South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 03:33 PM   #16  

The steak kabobs in the cookbook have a really good marinade. I think it is soy sauce, artificial brown sugar, garlic, and I can't remember the rest. Does someone have the cookbook with them who can give the ingredients? If not, I'll look it up when I get home tonight. I also love to marinade things with ginger.

Many of the Newman's Own Dressings are fine for phase 1. Sounds like the one you have is fine. I have the Balsamic Vinegar which is great.

Your marinade sounds good but we'd need to know the ingredients.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #17  

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the meal ideas barb, i'll look up the kebob recipe. I've tried the Newman's Balsamic regular dressing, its really yummy... I'll give the light one a try.

ingredients for Carb Options Teriyaki Mainade...

water, soy sauce, salt, distilled vineagar, soybean oil, modified food starch, caramel color, roasted sesame oil, garlic powder, ginger, xanathan gum. citric acid, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, natural flavors, and sucralose (splenda)

I hope its legal for phase 1, i'm going to try it today.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:46 PM   #18  

I buy a lot of blended powdered seasonings - morocan, cajun, lemon pepper, piri piri, and find these a good way to flavour steak, boneless chicken breast and fish. I tend to use olive oil as a dressing but bought some balsamic vinegar when I started SB Diet and its really yummy. You can splash it on your salad or mix it with oil to make a vinagerette. There are lots of infused olive oils around so I thought I might try that once summer came around.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #19  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Elie, check out the recipes in the recipe forum. A big favorite for Phase 1 around here is the Taco Bake, and it has a lot of flavor. I love the stuffed chicken breasts and the almond dijon chicken.

For spicing up both chicken and steak, I always use at least Lawry's seasoning salt (which has sugar in it, but a tiny amount and it hasn't given me tremors or affected my loss) and garlic powder. There are a ton of great spices you can then add, from Montreal seasoning (they make one for steak and one for chicken) to cumin (a favorite of mine). Check out the recipes at www.cookinglight.com. You have to register to see them, but they are free and fabulous and well worth the time of registering. I love their food because it has so much flavor!

The dressing and marinade both sound fine. Check out the carb options to see if they have sugar alcohols. If so, see how you feel when you eat it...sugar alcohols can make you sick, either in your stomach or your intestines, but everyone reacts differently.

I love the Pfeiffer brand of dressings, especially Ranch and Bleu Cheese. They both have lg of sugar and almost no fat. For dressings, you want 3, 2, 1, or 0 grams of sugar, and very little to no saturated fat. I have found many that fit this description. I love Annie's Naturals "Tuscany Italian dressing", which is great with feta cheese. Yum!!!

Good luck to both you and swim girl. The detoxing from sugar is horrible, but you feel SO good after...I have never felt healthier in my life! :
Old 07-27-2004, 03:56 PM   #20  

That Teriyaki Marinade sounds okay to me. Anyone spot any problems?

There is also a pork chop recipe in the cookbook that has a good marinade. I have a hard time getting my husband to eat chicken so I haven't tried the chicken recipes yet.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #21  

Height: 5'4"

Chick, the blended powder seasonings sound good. I had not thought about those.
I really suck at mixing seasonings so this would be a great thing to try.

Beachgal, I think I have Lawry's seasoned salt. I think I might try that in phase 2 because of the sugar, hopefully when I get there. Thanks for the guidelines for searching for dressings... what about carb count? Does anyone know what is the max amount of carb grams?

Barb, I like pork chops, so i'll take a look at that recipe too.

Thanks for all the help gals, I feel a little better about sticking to the diet until the nausea settles.

Swimgal, I really hope your nausea goes away soon too!
Old 07-27-2004, 04:33 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I just took a nap, yup, thats how energy deprived I am. Anyways, I feel less tired, but headachey (where is my boyfriend with my darn headache pills!), but my body seriously aches all over, not to mention I'm still dealing with nausea. My plan of attack is to buy something sweet, FF cool whip and FF jello. At least I can FEEL like I'm feeding myself something "bad", and hopefully that will end my nausea at the thought of eating anything? It's fuzzy logic I know, but I'm also planning to go for a nice slow walk in the fresh air in hopes of feeling better.

This is my second detox from sugar since the summer started, most people would always consider me in a stage of quitting sugar. So, if I've quit why would I go back to eating so much sugar, even knowing how bad detox can be? Well, I just never end up feeling better, my energy level never seems to get up, I take multivitamins, eat enough protein and good carbs, just doesn't seem to help my energy level. But this time I'm doing it for weight loss, not to feel better, so I'm hoping that will help. This is also the worst I've felt when doing this, so I suspect I do have a little bit of a flu along with the sugar withdrawl. Anyways! Thats my life long story (or close enough), thanks for all the little tips ( I am going out to buy salad dressing later). Goodluck with your nausea elie
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #23  
I can do this!

Elie, we do not count any carbs on SBD. The number of carbs simply doesn't matter, at all. The only time I pay it any attention is when I'm trying to figure out hos much of a starch is in a product. Otherwise, it doesn't matter at all. I know I'm repeating myself, but it's really hard to get this across, for some reason...everyone keeps trying to count carbs. Anyways, the only guidelines for dressings are the ones I mentioned. j

Swimgirl, I'm sorry that you don't find the energy boost with the sugar gone. If you have a lot of weight to lose, that might affect the amount of energy you feel. On the other hand, if you are really addicted to sugar and have any eating issues, you might be telling yourself that giving up sugar doesn't work so you can go back to it. I know I did that, a lot! I have found a lot of help in Overeaters Anonymous. If you are interested, you can check it out at www.oa.org

Detoxing totally sucks...but the voracity of it made me realize how totally addicted I was to the darn sugar. And it made me less likely to cheat...I don't want to have to go through that again!!!

Headaches, cravings, tiredness, crankiness, etc. seem to be common complaints from the detox, which seems to last anywhere from 3 to five days for most of the SBDers here. We'll be keeping you in our prayers that this ends quickly for you and gets much, much easier!!!
Old 07-27-2004, 06:26 PM   #24  

Thank you beachgal I appreciate all the help you all have been in the past day, it's been extremely hard for me.. unfortunately I decided not to go cold turkey from sugar. I think if my job didn't take so much energy I wouldn't have such a problem, but there are people gone, so I'm the main person, which boosts my hours from 20 to 40+. It took a long time for me to come to this decision, but I think that if I can wean myself off sugar in the next week I will be set to start South Beach 100%. Whats "overeaters anonymous" ? Does it apply if I don't eat enough? Generally I eat pretty good, a typical day for me is oatmeal with blue berries and soymilk, and then for lunch a whole wheat or wheat free sandwich with fruit and lite mayo and mustard, or a salad. And for dinner a salad or stirfry, or bbq chicken (sugar free bbq sauce, leftover from my last sugar free kick). Quite a few times I miss meals though, but I try and have a snack. It might be possible that I don't eat enough! I recently quit trying to count calories, I was staying under 1,500 and 40 grams of fat a day, I was gaining weight, which led me to South Beach.. weight loss is so confusing!!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:41 AM   #25  
I can do this!

Hi, Swimgirl! Have you tried putting in what you eat in www.fitday.com? That might give you a better picture of what is going on. I may be nuts, but I would think that if you were eating only what you mentioned, you would be losing weight like crazy...unless maybe you are supplementing it with things that have sugar and lots of calories?

Overeaters Anonymous is for anyone who has major issues with food...either eating too much or eating too little (lots of members are recovering bullemics or anorexics). All members share that they are powerless over food and need help. Check out the website for more if you are interested or unsure if the program would be right for you.

I knew my detox would take about three days, so I decided to start SBD near a weekend. By Monday I was pretty much back to normal. Wonder if you could do the same with your day(s) off so that you don't have to focus on work so much? It's a shame that you are working so hard!

If you aren't eating other things beyond what you mentioned, maybe you should see a nutritionist for help figuring out what is going on? Maybe you are in starvation mode from not enough calories? Wish I knew enough to help. But I'll be praying for you to find a way that works for you!
Old 07-28-2004, 10:22 AM   #26  

I have been wondering for years if there was something wrong with my body, because it seems the only diet I can ever lose weight with is an Atkins type diet, which just isn't sustainedable (don't think thats a real word, heh), I last maybe a week. I dislike meat. I went to see a couple doctors about it, one told me I was eating too much (so I cut back more and got really sick, so that doctor was wrong). And the other tested my thyroid, which came back normal. But everytime I go to see a doctor I try and explain how sensitive my body is, and how I *know* there is something stopping it from losing weight, and it aint me! No doctor has believed me yet, I have other symptoms which has lead me to believe I might have PCOS. I just need a doctor to prove it, but again, I haven't found a doctor who will believe me. Someone with PCOS mentioned South Beach diet was the only one that worked for them, so thats what led me to try it, and I do plan on returning when I can slowly wean myself from sugar, which I'm hoping I can accomplish within a week. I've even seen a few nutritionists, and they've helped me a bit, it seems the only major thing about my diet is that I don't get enough protein. So I've been working on that, but otherwise both nutritionists didn't have much more for me to work on. So who knows.. I keep plugging away..
Closed Thread