South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #1  

Default Um......am I suppose to gain weight?

Ok I started this diet yesterday and have gained one pound. I decided to try this instead of my 500 calorie a day diet. I thought the SBD would be a good way to come off of this diet and still lose but I'm feeling really discouraged now.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:27 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Whoa! 500 calories a day? What are you trying to do, girl? Your body has gone into starvation mode. You need 1200 to 1500 calories per day to just function!
Could we have a bit more info so we can help you?
Please post what you ate for Day 1 of SBD. It would also be good to know what you need to lose.
Please post more.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:34 PM   #3  
Mous

500 is way too little calories.

So if you are increasing the calories you will gain till you stable yourself.
The weight WILL come off.

YOU HAVE TO EAT TO LOSE.

Please do as Ruth asked.

We are worried about you and your health.

Lady
Old 09-30-2003, 02:45 PM   #4  

Default Maybe I didn't fallow it exactly right

breakfast:
nothing
lunch:
chicken salad
I did eat it with ranch dressing I'm really confused on the dressing thing
dinner:
lamb and salad
I know I read that olive oil dressing is ok so that's what I put on the salad
snacks: pistachios and low fat cheese stick
Yes I know I was starving myself but it seemed to me like the fastest way to lose.
I am morbidly obese with a BMI of 48 or so. I am around 271 pounds and only 5'3". I'm so tired of being fat and will try anything no matter what it takes.
I am very confused, do I need to buy the book or not? Do I need to eat exactly what the meal plans in the book say or can it be modified with in the rules of phase one. I ordered the book on CD to listen to it. I really have little time to read with all the reading I do for school.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:57 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The menus in the book are just suggestions. You can chose what you want frojm the Phase I list. See the Frequently Asked Questions section in this South Beach Forum.

Starving yourself is NOT the way to lose and will screw up your metabolism badly. It can also mess up your reproductive functioning and you may want kids one day.

So....how about eating the South Beach way for a week and see what happens? You should feel better and the weight will start to drop once your poor body recovers from starvation!

When did you last get a physical? It might be an idea in case there are any health factors involved.

Big hugs to you.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:12 PM   #6  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Hi, Happiegirl!

What Ruth and Marcie says is very true. Do read the book, get a physical, and try SBD for a week. Try writing down the foods you eat and how you feel. Nothing elaborate, but it helps.

This is really a healthy WOE and one I hope you will join.
We're all here rooting for you!

Good Luck!
Old 09-30-2003, 03:27 PM   #7  
Imagine...

The fastest way to lose weight is not the lasting way. We have all lost & gained on crazy fad diets. The weight did not appear overnight and will not go away overnight. Skipping breakfast is the worst thing you can do. Try a little V8 juice and maybe a hard boiled egg or a cheese stick in the morning. The book is very helpful as it explains the whys of the plan. You took the first step by posting here so why not get the book and try it. You can do this! We are all here for the same reason and are very supportive
Old 09-30-2003, 05:15 PM   #8  

DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF EVERYDAY!!! There are normal variations in weight. Once a week is plenty. It has been proven that breakfast skippers don't lose as well as those who eat it. For maximum metabolism, 6 small meals are the best way to go. I weighed more than you and I lost it by eating!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:36 PM   #9  

Hi Happiegirl

i can only echo what the others are saying - you gotta eat to lose -

i know it seems unbelieveble but true - and having breakfast (especially of protein) is a great kickstart to your day - I can TOTALLY sympathize with your frustration - I am only 5 tall and started SBD two weeks ago at 251 pds - when I weighed in this last Saturday I was 234 ... imagine my shock when I discovered I lost 17 pds in 11 days and had been eating 5 times a day as was always full - I have to admit I followed the book for the first 14 days to the letter ... I was to scared to try and do things on my own - and I despise breakfast...especially eggs ---- but after the 5th day I was able to get them down a lot easier (of course drinking 32oz of water with them helped me.- this was also about the same time I returned to a normal mood the first few days I was a complete ... - I KNOW it is so tempting to get on the scale daily when dieting - I had to have my fi take the scale away because I was getting obsessive and jumping on it morning noon and night - you can do this but you have to eat ... please feel free to email /pm me if you want to vent - I know you can do this!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:21 PM   #10  

Default Thanks so much

Ok well I fallowed it alot better today. Something very strange happened to me today. I was thirst really thirsty. I drank and drank water and it wasn't hard at all. Normally I have to force myself. I think this is very positive for me. So whatever it is it must be good. I am getting the book on CD in the mail so I think that will help. I think I am going to try to get the cook book when it comes out too. Thanks to all of you. I think I will be ok. NO more starving.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:32 AM   #11  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Happiegirl, I'm so glad you decided to stop starving yourself! You can do SO much damage both in the short term and the long term by denying your body the calories it needs to just get through the day.

You have already been given a lot of good advice by my wise fellow chicksters! I would like to add that the scale is not the best way to check your progress. I did an experiment a couple of months ago: I weighed myself several times a day, and wrote it down. I did this for a week. You wouldn't believe how much difference the scale showed from one day to the next and even from morning to afternoon to evening! My weight went up and down by 5 pounds on a daily basis! So please don't get too hung up on what the scale says!

I recently read that the quickest way to lose way is slow and steady. By changing your habits slowly you give your mind and body a change to get used to doing things differently. By taking baby steps towards a healthier lifestyle you are insuring that the weight you lose will STAY lost!

Give yourself a chance to get used to this....your body will thank you in the LONG RUN...you might see changes right away, but you MIGHT NOT! Just keep your eye on the prize, okay? And keep drinking that water!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

I have to admit when I saw "500 calorie" diet I almost fell off of my chair. I sometimes eat 500 in a single meal!!!

happiegirl, it's so nice to have you aboard! 3FC has been a wonderful place for me to go for advice and encouragement, and I hope you find the same thing!

Welcome!
Old 10-03-2003, 11:55 PM   #13  

Default well I'm still not losing

I've been sticking to this diet but still not losing anything. I guess it's my own fault. At least I'm not gaining that's a good thing. I feel really discouraged but oh well. I guess I will stick to it I know if I go back to eating how I did before I will gain. Maybe I should just stay off the scale but I can't.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:22 AM   #14  
Mous

REMEMBER

Health is our goal weight loss is our gift

Lady
Old 10-04-2003, 07:51 AM   #15  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Happiegirl, when i get scale "crazy" I take the batteries out of my scale! I used to just hide it away in the closet before I had one with batteries! You have to look at other measures of success...what we lovingly call "non scale victories!" or NSVs.

At first I would recommend you focus on behavior and not on the scale, tape measure, or seeing the results...yet! Are you eating on plan? Are you trying to be a bit more active? Are you drinking your water? Anything you do for yourself should be considered a victory! Good luck!
Closed Thread