3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Low Carb Chocolate and sugar alcohols - gimic? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/38793-low-carb-chocolate-sugar-alcohols-gimic.html)

ButtBeGone 03-31-2004 03:26 PM

Low Carb Chocolate and sugar alcohols - gimic?

I know that SBD doens't recommend eating these low carb candy bars that seem to be showing up all over the place but I have given into temptation and tried them :eating2:. Actually, I have been trying quite a few of them.

This is the first that I have heard of sugar alcohols. Sounds like a gimic to get us to buy candy. It is certainly working on me!!!!

Does anyone have some information on sugar alcohols?

Who else have tried these things and what do you think?

GreatBigMonsterMomma 03-31-2004 03:33 PM

Sugar alcohols are not digested, so they don't contribute calories, from what I understand. They can stay in your stomach & cause gastrointestinal distress (read: diarrhea), so go light on them. They are mainly not recommended because of the GI issue. Mainly, check the calorie content. Lots of the low-carb candy bars actually have as many, if not more, calories than their normal counterparts. Of course, if that's what it takes to satisfy your sweet tooth without eating a ton of sugar, I say go for it. Just remember that moderation is always the key.

ButtBeGone 03-31-2004 03:41 PM

Thank you! I appreciate the info.

I've noticed some gastrointestinal distress but not enough to keep me away from the candy. It would really be the pits if it kicked in during my hour bus ride home from work...I'm sure I would stay away from it after that but then I might have to start driving myself also... :o :lol:

Ruthxxx 03-31-2004 04:22 PM

Gatrointestinal distress!!!!!! We have a lady in our midst! It's nice not to be alone! :lol3:

moonmirror 03-31-2004 04:54 PM

Buttbegone,

(snicker...your name again...gets me every time)

Just curious...can you lose pounds eating that stuff? It really feels like I'm backsliding when I eat that stuff...physically and mentally. Plus... I get the GI distress also (because I can't stop eating it, but that's no surprise, since when I ate the real thing I could never stop eating it either).

QuilterInVA 03-31-2004 05:05 PM

Even though this is sugar free, it could be keeping the carb cravings going.

GreatBigMonsterMomma 04-01-2004 02:37 AM

Quote:

Just curious...can you lose pounds eating that stuff?
IF it doesn't cause you uncontrollable carb cravings & IF you don't eat too much of it, you can make it part of your weight-loss strategy. Check the calories on the label. I don't, personally, have enough experience with them to remember any of the counts off the top of my head, but I know I have seen some "low-carb" candy bars that have 200+ calories! (I am hoping those are the exception to the rule.) Even one or two of those a day could seriously sabotage your efforts.

Really, moonmirror, if eating them makes you feel like you're backsliding, even only mentally, I'd stay away as much as possible. I'm personally familiar with the "Well, today is shot anyway, so I'll just eat whatever & get back on the diet tomorrow" frame of mind, and it isn't a good one. (I push myself to take it ONE MEAL at a time, but it's hard!)