fudgsicles

• Here are two more questions:
    I bought "No Sugar Added" fudgsicles. The supermarket person said sugar free fudgsicles do not exist. I just had one a no sugar added fudgsicle. Are these the ones I'm to enjoy?

I had this fudgsicle for lunchime dessert instead of jello. Is this OK? Am I supposed to follow the meal plan to the letter or is the meal plan a suggestion? I've not had the suggested salads each day, but repeated some and same with breakfast. I've had eggbeaters and turkey bacon in the am.

Thanks for your responses.
  • I have been unable to find no sugar fudgsicles and bought the same ones you describe. I did find no sugar popsicles and they were surprisingly good.

I'll let others respond to your questions about the plan. I am relatively new to SBD and still making sure I have the plan down.
  • The meal plan is definitely only a suggestion! Most chickies just choose their menu from the foods that are permitted.

Fudgsicles sweetened with Splenda or other artificial sweetener are fine. Check the nutritional value and go ahead as long as you don't exceed your daily allowance of 75 calories of "sweets" which means artificial sweeteners only.

Quote:
    SWEET TREATS (Limit to 75 calories per day)
    Candies, hard, sugar-free
    Chocolate powder, no-added-sugar
    Cocoa powder, baking type
    Fudgsicles, sugar-free
    Gelatin, sugar-free
    Gum, sugar-free
    Popsicles, sugar-free
    Sugar substitute

Some Sugar Free Products may be made with sugar alcohols (isomalt, lactitol, mannitol, sorbitol or xylitol) and are permitted on the SBD. They may have associated side effects of GI distress (abdominal pain, diarrhea & gas) if consumed in excessive amounts.

SUGAR SUBSTITUTES
    Acesulfame K
    Fructose (needs to be counted as Sweet Treats, Caloric Limit)
    Nutrasweet (Equal)
    Saccharin (Sweet & Low)
    Sucralose (Splenda)
    Stevia (Not approved by FDA)
    Be sure to eat lots of different veggies and drink your water.
  • Quote: I had this fudgsicle for lunchime dessert instead of jello. Is this OK? Am I supposed to follow the meal plan to the letter or is the meal plan a suggestion? I've not had the suggested salads each day, but repeated some and same with breakfast. I've had eggbeaters and turkey bacon in the am.
    Carol, keep this in mind (it's something that has been talked about a lot on this forum): Those meal plans were not devised by the Doctor who wrote this diet. It doesn't mean they're good or bad, but it does mean that you don't have to follow them. You can construct your own meal plan based on the Ph1 and Ph2 food lists. On Ph1, this is what a general day looked like for me (I'm a creature of habit and I eat the same thing every day, more or less):

Breakfast:
    1) 2 eggs + 2 egg whites, scrambled. 2 pieces of turkey bacon. Glass of Skim milk.
    OR
    2) Three eggs whipped with 2 tbsp. of ricotta cheese and 1pkg of Splenda, fried up like an omelette with fat-free Pam spray, with glass of skim milk.

Lunch:
    1) Bean & Artichoke Salad w/feta cheese (recipe can be found in the recipe section on this forum)
    or
    2) Leftovers from the previous night's dinner

Snack:
    2 triangles of Laughing Cow Lite cheese with raw veggies (celery & red peppers usually) -- sometimes 30 pistachios, if I don't plan on having any nuts later in the day

Dinner:
    Grilled chicken breast with steamed veggies and a huge salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing

Evening Snack:
    1) My modified ricotta creme recipe -- 1/4 cup skim ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese, 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tsp. natural peanut butter (which is only peanuts and oil), 2 packets splenda, splash of skim milk, splash of vanilla extract. Blend in the blender until smooth.
    OR
    2) S/F chocolate pop, with Free Cool Whip

You have to make sure that you don't exceed the daily limits on things like nuts (only one serving a day, and you can only have a certain number of nuts or the equivalent in natural peanut butter, which is 2 tsp.), 2 cups of skim milk, 2 pieces of turkey bacon. etc. Those things are limited because if you eat too much, you're either getting way too much fat or natural sugars.

Good luck.
  • Most people make there own menus based on legal foods. I don't have a desert after lunch, just dinner but this is legal food so have it as a snack or desert. I like to save my 'treats' until after dinner when I am most likely to pick but find what works for you.
  • Mitten...thanks for your reply. I had some of the same questions as Carol. Your post answered a few things for me~!

And thanks to everone else too! I love the friendliness of this forum~ I'm a happy camper here

Carol...in answer to your question today, no, I don't belong to a gym. I plan on walking and lifting some free weights after I get into Phase2. When my youngest starts back to school this fall, I am contemplating Curves.

Lisa
  • I purchase no sugar/low-carb pops - I think 4 net carbs rather than 11 or 7 with the NSA ones!
  • Oops
    OOps! Well that explains why I haven't lost any weight this week! I've been buying those no sugar added 45 cal. pops too. But we are allowed 75 calories in sweets so I figured it was o.k. since it was under 75 cals. I guess we should look for the sugar-free ones...I saw them but there were less pops for more money than the Fudgsicles and I'm a cheapskate !

All kidding aside, it sounds like you are doing fine. I don't think it will do any harm...I ate the same ones on Phase 1 and did lose weight both weeks...I'm on my second Phase 2 week now.
  • the final answer
    I bought the south Beach Diet Good Fat, God Carbs Guide and the fudgsicles which are "no sugar added" are the ones I can eat. The ones I found are 45 calories. Thanks for all your support.
  • I buy the no sugar added fudgesicles two boxes at a time and have one every day. Sometimes alone and sometimes with coolwhip and peanut butter. Deeeeeelicious! Hasn't hurt my weight loss at all.
  • The NSA Fudgesicles are the ones that most people on here are using. The carbs in these fudgesicles don't affect your weightloss on this plan--so don't buy different ones just because you think they would affect your weightloss.

I have a creamsicle or a SF jell-o with 2 Tbsp Cool whip for dessert with lunch, then a fudgesicle or a PB cup for dessert after dinner. I can fit five calories worth of gum in there for my total 75 cals of sweet treats. I love having a dessert with lunch, but it's a "to each their own" thing. You can certainly have the fudgesicle after lunch if it works for you.
  • The sugar in the fudgesicles would probably be from the milk products (lactose) in them anyways wouldn't it? Mine are sweetened with splenda but still say NSA because of the natural sugar.
  • Yup, Ozziesgrrl...that's it exactly! And we don't have to worry about the sugar from the milk, in fact, it's a good thing (as Incarcerated Martha would say...)