Please tell me it gets easier!

• This is my second day on the beach. I'm hungry and my head is killing me. I've read prior posts about the headaches going away so I know that gets better.

I want to eat junk food so bad!! I'm going to bed early tonight cause when I'm sleeping I don't think of food.

Any suggestions on how to get through this?
  • Nicolee -

I was such a carboholic, I can't believe that anyone could have a tougher time with this than me.

The first week, I alternated between feeling sorry for myself & thinking I was going to die. (Dramatic, aren't I?)

It does get easier!! Thirty-five lbs. later, it is such a way of life for me now, that it is no longer a struggle.

I feel that this is due to the fact that I did Phase 1 by the book...no cheats. I didn't follow their meal plan, I did my own.

I have no cravings whatsoever.

You can do this...you owe it to yourself.

I think that the difficulty you have during Phase 1 is directly proportional to how out-of-control your diet is. As you struggle through these 2 weeks, think of how you are gaining control of your life.

Keep your eyes on the goal!

Good luck!
  • It does!
    Keep at it. Yes, it does get easier. The first week for me was the worst. If you can work through it you will feel better. I went to bed early more than once for the same reasons. Drink lots of water.

I haven't had sweets, but I've been in phase 2 for a few months and I'm back on phase 1 as of today. I'm headachy and kinda miserable right now. Not like it was in the very beginning, but I feel a bit yucky. I'm OK with that because I know it won't last. I'm just a little surprised that going without fruit would do that to me.
  • Hang in there, Amanda! You're detoxing from sugar. You should feel better in a few days, and your appetite will decrease.
  • It does get a lot easier. You may need to increase your portions if you are still hungry. I ate lots the first few days and still lost weight. You can cut back your portions as your appetite drops off but if you go hungry now you run the risk of binging out on junk food.

Hang in there, it gets easier and you will drop a lot of weight in these first few weeks.
  • It does get easier. I spent a lot of time in Phase I experimenting with new recipes. It kept me busy, and my taste buds were happy. Now in Phase II the challenge is socializing with people who are not on the Beach. People try to get me to eat potato skins, but I order mushrooms instead. I have no craving for potatoes, sugar, etc. I even looked at a bowl of tortilla chips without picking one up. The Phase I "detox" worked well for me. But I need substitutes sometimes, like for dessert. So I make sure I have something always at hand at home. Good luck!
  • These are all great suggestions, Amanda. Try to keep busy and have allowed foods on hand, but most of all, know you can do this.................Jo
  • I appreciate all the encouraging words. I know I can do this, I was just having a difficult time last night. I weighed this morning (I know I should only weigh weekly, but I was curious) and I've lost 1.8 pounds since Sunday and that was very encouraging for me.

I don't think about the junk food unless I've been around it. I ate dinner at my mom's last night and she had biscuits. Then I turned my head and saw Little Debbies!!! Luckily, I don't have any of that at my house.

I plan on adding more veggies to my diet, I know that will help keep me full.

This is a great forum and I'm so glad that I have people I can turn to when I'm having a weak moment!
  • Feel your pain!
    Hi, Amanda!

I totally know how you feel! I was really glad to read SB4Life's post--sometimes I feel just as down and depressed, but that just makes me realize how incredibly addicted I am to carbs! I miss the comfort of food, but when I start thinking about it, my rational self (thank God I have one!) kicks in and reminds me of all the things I can no longer do without pain and says, "What comfort???".

Amanda, I am now on Day 6 of Phase 1 and feel much better than I did just a couple days ago. Less headaches, less tired, less irritable, though my cravings have not gone away. I find that when I modify the planned menu in the book to things that I enjoy more, I have less cravings. For instance, instead of making Mahi Mahi the other night (I hate fish), I made the Taco Bake from the recipe forum on this site. It was wonderful and satisfied my love for Mexican food and beans! I actually was so satisfied and full (and happy) that I did not have any dessert! (that's a first for "Ms. eat a bowl of ice cream every night"! )

A couple people on here encouraged me to do some gardening this weekend to get my mind off food, and that did help a lot! While I was busy gardening, I was away from temptation and not thinking about food. If you have some active things you can do, they might be another way to keep yourself distracted (other than going to sleep early).

I wish you lots of luck, Amanda. We can do this!
  • LOL Beachgal, I've been working in my garden and around the house like a maniac since I started the diet. It really helps to keep busy if you can.