South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 05:37 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Anheuser-Busch vs. Dr. Agatston

Interesting tidbit from today's news.

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Beer drinkers need not worry about the carbs, Anheuser-Busch said Thursday.

The brewing company issued a press release disputing claims advanced by The South Beach Diet author Dr. Arthur Agatston that beer is high in maltose, a form of sugar derived from barley malt.

"The notion that beer contains large amounts of carbohydrates is simply untrue," Dr. Sam Klein, director of the Center for Human Nutrition at Washington University School of Medicine, said in the written release.

"Furthermore, the carbohydrates in beer are not sugar. Basically all of the sugar is converted to alcohol during fermentation."

The South Beach diet plan doesn't bill itself as either "low-carb" or "low-fat." Rather, the diet distinguishes the "right carbs" and the "right fats" from their malevolent peers. Beer, the diet says, contains the wrong kind of carbs.

Anheuser-Busch says they have placed full-page ads in 31 national and local newspapers nationwide challenging Dr. Agatston's claims. The ads will run on April 23.
I wonder why they are only now bringing this up?
Old 04-22-2004, 05:42 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

What a load of bull! Just where exactly do they think men get those beer bellies from?!
Old 04-22-2004, 06:09 PM   #3  
it's always something

Actually, just last week I read about a study showing that non-beer drinkers were just as likely to have a "beer belly" as beer drinkers. I think the study was done in Sweden. I just did a search to see if I could find it. No luck there, but I did find something better!! http://www.beerbellywear.com/ Just in time for my brother's birthday
Old 04-22-2004, 06:22 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

I love the "No Salad" one.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:11 PM   #5  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Holy crap this is funny! It is true though that you don't have to be a beer drinker to get a beer belly. I know just as many men with beer belly's that drink beer as I know men with beer belly's that don't. And likewise, I know a ton of men who drink TONS of beer and they don't have any belly. I swear, my neighbor is probably in his mid to late 40's and he drinks 24/7 and probably has a 32" waist. This was a really cool link though my DH has a beer (keg) belly and I am gonna buy him the "no salads" shirt. He is not a beer drinker. Acid Reflux is the culprit there.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #6  

Great site!
Old 04-23-2004, 05:32 PM   #7  

I think the beer belly is just an excuse myself. A bit like having children. I lost all the pregnancy weight soon after I had my daughter but put it back on when I started eating those yummy homemade cakes and biscuts at those coffee mornings.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:01 PM   #8  
Member Florida Chick

Anheuser-Busch is probably just fighting because they are losing beer sales. How sad!!

Lizzie
Closed Thread