South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #1  

Wink Switching from weight watchers to SBD

I'm starting today. I just finished reading the book this weekend and am convinced that I can do this, I'm really glad I found this site because I made the mistake of telling one of my weightwatcher buddies I was going on this plan and of course she side I would fail because its a diet but someone in my bellydance class lost a lot a weight and shes pleased and happy so I want to be at goal once and for all this year (I have 20-30 until goal) and I seems that I just haven't been able to break this plateue so thats the real reason for switching plans.
Are there anyother weightwatchers here?

Mel
Old 02-23-2004, 12:22 PM   #2  
A Lily from my yard!

Welcome Sweetmel to the beach! I am a former ww but did not leave it for this. But I did choose this over goin back to ww because I cannot and will not count points for the rest of my life. To me that is more of a diet than SB. It is not a diet to me it is a new way of eating. This should kick you back in to losing no problem. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2004, 12:47 PM   #3  

Welcome Sweetmel! I am a former WW person too. I can say this WOE is much more real than the WW plan. I have to agree with Bamiegurl; I did not wanta count points forever.I was looking for something that would teach me to eat real foods that I was custom to without getting hungry. I can say this really works!!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #4  

I am new to South Beach also. Today is my first day and I've been a WW person for at least 10 years now off and on and back and forth. I decided to give this a try. I'm concerned about it because I totally love love love my sweets and pastas and basically carbs. I feel too that is my downfall. I think if I find what works I will not have to keep going "off and on". It will just be a way of life - something I get used to. I am always craving sweets especially if I eat like a salad or something for lunch, then it's like I deserve something really good. That's pretty stupid!

Good luck to all and lets get thru this together - K?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:37 PM   #5  

Thanks guys! I just finished my lunch an hour ago and I feel good and not hungry.

Mel
Old 02-23-2004, 02:12 PM   #6  

I'm am also a member of ww. I can't seem to lose any weight with them in, fact I gained 10 pounds since joining. I'm also new to the beach. I started last Thursday and have lost 5 pounds since then. At WW's I was eating almost all of my points in Carbohydrates. As we all know that's not good for you. Hence the 10 pound gain. Hang in there and good luck!
Old 02-23-2004, 02:13 PM   #7  

Hello Sweetmel and welcome. I have a long history with WW. It's a good plan for allot of people but it wasn't working for me. I would lose about 10 pounds and then plateau. Now, granted, by then I was getting pretty board and wasn't following the plan the way that I should have. I started with SBD on January 18 and overall I have been very happy with it. I had a hard time getting over the idea that I didn't have to count everything that I put into my mouth but it really is such a relief. I feel that SBD is something that I can stick with. I still have my pigout days but I think, with this plan, I will finally be able to make my goal.

Good luck to you!
Old 02-23-2004, 03:04 PM   #8  

Hi,
This was the first diet that I have started in a long time. It really does work !!!

I started February 2nd at 178lbs and weighed in today at 166lbs.
We are taking a Carribean cruise leaving March 28th and i'm hoping to be at 160lbs by then.

Good luck!
Michelle
Old 02-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Mel, Aunt and Michelle!
Old 02-23-2004, 03:49 PM   #10  
Reeling Reverend

Welcome! I just finished writing a post about being a reformed WW-er. This WOE is so much better! There's not the liberal eating, like with WW, but WW is still stuck in the low-fat, high carb rationale. WW has changed it's tune COUNTLESS times over the years. Dr. A's plan is a good one that makes sense. Good luck!! There are GREAT resources on this board. There are many recipes to try and share, too.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:29 PM   #11  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the newbies....Mel,Aunt and Michelle this is a great place to be. You will love this way of eating, because it is really about that, eating the right things a lifestyle change opposed to a diet. Good luck girls.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #12  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

hello mel!

I am currently doing ww and SBD at the same time. I find that I am able to eat low carb and stay within my point range for the day but it does take some planning and work to make up meal plans.

BTW WW has introduced a lower carb eating plan to help jumpstart weight loss or to help people who have hit a plateau. You have the choice of two plans - one is higher carb and one is higher protein (lower carb). My friend is doing the carb one and it seems to be working for her. I am doing the low carb one since I tend to not react well with refined carbs and sugar . I feel a lot better doing it this way.

I have adapted my menu plans from the SBD book with a few changes since there are some things on the food list I can't stand and I am enjoying the recipes - can't wait until the cookbook comes out!

Good luck on on SBD
Old 02-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #13  

Really? Is that what the commercial is taking about? I dropped out before fast-trak now I'm curious.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #14  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

There is a new program called flexpoints which gives you a minimum amount of points to eat each day + 35 extra points to use during the week if you need them.

Ie. I have 22 to points to eat each day, if I eat 25 one day I can deduct them from my 35 flexpoints. It makes it easier to eat if you are a little hungrier one day or you can use them for a special meal, dinner out or party you are going to where you know you will end up eating extra points. Or you can decide to not use them at all. I find it much easier than the old point system

They give you these sheets as I mentioned in my last post so that you have a low carb option- they have menu charts so you can pick items for each day and they are set out in points so you don't even have to think about it. WW also gives you a fast track pamplet and a cd to help you along. I am finding the new program very helpful and I am still going to meetings for support, motivation and ideas even though I am doing SBD.

I like SBD as I am not a huge fan of potatoes or rice and I get headaches and nauseau when I eat too many carbs. I have already been converting to wholewheat pasta, wholegrain breads, and other wholegrain products which WW is now encouraging people to eat as an alternative to white flour products and I will implement them when I move on to Phase 2. WW seems to be going with the flow as far as giving people an alternative to the "low fat" diet and giving them a lower carb alternative.

I am currently doing Phase one as I blew it all at Christmas but I am back OP.
I have 4 weeks of SBD menus set up with my points counted out so I don't have to think about it each day. I prepare my lunch for work along with SBD snacks the night before and make sure to defrost what I am having for supper that night so I will not cave and order out or eat something off plan.

I am currently on day 3 and feel good about what I am eating and have not been hungry so far. My DH is also doing SBD along with me with the exception of his Friday office lunch which we are counting as his cheat day.

Hope that helps
Closed Thread