don't be afraid.

I have to run, it's 6:05 and Bry and the puppy are going to chew my arm off if I don't get out of here. Check my blog up and coming, I should have a post on what I do at different places soon.

Bunnababy 09-02-2004 08:44 PM

There are some good choices in there but...the SBD website says to stay out of Taco Bell because nothing there is friendly. One reason is that they add carb filler to their meats so just be careful and I would put that on an occasional treat list according to SBD information. Hope it didn't ruin your lunch plans Sarah :)

AdiaFaith 09-02-2004 08:54 PM

Drat, well, I tried. I checked out the site and noted they didn't add lard to their beans...they had to go and ruin in. Thanks for the info Bunna! ::Crossing Taco Bell off the list::

wendyjo 09-03-2004 09:00 AM

Ruby Tuesday makes a great grilled chicken salad, except they put bacon on it (yuck) but you can ask them not too. It's a huge salad and will fill you up without filling you out :)

Barb0522 09-03-2004 09:23 AM

If I need to do fast food, I prefer Wendy's. I'm not much of a salad person but I like to get a small chili (add onions) and a side salad. Or I get the grilled chicken sandwhich which is okay without the bun but I have trouble resisting the bun so I don't normally order it. The chili and side salad is very filling and is not too high on the sodium which is something I watch because of my high blood pressure. Their web side lets you expand out the product and leave things off (such as the crackers on the chili and the dressing on the salad).

Bunnababy 09-03-2004 01:13 PM

We don't have Ruby Tuesday's out here yet so I pretty much eat at Wendy's when I want something different. I really miss my oriental food though so gonna have to work on getting that legal for me. We know the owner of the one we eat at so he will gladly cook just for me. I usually have spicy prawns and chicken in vegis. I sure miss my Mandarin Chow Mein though. :hungry:

yaya9577 09-03-2004 02:49 PM

I usually do the Wendy's salads or carb cutter chicken with salad. When we go out, I sometimes have Applebee's salad or we share the fajitas but dont eat the rice or tortillas. Today I did try Sonic's grilled chicken salad and it was yummy!

GoldieFun 09-07-2004 08:59 AM

Thanks, everyone -- this has been very helpful! Unfortunately Ruby Tuesday's is about 45 minutes from here, but DH loves it so we can go occaisionally. We do have Applebees and I am happy to know we have have spinach artichoke dip with veggies there -- is it OK even for Phase one? I also LOVE Wendy's salads -- is the chili OK for Phase One as well?

We are going to try to eat at home as much as possible, but I want to be prepared just in case, you know?

You all are the BEST!! Thanks!!

:) Lauren

Ruthxxx 09-07-2004 09:18 AM

The chili is probably made with beef - not lean, I'm sure. I'd skip it unless you find it's made with just beans - and what would be the point? You can make a good chili at home using lean ground beef.