South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 06:25 PM   #1  
Imagine...

Lightbulb Salmon Recipes?

Ok so I bought some salmon...now what? Anyone know of a simple easy sauce? Should I bake it or pan cook? Please help, Thanks Oh yea and when it says skin side down, is it on top facing down or down on the bottom?

Last edited by sflake; 09-30-2003 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:05 PM   #2  
Work in Progress

A very simple way for salmon is to just spray some I can't believe its not butter, sprinkle fresh or dried dill and broil, serve with lemon.

This is my favorite Salmon dish. This is a great dish, and you can make it ahead of time. Works excellent at a dinner party, served with steamed asparagus, tomatos with buffalo mozarella and fresh basil drizzled in olive oil.

COLD STEAMED SALMON WITH CUCUMBER DILL SAUCE

2 1/2 lbs of salmon fillets (approx 1/2 lb per person)
1 cup non-fat yogurt
1/2 cup peeled, seeded cucumber grated
2 tbsp dill weed
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 pack sweetner

There are many ways to steam a fish. You can use your wok as a steamer. Cut the fillets into serving size pieces. Place
them in the already heated steamer. Cook for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove from the steamer and chill for at least 4 hours.
Yummy tip....add fresh lemon and tsp of dried dill to the water--yum

Take rest of ingredients, mix together and let sit for at least 4 hours...the longer it sits the better.

This is a Phase II reciepe because of the yogurt
Old 09-30-2003, 07:06 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Default Re: Salmon Recipes?

Quote:
Originally posted by sflake
Oh yea and when it says skin side down, is it on top facing down or down on the bottom?
Geez, Sflake, you were right when you said you couldn't cook.
I don't have any recipes for you, but I would say the skin should be on the bottom. But what do I know... I can't cook, either.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:08 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, look at that... Rowan posted at the same time as me.
Rowan, you're practically a gourmet!
Old 10-01-2003, 05:34 AM   #5  
Mous

Baked Salmon/Tuna Croquettes With Dill Sauce

MAKE IT SB FRIENDLY

Ingredients:

CROQUETTES

2.00 tb Oleo
1.00 tb Flour, all purpose
0.50 c Milk, low fat
1.00 cn Salmon/Tuna
1.00 c Zucchini, grated or yellow
2.00 tb Onion, minced
1.00 tb Lemon juice
1.00 ts Thyme, crushed
0.25 ts Pepper
0.50 c Buttermilk or low fat milk
1.00 Egg
1.50 c Cornflakes, crushed
0.33 c Parmesan or Romano cheese
; grated

DILL SAUCE

1.00 c Yogurt, low fat
0.33 c Cucumber, minced fine
0.50 ts Dill weed

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350^. In med. saucepan melt oleo and
stir in flour. Addmilk all at once. Cook stirring
until mixture thickens and bubbles. Cook for 2 min
more. Remove from heat. Atir in tuna, squash, lemon
juice, thyme, and pepper until well combined. Cover
and chill mixture for 30 min. Shape chilled mixturre
into 8 2" balls. In a shallow dish combine egg and
buttermilk. In another the crushed cornflakes and cheese. Coat
croquettes well with the buttermilk-egg mixture and
then the cornflakes. Spray a baking dish with non
stick spray and arrange croquettes on the sheet. Bake,
uncovered 30 min or until heat through. For dill sauce
combine yogurt, cucumber and dill. Serve sauce with
croquettes.

Cal 342 including 1/3 cup sauce per serving

ALTER RECIPE TO SUIT YUOR TASTE

M
Old 10-01-2003, 06:49 AM   #6  
Captain of MY Destiny!

sflake-I always use the KISS principal when cooking salmon (Keep It Simple Stupid!) We usually just brush a bit of olive oil over the meaty part (not the gray skin-that goes on the bottom) and sprinkle with whatever herb you like. Rosemary is yummy, but even just plain old pepper is good, too! Serve with lemon wedges! Good luck...let us know how it turns out!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:36 AM   #7  
Imagine...

Thanks gang, that will be tonights dinner. I will let ya know how it turns out. Maybe the lovely Ruth will move these to the recipe section for us My new thing is to try to improve my cooking skills by trying something new each week. I really appreciate the help.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:21 AM   #8  
Work in Progress

Franny--
Oh yum---rosemary and salmon, I have never tried it. I will do that the next time.

ellis, I LOVE to cook. Whenever it is someone's birthday, they call me up and say....we could go out for dinner...or and of course I offer to cook!!!

I do like to cook healthy things and that has been a blessing. My dream someday is to open a bed and breakfast that allows well mannered pet....to live someplace beautiful, get to write off my gardening expenses, cooking expenses and be around dogs and people all day.......that would be my dream....

Regarding the skin....buying it with the skin is usually considered a BBQ salmon, you put it on the skin side first and then turn it, I peel off the skin with a fork and then turn once to burn off the fish yuck that is there., you can cook it longer with the skin and it will not burn when you are grilling it...very handy

You can do the same thing by just sticking the fish, skin side up in the broiler and cooking it until it begins to crisp...you can just pull it off, that is what I recommend, it is not very attractive sitting on the plate, and it will turn some off to see the skin. But some leave the skin on anyhow...enjoy Salmon is full of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and are great for people who are dieting, and for our heart and overall health!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

Rowan - I want to come stay at your bed & breakfast! Please let me know when that dream comes true for you, and I'll make a trip. I complain to my DH often about the area of the country we live in and the kinds of foods you get when you go out to eat. I don't know of ANY restaurant that specializes in healthy cuisine. I could probably make a bundle if I opened something, but I can't cook for more than 2 or 3 at a time
Old 10-01-2003, 10:02 PM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Guess we all aagree - skin on the bottom.
Try the rosemary Salmon in the SBD book. We like that a lot. Good luck. Wating to hear how your dinner turned out. Lizzie
Old 10-02-2003, 05:41 AM   #11  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Rowan, great tip about getting the skin off the salmon! I am one that doesn't like to see it on my plate!

DH and I both really like fish and seafood, but did not grow up eating it. So we have both had to learn how to cook it. He is forever trying new combos...some good...some not so good....

But I have a DH who likes to cook, so I NEVER complain. We enjoy the time we spend together in the kitchen, and he has be extremely supportive of my new WOE.

I think we would probably entertain a lot if I worked a normal schedule. Working nights tends to put a damper on your social life!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:56 PM   #12  
Work in Progress

Leslie!
Thanks, I will invite everyone if that comes into fruition!!!

BBB--Bailey's Bed n Breakfast
Closed Thread