hoisin sauce?

• I had mongolian bbq tonite and i used hoisin sauce as one of my sauces. I made the choice because i seen it in a reciepe in the SB cook book so i thought it would be ok. What do you girls think any feed back would be nice
  • Hmmm I'm not sure so don't quote me on it but I think hoisin has sugar in it, but I can't remember and I don't have a bottle so I can't check...
  • Yup! Mine says brown sugar is the second ingredient. Now we need to write somebody in China to request a Splenda sweetened one!
  • It seems like I've seen some recipes for Phase 3 in the cookbook that contain hoisin, but I assume it's a no no for 1 and 2.
  • I'm not sure how bad normal Hoisin sauce is but I found a Splenda sweetened one that it looks like can be bought off the net http://www.locarbdiner.com/steel_hoisin.html It looks like all the ingredients are OP.
  • From Fitday

Amount Per 1 tablespoon
    Calories 39.6
    Calories from Fat 5.49
    Total Carbohydrate 7.93g
    Dietary Fiber 0.504g
    Protein 0.596g

So it looks like a small amount won't kill you.

(I had steamed baby bok choy the other night dressed with a smear of Hoisin and a sprinkle of sesame oil!)
  • There is a Phase 2 recipe in the cookbook that uses Hoisin, but I think it's something like a teaspoon for a dish that serves four. So I think Ruth is exactly right. A small amount won't hurt. I figure we treat it like honey, molasses, worcestershire sauce, etc...a small amount is fine, a bit amount is not.

When you get stir fry next time, Melissa, try getting sesame oil and light soy sauce, if they have it. That would be SBD friendly (and yummy!).
  • I would treat it the same way you treat dressings. Less than 3g sugar per serve is the cut off to be SBD friendly.
  • thanks ladies, i am not too concerned, i figure if it was a total voodoo it would not be in the book. It was the lettuce wraps with thte shrimp that has it. and besides after you cook it on a mongolian bbq it alll runns into the drain so i doubt i even had that much of it. Lol it's not the end of my life.