Monday Chat - August 16

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Quick entry this morning as The Girls are ready to roll!

The show at the Mill went well. The Preacher managed to get through his sermon without garbling everything! Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Now on to the next one – Miss Allyn recalls teaching school in the 1860’s. That shouldn’t be too hard to script as I have her old letters and the woman playing her IS a retired teacher. Anna is 75 and full of vim and vigour. She is also tiny and perky, like a chickadee! I’m going over there this afternoon to throw some ideas around.

Sarah is to work this morning and has to redo the dog yard grass. It looks strange right now as she had to stop because of rain last week. It looks like a maze in progress. I have lots of other stuff for her to do as well but am not going to work with her this morning as I have my own list which includes laundry, making dog food, making Scotch broth soup and preserving those peaches before the darn fruit flies take over the kitchen. The tomatoes are cranking up too so I’ll probably be doing the Big Pickle next week. Herb jellies are on the list too. Oy!

The sunrise is beautifully clear this morning. I think I’ll have coffee on the deck with my darlings and watch the day unfold.

I hate to mention this but we are now halfway through the August Challenge. How's it going?

• Good morning

Dh woke me up at 6:00 just before he left. Early start for him today, so I guess that translates into an early start for me, too.

Looks like I'm going to have to start over on that hat again. I desperately need some size 7 circulars with a 12" cord. I keep dropping stitches on those blasted dpn's.

The pulled pork yesterday was awesome if I do say so. I'm just not a person who cooks or eats fresh pork...for whatever reason, I can't stand the smell, taste or texture. But I was pleasantly surprised. I'll post the recipe on the recipe thread for anyone who's interested. Also had saute'd spinach.

Ruth, you are just waaaay to busy, woman. What's the deal with all these scripts you've been cranking out lately?

Ok, gotta go post that recipe before I run off to the shower. I'll try and pop back in later.

everyone have a great day on the Beach~~

Mamacita
  • Re: Scripts!
    Back in the Spring I was asked to do monologues about three women ad part of the Heritage Society's "Saints and Sinners of our Township" presentation. Several of the audience were members of the Mill Society, as I am, and suggested we do a similar presentation once a month at The Mill. So I've been researching people who lived in the 1800's and writing little plays of 20 minutes or so. That's about 4 to 5 thousand words. I seem to be writer, producer, costume designer, director and actor for most of these but they are fun!

Hey! The mower just went on so Sarah is cutting the yard! Yahoo! I also saw a flock of geese and got into fall panic mode but they were flying North - just shifting Lakes, I guess. Maybe that's a sign that we may get warm weather.

I'll watch for the "pulled pork" recipe, Mama. Pork loin is on sale soon so....and I do like the ease of crockpot meals.
  • Hi everyone,

I seem to have my body used to my exercise schedule. This is good news.

Yesterday I was not OP. We had are annual homemade ice cream party. I did not go over board but did have a total of three scoops. Today I am back on Phase I.

I hope everyone survived the huricanes!

cac
  • Hey, girls!

Ruth, I'm so glad the show went well!! I love what you're doing with the 20 minute plays. It must be fun doing the researching.
    Fruit flies... crap! I think I've almost gotten rid of mine. I need a countertop compost container with a lid.
    Yeah, the geese are doing weird things this year. They're definitely confused. On the way to the cottage this weekend, there was a small flock of kamikaze geese that almost hit my car.

Mamacita, what a lovely thing you're doing knitting those caps.
    Yes, I'd love to see the recipe, please!!

Hey, HistoryChick! Welcome back!! How was your trip?

Little Chick, so glad the new undies worked out.

1busymomma, that is a BEAUTIFUL story about your grandmother! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Karen, don't get discouraged... when you least expect it, you'll be pregnant. We had so many "slip-ups" before getting married that DH and I figured we couldn't have children. So we went at it with reckless abandon, and five months later I was pregnant. And then number two child didn't come along until 6 1/2 years later. Who knows WHAT goes on down there!
    I'm glad you enjoyed your date with your DH!

skherb, is your bruise healing?

RNMom, I'm glad you're enjoying your time with your family!

Barb, so glad to hear that your sister is alright!!

Jodi, I'm SO sorry about your car. That is nasty. Good for you for speaking to the people in Walmart. They should be aware of things like that.

Chilichick, how's the rain? Still getting a lot?

Lisa, my mom is smaller than me, too. It makes me CRAZY when she says, "I'm so mad at myself. I gained a pound this week." Ummm... HELLOOOO!?!? I weigh 50 pounds more than you, Mom, and I am STRUGGLING!!

I had a great time at the cottage. Even when my friend accidently tipped me out of the canoe and I thought I was drowning.
    Unfortunately (and typically), I gained five pounds while we were up there, but I'm MOVING ON! I've got my day planned with OP foods, and I'm going to get back on track!
  • Hi, Cac... I missed your post!
  • Hi, all!

I hate posting and not posting to everyone but I am SO behind on things at work, and have a doctor's appt. this morning to boot, so I'm being pulled in 12 diff. directions right now.

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that I'm sending lots of : out to everyone and hoping this is a great day, in spite of it being a monday! (My best friend gave me a wipe-off board with Maxine on it that says, "If every day is a gift, I'd like to know where to return Mondays." )
  • I'm in to work early this morning because of a 7:30 conference call but I have to be at jury duty at noon. I packed some ham/cheese wraps for a quick lunch while driving there and hope to bring in my red pepper/hummus but I do have nuts measured out in case they won't let me bring them in. I think they just have a nasty snack machine with tempting FRANKENFOODS so I don't want to have to even get near it.

Ruth- you asked about the August challenge. I was stuck at a plateau until Thursday of last week but I have lost 3 pounds since then. I suspect I won't meet my goal but I'm making good progress. And even more important, my blood pressure is staying down now I am off the diuretic.

Mamacita- the pulled pork recipe looks good and easy. I'll have to try it soon. I never did learn to knit but I love to crochet. I haven't made the time lately though. I should have brought my current piece with me to jury duty but I don't know if I can bring the crochet hooks in through the metal detectors so I didn't try.
  • Hoo boy! Morning everyone!

Well, today is Terry's first day of work at the apartment complex. And, I have to go back to work today. I don't WANNA. It's a double-job day, but that's alright I guess. Gotta do it, for now, anyway.

I'm wiped. Been so used to staying up late that I couldn't sleep last night. Terry got up at 7 (which is when I usually get up) but I made him let me sleep until 8. I hope he does okay today. All week he's working 8-5 painting, then 5:30-whenever waiting tables. We're probably not gonna see much of each other, but at least the bills will get paid.

Volleyball starts up again on Wednesday. We took the entire summer off, so hopefully we'll get back into the swing of things no problem. Terry's not playing this season because he'd rather work, which I don't blame him. (I'd much rather play than work, however, so I'm playing!) We only play on Wednesdays, so it's not like we lose a ton of weight from it, but at least it tones me up a little bit, so I've been looking forward to it.

Well, anywho, I had better get in the shower and start the day. You all have a great one!
  • Good mornin'

I can't believe Monday has rolled around so quickly. I really do need another 3 days of weekend this week.

Ruth - Glad to hear that your show went well. I would really love to see you in action some time - you are such a talented person in so many ways.

cac - I have finally gotten into the exercise routine, also. I still don't like exercising, but I know that I need to get it done. I power walk on my lunch breaks and will be getting a fitness trainer in January to work on weight training. I know that when I miss one session, it gets easier to miss others, so I have tried to be really faithful with the workouts, also. I'm not sure if I am losing because of them, but at least I don't gain...

Mamacita - Hope the hat goes well. I am always unsure as to whether I should use DPNs or a circular needle. My luck always holds true that I have the wrong one for every project, though.

ellis - Do you have pics of the dump in the water. The worst dump that I had in the water was when a horse I was riding stepped into a hole at the bottom of the river and started to swim with my waist deep in water. The worst part was that it was during spring run-off from the mountains and the water was brutally cold. I rode all day in wet jeans and had burns up and down the inside of my thighs. At the time I was performing with CP Hotels and had to sing that night...I could barely walk. It was quite a sight.

Barb - Here's to an OP day. You can do it.

Laurie - Hi. Have a good day...

Weezle - Wishing Terry the best on his new job. I can empathize with you on the double jobs. I remember when DH and I built a new house. We had budgeted a 3% increase in interest rates (plenty of room for the times), but when we were building the interest rates increase by 13%. By the time we secured our mortgage, the payment for the mortgage, alone, was $4 more than DH got paid every month. On top of the mortgage there was food, utilities, car payments, etc. Our children were little at the time, so I didn't work because my entire salary would go to child care. Fortunately, DH was a licensed mechanic and was able to get a part-time job pulling wrenches to keep the bills paid. He also got the summers off (he was teaching), so could work full time as a mechanic in the summer. You just have to do what you have to do... Great job.

Got back from the FIL's birthday party yesterday. As usual, the wicked SIL spoiled it and she wasn't even there. BUT, of course she needed to call her father and let him know that she couldn't come because she wasn't invited. This accomplished 2 things: 1. She got her complaining in and made sure that FIL knew everything was someone else's fault. 2. She spoiled the surprise birthday party. She is a piece of work, but hopefully, we won't have to deal with it anymore.

The really bad part of the weekend is that I gained three pounds. I now have all of my August challenge weight to lose, plus an extra 3. I really must be disciplined the next 2 weeks to manage that. I am back on phase 1 for the next 2 weeks. I just need to get this done, and procrastinating losing the weight just won't make me very happy with myself.

While we were at the birthday party, I took a scrap book to the senior's home in which my in-laws live. It is a bit of a strange story behind this book.

When I was 5 my grandmother got a job as the matron of a senior's home and had an apartment in the home in Red Deer, Alberta. Since my mother worked and I was too young to leave at home, I spent the summers living in the senior's home with my grandmother. I have often joked that I grew up in an old folk's home.

As my in-laws moved around following retirement, they found themselves buying a house in a small town between Red Deer and Calgary. When they decided to sell their house, they bought a condo in Red Deer and settled in there. Three years ago, they decided to move into a senior's home and put their name on every waiting list in Red Deer. A month later, they called and told us that they were accepted into one of the homes and could we come and help them move. When we got there, low and behold, it is the same home in which I grew up.

I moved my mom into a senior's complex last year and found a scrap book that my grandmother put together, documenting all the things that happened over the 10 years that she was there - including cards from many of the residents and newspaper articles. Since the home is starting to prepare for their 50th anniversary, I took the scrap book down to them to use for that event. It was a small coincidence, indeed, but fun to look over the past 50 years.

When I dropped it off on Saturday, they were thrilled to get it. They don't have any of the really early stuff from the opening of the place. And that's the little story around the scrap book...

That's all that's happening in my life so far. Nothing serious, just life. Hope everyone has an OP day. Take care.
  • Good Morning ladies!

Yes I'm back....Ellis I had a wonderful time at the beach....The sun was out almost everyday so my brother's fiance and I were out on the beach attempting to get a little bit of sun....Hurricane Charley came at the end of the week but we were prepared...Actually nothing really happened....We had some rain and a little bit of wind but nothing bad....About 15 miles down the road though in Kitty Hawk there was a tornado and a lot of rain....One day we saw lots of dolphins playing around and then another day we saw about 4 schools of sting rays go by....I have never seen the water so clear down there...It was really nice...I didn't do too bad with the diet either...While the others ate pizza, fried foods, ice cream, and fudge...etc I stayed op...with the few exceptions of a few more peanuts than I should have had and 2 chicken tenders....Now I'm home and I called the man at the company I applied to...he hasn't graded my aptitude tests yet........so i'm still crossing my fingers....I'm thinking about going to a job fair tomorrow...so we shall see....How is everyone doing? Did everyone behave while I was gone?
  • Is monday over yet?
    I am so tired, I'm trying to re-train my body to getting up earlier for the upcoming school year. I usually have to be up at 5 or so to be to the bus barn at 5:45 for my route! Bleh. I just did not want to get hit with it all at once.

This year I am switching to special needs. I don't need the added stress of teenagers this year and I had the opportunity to drive a special needs route this summer and I really enjoyed it. So I approached my boss and asked and she told me she was thrilled that I wanted the job and to definitly give up the one I drove last year and bid on a sn route. I was suprised that she was so ecstatic about it, but she told me she saw that I was excellent with the kids and that I would do well on a sn route.

Not much else going on, it's officially been a week since I started SBD. I've lost a couple of pounds, but i'm still PMS'ing so we'll see what I weigh when all is said and done.

Historychick: your trip sounds so relaxing. Glad you are back though and safe and sound from the hurricane!

Sweet Tooth: SIL sounds like a real peice of work. She also sounds like my DBF's ex-wife. A real gem, Hardly!

Weezle: I totally sympathize with the job situation. I work 3 part time jobs (and still manage to have time for myself somehow lol) and DBF works from home but it's like he is never there, he is always on the phone in his office!
    Things will get better. I'm hoping to ditch one of my jobs eventually.

Barb: DBF just got done with jury duty. Hopefully all goes well. DBF was an alternate, so all he had to do was call in at the times listed and listen for his message if any.

Ellis: How was the cottage? Hopefully a relaxing time. It is an amazing story about my grandmother. I'm convinced there is a reason my sister and I found motivation to take it up and then find them so quickly. I don't think it was a coincidence either! LOL. My grandma is still tickled pink at the knowledge of having 3 sisters to dote on. Family is important to all of us.

Ruth: the play sounds fun, but hard work! I was in plays as a child and enjoyed it, my mom the costumer etc....I spent many a summer in the high school theater acting my heart out.

Well, I have to run I hear the pitter patter of feet. It's breakfast time for the kiddos. I'm sorry I did not get to respond to all of you. Have a good, friendly OP monday!
  • Happy Monday Chickies!!

Quick note again today, I'll be back on track soon. It is safe to say I am the poster child for poor SBD behavior the past 72 hours. Oh well, no regrets. Its a lifestyle change and I move forward. I refuse to step on the scale until my regular Friday weigh in, why do that to myself and who knows...if I am a good P1 chick this week I might not see a difference.

I have a proposal that is late for work, but had to check in while the twins were napping. We are taking the kids to see the Wiggles tomorrow. Should be an adventure.

Quack quack quack, cocka doodle doo
  • Hello
    How are ya'll??? I'm still enjoying the week with the kids. Yesterday was our big day with family and friends. I had a backyard BBQ and fed about 75 people. I made all the desserts, salads and treats that I've been missing and tasted some of everything. No guilt! Had waffles and homemade strawberry jam for breakfast. That tasted good. NOW, I'm back on track. The family is here for another week, but I'm not going to continue that way I have for the last 4 days. So, that's my life in a nutshell. I have to go back to work on Thursday. Boohoo. It's been so nice to be "off the planet" for just awhile.

Ruth, enjoy canning. I love seeing homecanned foods. They are so pretty (I know I'm weird)

Mama, not sure about the pork either.

CAC, an icecream party would do me in too. I made homemade ice cream last week and had to have a few scoops.

Ellis, glad you didn't drown! We would have missed you.

Beachgal, I know about the 12 different directions. It would be nice to have at least a clone.

Barb, good luck with avoiding the frankenfood. I'll send good vibes your way.

Weezle, hopefully working two jobs isn't going to be a lifetime thing.

Sweetooth, cool about the scrapbook thing. We've been going thru slides and pictures while the kids are here. There's stuff they haven't seen, they are really having a hoot.

Historychick, good luck with the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1busymomma, GO BACK TO BED!!!

smilintwins, I'm back on track with ya!!!
  • Hi chickies...I am finally back. It's been a hectic couple of weeks. I am happy to report that my dad is finally out of the ICU and the hospital. They finally determinied that the internal bleeding was from an aneurysm in his abdomen and have been able to fix the problem. PHEW.....It was scary for a few days there that he wasn't going to make it through.

I was very bad this weekend..... bread....blue cheese mash potatoes....yukon potatoe chips, and chocolate mocha cake with chocolate ganach...Boy was it all good. I am back OP today, but did miss breakfast. It's getting harder to stay motivated to stay POP exactly.....

Hope everyone is having a good day on the beach!
    Sheila