3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Menu ideas for Easter dinner? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/39079-menu-ideas-easter-dinner.html)

cottagebythesea 04-06-2004 09:26 PM

Menu ideas for Easter dinner?

Does anyone have some tasty side dish recipes for Easter dinner? I want to stay OP, but since it's a holiday I'd like to have something special. I'm going to make a fancy salad with greens, sliced almonds and dried cranberries in it, and for one of the desserts does anyone remember that "CoolWhip Yogurt Pie" that was so popular years back? I can get premade wholewheat pie crusts at a health food store here, but I can't remember how to make the filling. What will you be serving?

justjodi 04-07-2004 08:57 AM

i used to love the cool whip pie. i thik it is 1 container of coolwhip (i would use the free) and 1 container of yogurt of your choice and a little food color. whip it together pour in pie shell and freeze.

for one of my sides i will be making mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes.

wendyjo 04-07-2004 10:09 AM

Does the mashed cauli taste anything like mashed potatoes? I'm scared of it...........

justjodi 04-07-2004 10:14 AM

it is not bad really. i made some the other night for dinner to try it out and my kids even liked it. getting it to the consistencey of mashed potatoes is a little tough tho i used a hand masher and then the regular mixer to kind of whip it up but it didn't come together like i would of liked it to. i'll use the food processer on sunday and make it real creamy.

lmarah 04-07-2004 11:18 AM

My whole family seems to be going carb-free so we're focusing on fresh asparagus and a modified green bean casserole (green beans and low-fat cream cheese). We'll also be having a variety of cheeses and are making the pickle wraps (dill pickle with cream cheese, cheese & ham wrapped around) which are really good. One of my aunts is cutting up rolling steaks and cooking them with green peppers and onions. There are a LOT of us - about 50 coming to dinner - so we all make dishes but can't really afford to get too fancy.

cottagebythesea 04-07-2004 08:26 PM

Thanks, Jodi, for the recipe for the pie. I'm thinking if I make that I won't be tempted to eat the chocolate goodies, I hope. DH suggested mixing FF-SF chocolate pudding with CoolWhip, and freezing it. That sounds good, too.
Imarah, your pickle wraps sound intriguing. I'll have to give them a try.

I love the "cauliflower mashed potatoes" but DH doesn't like the texture of them, even when I puree them in the food processor, so they're out. Maybe I'll just mash some sweet potatoes with a little SmartBeat.

Thanks, again, for the suggestions.

beach-chick 04-08-2004 07:02 PM

When I make the califlower "mock potatoes" I add some cream cheese or sour cream, chives and red pepper flakes. Makes it so yummy!

cottagebythesea 04-09-2004 07:37 AM

Hey, Beach-chick, thanks for the link!