3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Anyone get cankers while on phase 1? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/40070-anyone-get-cankers-while-phase-1-a.html)

pikapuffie 05-01-2004 12:38 AM

Anyone get cankers while on phase 1?

might be an odd question but i got this huge canker and usually i develop them if i eat too much bad stuff like candy etc... but i also know that when the body is detoxing, sometimes you can get them. wondering if this is whats happening since i cut out all the bad stuff these past 2 weeks. hope so!!! :p

beachgal 05-03-2004 01:57 PM

I know I've heard of these before, but am not sure what they are. Can you explain more, pikapuffie?

sb4life 05-03-2004 02:24 PM

Canker sores (apthous ulcers) can be caused by different things, including physical injury (fork, dorito), stress, certain foods (tomatoes), poor nutrition, viruses or toothpaste. The ulcer is an inflammatory response on the mucous (mouth) membranes to the causative agent.

They are a nuisance, but not serious.

Evaluate your diet and see if there is anything that may be causing the irritation.

BTW, I don't really think that poor nutrition is the cause, unless your body is in starvation mode and you are in poor physical health. (Like those poor children in 3rd world countries).

Make sense? Let us know what you figure out.

pikapuffie 05-03-2004 02:30 PM

actually since SBD i've been eating more healthy! i get them every once in a while but usually after eating too much candy or something like that. or sometimes no reason at all. might not be linked to SBD at all. but i'd like to think its my body detoxing the bad stuff. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sb4life
Canker sores (apthous ulcers) can be caused by different things, including physical injury (fork, dorito), stress, certain foods (tomatoes), poor nutrition, viruses or toothpaste. The ulcer is an inflammatory response on the mucous (mouth) membranes to the causative agent.

They are a nuisance, but not serious.

Evaluate your diet and see if there is anything that may be causing the irritation.

BTW, I don't really think that poor nutrition is the cause, unless your body is in starvation mode and you are in poor physical health. (Like those poor children in 3rd world countries).

Make sense? Let us know what you figure out.

beachgal 05-03-2004 02:57 PM

So are cankers actual sores inside your mouth (like in your cheeks) or are they on your lips? I'm a bit confused, obviously. ;)

sb4life 05-03-2004 03:27 PM

Pikapuffie -

I don't think that your diet is to blame either...but, it could be a different food. Something that you are eating more of maybe? Or, it could be stress...even though you are eating healthier, the change in your diet could be the culprit. That could be the stressor.

If it isn't a physical injury, then we call it "idiopathic". Medical terminology for "I don't know"!

Hope that they feel better soon!

Beachgal - canker sores occur inside the mouth on the mucous membranes (the skin). The resulting sore is an area where the outer layer of skin is missing, resulting in pain. I had an ulceration once due to a drug allergy and I thought I was going to die! Cold sores occur on the lip, outside the mouth.

pikapuffie 05-03-2004 03:51 PM

hmm.. well who knows! the body can be weird! :lol:

beachgal, to add in about cankers. they are just white sores inside the mouth. mine is on my gum right now! :( they usualy go away by themselves after a week or so. if you don' t know what they are you probably never get them so yay for you. some ppl get the virus and get them for life and some ppl never get one in their whole lives! its very odd! just like come ppl can develop cold sores and some never do. (i just get cankers but no cold sores and i know some ppl are the opposite).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sb4life
Pikapuffie -

I don't think that your diet is to blame either...but, it could be a different food. Something that you are eating more of maybe? Or, it could be stress...even though you are eating healthier, the change in your diet could be the culprit. That could be the stressor.

If it isn't a physical injury, then we call it "idiopathic". Medical terminology for "I don't know"!

Hope that they feel better soon!

Beachgal - canker sores occur inside the mouth on the mucous membranes (the skin). The resulting sore is an area where the outer layer of skin is missing, resulting in pain. I had an ulceration once due to a drug allergy and I thought I was going to die! Cold sores occur on the lip, outside the mouth.

beachgal 05-03-2004 04:04 PM

Hey, you learn something new every day! :)

I get sores inside my mouth sometimes, usually from biting my cheek by accident or from eating something rough, like toast. I've never looked to see what color they were, though.

It sounds painful! I hope yours goes away soon! Can you use Anbesol? I know that used to help a lot when my molars came in!