South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 04:29 PM   #1  

Default anyone own a george foreman grill?

(side note, i wrote out the whole post and then my comp froze now i have to rewrite. ugh. )

anyways!
i just got one today and its so fun! and its so perfect for SBD. got it cause we dont' have a BBQ and with summer being so short an indoor griller is just more practical. it came with the rotisserie machine as a special set, basically free! does anyone have that one? we haven't tried it yet but we tried the griller and it was great! chicken was a tiny bit dry cause we forgot to brush olive oil first and we left it in a tiny bit too long i think. but still pretty good. and we grilled some veggies that came out perfect!

does anyone else own the griller or the rotisserie? what do you like to make with it?

Old 05-29-2004, 04:38 PM   #2  

I have the small grill and then I also got the large one. I love the small one for things like grilled cheese sandwiches (for my son), hot dogs, and grilled vegetables. I usually drag out the big one for fish or hamburgers. I just started SBD a week ago so I need to start using it more. If your grill didn't come with the George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine Cookbook, you might want to check it out in a bookstore. Lots of the recipes seem like they will work on SBD without any changes!
Old 05-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #3  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Yes I have one too but it never came with any of the good stuff you guys have! I got it awhile ago, maybe he didn't offer all the goodies then. I also have the hamilton beach grill which is pretty much the same thing, only I have the big one. They are great, although I just learned how long to leave it on so it doens't get dry. That was a hard one for me. I'm no cook. I always wanted the rotisserie, thats a great deal you got pikapuffie! Have fun grillin
Old 05-29-2004, 10:13 PM   #4  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I marinade my meat before I put it on the grill then I find it is not so dry. Hope that helps. I love mine I use it all the time through out the winter months, now I use the bque.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:32 PM   #5  

I have the rotisserie and I LOVE it. I use it two or three times a week. It is great for whole chickens and pork roasts.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 315/315/200

I have a copycat of the grill and it has a temperature control. I cook so many things in it. My best suggestions is use a ziplock bag and marinate the meat before cooking anf keep an eye on it it cooks fast and over cooks even faster.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:54 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yup, overcooking is the only problem for me too. I keep forgetting that both sides cook at once. I am thinking about the rotisserie model but storage space is a restriction.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:16 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks for the tips everyone! We got the grill when we started SBD, for the same reasons as Pika...it's so hard to spend hundreds of dollars on an outside grill that we can only use a couple months out of the year!

A couple things that frustrate/confuse me about the grill:

+ How do you vent it? I try putting mine as close to the stove as I can and turn the fan on, but some of the smoke gets away from the fan.

+How do you clean it? I try using the plastic thing, but it's not very effective. I end up with crusty awful stuff. Cleaning the bottom is not as hard with the pan to catch the water, but cleaning the top guarantees a huge mess. Any tips?

+Does anyone have tips for thick cuts of meat? The outside ends up burnt with a raw interior. We're talking 2-3" steaks.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:21 AM   #9  

I clean my grill by scraping it with the plastic thingie and then I pour water on it while it's hot. The water pours into the grease cup and I scrape more with the scraper. Then, I let it cool and wash it with soapy water and rinse. Regarding the upper part, I lay that part flat and just wash it with soapy water, a rag and rinse it.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:33 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Ooh, how do you lay the top part flat, Tippy? Mine leans back only so far and then stops. Do you need to lift it up or something?
Old 05-31-2004, 12:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I have a problem overcooking on the grill, especially chicken breasts. Mine doesn't have a temp control or timer. But it's great for turkey burgers and grilling vegetables! An easy way to clean the grill is to unplug it, then soak a double thickness of paper towels with white vinegar (or soapy water), and lay it on the still hot grill and close the lid. By the time you've eaten and are ready to clean up, the grill can basically be just wiped off and rinsed.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:46 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Ooh, I love that idea, Cottage! Thanks!!! I'm afraid to use the plastic thing on the grill when it is hot, so the stuff just congeals. Yuck!

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2004, 05:25 PM   #13  
Hot Stuff

Be careful scraping your grill with the plastic spatula. A friend ruined the non-stick finish on her grill doing that.

I let the grill cool, then use a nylon scrub pad, hot water, and dish soap. I sit the grill right on the edge of the sink to scrub it, and all the water runs into the sink. When it's clean, I just wipe it down with a wet papertowel to get the soap off, then dry it.

I have the rotisserie, too. It makes AMAZING chicken...better than Swiss Chalet! Also great for any other meat...roasts, fish, pork chops, hamburgers, shish kabobs, even hot dogs!
Old 05-31-2004, 06:18 PM   #14  
Livin' on the Beach

I use a double layer of wet paper towel. Put it on right when you turn it off and it steams off the crust..then just wipe it down.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:59 PM   #15  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hi hi!

I love my grill -- I think chicken gets a weird outer coating on it but I love grillling steaks and "burgers" on it! It's quick and easy and not so hard to clean.

Plus, I am not allowed to grill in my apartment/complex so it makes for a good substitute!
Closed Thread