3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Ice cream? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/45064-ice-cream.html)

weezle 08-13-2004 11:02 PM

Ice cream?

Quick question....found the recipe for Wendy's Frosties....can we have vanilla ice cream if it's made with splenda? Just wondering. Probably not, huh.

Frosty 08-13-2004 11:50 PM

Personally, I would not just because of the high fat content.

Have you thought of trying with a no sugar low fat frozen yougurt or ice cream?

Ruthxxx 08-14-2004 08:19 AM

According to the Guide (page 84), ice cream is not part of the SBD. If you do eat it it should be sugar-free and a very occasional treat. Read the ingredients - there's more in there besides Splenda and milk!
I'm such a party pooper! :(

weezle 08-14-2004 10:02 AM

I figured as much. A Frostie sounds SO good though. That's alright.....I probably don't need it anyway. Thanks girls!

Kiko 08-14-2004 01:28 PM

Weezle- At least Ruth didn't scream FRANKENFOOD at you like she may have wanted to! :lol:

1busymomma 08-14-2004 01:43 PM

What about making vanilla sf/ff pudding and freezing it to use in place of the ice cream? It has a creamy texture to it, even when frozen. Just a suggestion, I'm not even sure what the recipe is!

LaurieX 08-14-2004 04:37 PM

I've actually made my own ice cream to be low fat and sugar free, turns out pretty good. Not as convenient as a Frostie, but pretty much guilt free. If I can find the recipe, I'll post it. I'm a total scatter brain right now.

Islander 08-14-2004 04:56 PM

Hi LaurieX, I would love the recipe! :o

nelie 08-14-2004 05:28 PM

There is a recipe for ziploc ice cream in the phase 1 deserts, it is very good, I would highly recommend it.

pikapuffie 08-15-2004 02:20 PM

Personaly I just get the "real" treat once in a while instead of low fat/low sugar alternatives. cause i figure they aren't exactly good for you either so why not splurge and get the real thing. i find once a month or even once a week doesn't affect my weight loss so if you've been good you can afford it! :)

btw i just wanna say how cool it is that we have almost the exact same numbers! thats crazy! :)

weezle 08-15-2004 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikapuffie
btw i just wanna say how cool it is that we have almost the exact same numbers! thats crazy! :)

Holy crap. That IS strange......wanna race? :tread:

Just kidding! I've been stalled lately anyway due to excess water that Aunt Flo brought with her. Congrats on your loss though!!!! We rock! (We'll see if I'm hollering that when I'm still 140 in a couple of weeks.) Take care!

beachgal 08-16-2004 09:02 AM

Guys, Ruth is right. Ice cream isn't part of the SBD, unfortunately. The Ziploc ice cream is pretty good, and I would think that if you made your own, using SBD friendly milk and no sugar, that would be fine too. :yes:

That said, if you are going to splurge, Dr. A says that you are better off getting the real stuff and having it once, rather than eating the light stuff day after day because you aren't satisfied. Realize, though, that if you have sugar again, you'll have to detox again. <shudder>

girl81 08-17-2004 03:42 AM

i'm sorry, i'm confused. is sugar-free, fat-free ice cream allowed? like edy's brand?

Parsp 08-17-2004 03:55 PM

I'm with girl81. Why would the sf, ff yogurt be allowed but not the ice cream?

beachgal 08-17-2004 05:01 PM

Neither of them are allowed, unfortunately (neither frozen yogurt nor ice cream). To be honest, most of the SF/FF ice creams are frankenfood...processed food with tons of weird, unpronounceable ingredients. You really want to stay away from them. There are those that make the argument that the popsicles are the same way, and that there is less fat and such in the ice cream than the pudding, which we are allowed, but the truth is, you have to do what works for you.

Stay away from ingredients that cause indigestion, like sugar alchohols, if you can, don't get swayed by "low carb" ice creams...they are no better than the rest, and just plan stay away from ice cream, if you can. It's really the best thing. And this is coming from a woman who ate several bowls worth of full fat ice cream every night for two years. That's partly how I got to where I am. ;)