South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 10:57 PM   #1  

Wink Newbie - Day 14-Phase one

This is my first time to the message board. I am so glad to find you all. I haven't weighed myself today so I don't know how much I have lost so far, except to say that on day 10 I had lost EIGHT POUNDS!!!!

My start weight was 286 and I am thinking that I should go one more week on Phase one. I am a little aprehensive to start II, as I have been pretty successful at Phase I. Anybody have any thoughts on that?????

I also want to see if you all think this recipie would be good for Phase II. I need an alternate idea for the noodles. I love this Vietnamiese soup at restaurants, so I hope this is something that I can include on this new eating lifestyle.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

Jen
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

2 tsp olive oil
1 cup onion(s), chopped
1/2 pound lean beef sirloin, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cup beef broth, reduced-sodium
1 average cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp peppercorn(s), black, (about 5 peppercorns)
1/2 tsp table salt
8 oz packaged rice noodles, dried, flat
2 medium scallion(s), chopped
1 cup bean sprouts, fresh
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, fresh

Instructions

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 2 minutes, until soft. Add beef and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until browned on all sides. Add broth, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes. (Note: Star anise pods are added to traditional beef pho to help flavor the broth. Add and remove 1 to 2 star anise pods with the cinnamon stick and black peppercorns, if desired.)

Meanwhile, cook rice noodles in a large pot of boiling water for 6 to 8 minutes, until just tender. Drain and transfer to individual shallow bowls.

Remove cinnamon stick and peppercorns from beef mixture. Using a slotted spoon, spoon beef and onion over noodles. Top beef with scallions, sprouts and cilantro. Ladle remaining broth over dishes and serve. Yields about 3/4 cup of beef and broth mixture and 3/4 cup of noodles per serving.
[/SIZE]
Old 06-20-2004, 12:22 AM   #2  

Hi Jen

Congrats on your weight loss. You have done really well sticking to phase one. You can continue on phase one for up to four weeks. If you have a lot to lose it can be a good idea to stay on phase one for longer than two weeks. Slowly introduce starches on phase two. Perhaps you could introduce a daily piece of fruit for a week then a daily starch in addition to this. If you add a whole heap at once you tend to stall or even regain weight.

I wouldn't have a clue what to substitute rice noodles for, perhaps you could just leave them out altogether. It sounds tasty without them. I have been eating lots of bowls of chilli or curry without the rice. It just looks weird on a plate but in a nice bowl it looks like its meant to be like that.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:57 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to the Beach, Jen, and congratulations on your loss!!

Hmm... if you hunt around (health food stores, etc), you should be able to find some low-carb pastas/noodles to replace the rice noodles.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:29 AM   #4  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the Beach. Great loss. Keep up the great work.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:29 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach and on your loss so far!
Closed Thread