Crockpot cooking question...about that pork loin

• It would not be a day without at least one cooking question from me, right?

Have a 2.75 lb pork loin in the crockpot. Put in just over one cup water and a can of chicken broth. Big hunks of onion and some garlic cloves.

Should the pork loin be covered with fluids? Or will the crockpot steam work that out?

And about how long does this need to cook?

• There's lots of liquid in there - not to worry! On HIGH it will take about 5 hours. On Low it will be about 8. Enjoy!
  • Thank you!!! Signing off now to get ready for the Wiggles and will feel much better leaving the house with my pork cooking away.

So next time, less fluids?
  • I don't know about the original recipe, but I cook stuff with just enough moisture to cover the bottom and come about ½ an inch up around the roast. Throw in some garlic if you have time.
  • I saw the recipe for this yesterday and have it planned for supper tomorrow. Thanks for the extra hints, Ruth.
  • You don't really need that much liquid in a crockpot. Depending on the meat, some are fattier then others. Like what Ruth said, just some in the bottom and a little more is plenty.
  • My understanding is that you just need enough to keep the bottom of the meat from scorching. With that much liquid, you'll end up poaching the pork rather than steaming it. Still good, just different.

For something really exciting (though it takes some time), cut garlic cloves into thin slices, then cut deep cuts, about one inch long, all over the loin. Then shove a slice of garlic into each cut, as deep as you can fit it. This turns out amazing!!!

Are you seeing the Wiggles live, Jen? My cousin's daughter brought her Wiggles DVDs with her when she came to visit. They are very silly but a lot of fun, too! Bet your twinzels will have a blast!
  • I sometimes start the crockpot before I go to bed. In the morning, I pop it into the fridge for later. I often do a ham this way to have for cold cuts.