South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 206/173.8/140

Still treading water here. Not much news to report on the diet/weight loss front. On top of the other things swirling around here, now I am having some issues with jaw/tooth pain again. It may be stress related since the teeth seem fine. Ugh. I am going to try a new style mouth guard at night and see if that helps. If not, it will be back to the dentist to see what she can do for me. I know that she will be able to make a custom mouth guard but it's over $500, so I'll try the over the counter one first.

Muffin, so good to see you! I understand perfectly about taking a social media break. I sometimes just have to skip all the news for a few days, too. The stress is too much. I can only imagine how much stuff is swirling around where you live these days. And with the boys just getting back to the school routine and all, I think maintenance is a very positive thing! Although for some reason, I always hope that there will be a loss when I get on the scale, even when I know that there is no chance when I haven't been diligent, but I still hope, LOL!
MJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 225/214/160

Height: 5'5

MJMS, I'm really sorry to hear you are still having issues with your jaw. I do hope your over-the-counter mouthguard work. Do you grind your teeth? I do while I sleep and I also noticed that when I'm stressed out I do it during the day.

Another thing that could be causing your jaw pain is TMJ, sinus congestion, and trigeminal neuralgia. Years ago I started to have jaw pain and I dealt with it for about 4 years. I went to many dentists and orthodontics and they found nothing. I had work done on one of my bottom molars and ended up with a crown. Two years ago the pain got very bad and I went to ER where they referred to a neurosurgeon for trigeminal neuralgia. The neurosurgeon found nothing so he referred me to an ENT for TMJ. The ENT found nothing either so I was sent home with anti-inflammatory meds. Six months later I went for my regular teeth cleaning and I mentioned the pain to my hygenist and she did a deep X-ray and found out that I had a micro-crack on the molar that I had the crown. I ended up having a root canal on that molar and since then I haven't had a single episode of jaw pain.

My husband has TMJ and when he chews on hard stuff sometimes his jaws get out of place and he said that is very painful. For that, he takes anti-inflammatory meds and avoids hard and very crunch foods. He was also recommended a mouth guard but he doesn't want to pay $800. When he gets sinus congestion or ear infections his jaw also hurts a lot due to the inflammation.
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #63  

C'est génial.
Bouba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #64  

Thanks for sharing your experiences with jaw pain, Muffin! I have an appointment for tomorrow with the dentist. I have the feeling that when I am sound asleep that I am clenching, but I want to make sure that there is nothing else going on. I also think that I may be having some lingering nerve effects after all the needles and such from having the crowns put in. The different night guard seemed to have worked a little better. There is less pain today, so maybe a guard crafted by the dentist will be the way to go. I hate the cost and the dentist visit, but I hate the pain more! Diet-wise -- ugh! Maybe tomorrow will be better...

I hope that things are going well for you, Muffin! I hope that Lisaward is doing well, too. Today it's off to the eye doctor for DH's one week check-up. He seems to be doing great so hopefully his doctor agrees. Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!
Old 09-10-2021, 08:29 AM   #65  

TGIF on September 10, 2021!
Waahhh! I haven't been weighing and today I finally got back on the scale. Up 2 pounds. Ouch! Well, that is good information that I need to start acting on, right? There may be a little water weight there, too, so it may be a little lower when I get my sodium intake under control. Things are going better here. Hubby had a great visit to the eye doctor for his post-op check up. They do the other cataract next week. The dentist is 99% sure that I am clenching at night and causing my own pain. They are making a mouth guard for me to wear at night since the over the counter one I had tried a couple of days ago had helped and x-rays and such revealed nothing else going on. She said it can take up to a couple of weeks for the inflammation to settle back down after you have given yourself a good bout of stress in the jaw. Makes sense to me and hopefully the mouth guard and working on the stress in my life will heal the situation. Today I will work on getting my water and getting some movement to help the general stress. Have to be grateful for the good stuff in life, right?

Muffin, I hope your days are settling into a nice routine for you with the boys in school. Although I remember how hectic the after school hours and weekends were teenagers! Not to mention being always feeling like I was cooking or heading to the grocery store. I don't know how you do as well as you do living with teenage boy eating machines! How is your weather now? We are getting back to the high 80's and low 90's here but the nights have been cooling off. We had another terrific rain storm last night, too. It might have been the remnants of one of Larry or Mindy, but I am not sure.

Welcome to anyone reading and feel free to post about your journey on the South Beach Diet, no matter which version you are following: The South Beach Diet, South Beach Supercharged or South Beach Keto. We would love the support! Have a wonderful Friday!
Old 09-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #66  

Good morning! Another hot and humid morning here, and we are supposed to get thunderstorms this evening.

My sister gave birth to a beautiful baby boy yesterday She was 3 weeks early and the baby was only 5lbs so not sure when she is going home. She is in Colombia S.A. so not sure how things are done there. I'm happy that she and the baby are ok. DH and I are having a lunch date today and he is taking me to a Puerto Rican place and by looking at their menu, I don't think I will be able to eat on plan but will do my best

MJMS- I'm so happy to hear that your husband is healing well. I do hope your jaw inflammation goes away soon and the mouth guard does the job. It is crazy around here but I'm getting used to it again.

I hope you have a great Friday!
Old 09-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #67  

Muffin, congratulations on your new nephew! How wonderful! I hope you sister and the baby continue to do well. Puerto Rican food can be so challenging! So delish but can be heavy on the sodium and the calories. It's great to have a date with your hubby, though!

Not much new here. The hubby is healing well and the jaw pain is getting better with the over the counter mouth guard and the ibuprofen regimen the doctor recommended. I think it will be even better when the dentist made guard comes in and I start using it. I didn't weigh today, but I am pretty sure I am treading water weight-wise. I got a nice walk in yesterday and hope to get some more walking in today. We are heading into the low 90's and humid again this week. What happened to my nice cooler fall temperatures?!?! Oh, well. They are coming and I need to remember these days next January!

Everyone have a wonderful Sunday! Jump in and chat with us, if you are lurking!
Old 09-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #68  

Good morning! I weigh-in this morning and I'm 2.2lbs I shouldn't be surprised because my diet this past week hasn't been too good. I need to have a serious conversation with myself and figure out what is really important to me. For the last 3 months, all I have done is losing and gaining the same 2 to 5lbs and I feel like I'm stuck. I need to make some serious changes to my diet and stick to it. I need to keep reminding myself that I'm doing this for a better and healthier life. NO MORE EXCUSES.

Today, I will be doing some meal planning for the rest of the week and hopefully, I will be able to do some meal prep too.

MJMS- We don't get real Fall temperatures here in Orlando, but I can't wait for those cooler morning days. I'm glad you and your husband are doing better.

My Goals For This Week:
  • 10K steps
  • At least 2 veggies with each meal
  • no sweets
  • morning walk
  • 10mins meditation
  • IF 16:8
  • read 10 pages
  • 100oz of water

I know this week is going to be great!

Last edited by Muffin; 09-13-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #69  

Weigh in was no better over here, Muffin! But, you have a great set of goals and a plan for getting on track. Good for you! I know you can do it! Sometimes it seems that things just need to click in the diet world and I be this is your click! No I have to find my motivation and join you! I've got 2 1/2 weeks to finish out September with a loss, so I better get on it!
Old 09-14-2021, 06:43 AM   #70  

Good morning, Happy Tuesday!
I'm going for my morning walk in a few minutes. It looks like today is going to be very humid, and I can feel it. We are supposed to have thunderstorms this afternoon, so I think I'm going to the grocery shop tomorrow morning.
Today, after my walk I need to do some cleaning upstairs and probably sweep downstairs. I also need to schedule a donation pick-up and work on my journal.

MJMS- thank you I do have all the intentions, we'll see at the end of the week. We still have time to finish this month with a loss, we can do it! What are you having for diner today? I'm having mahi-mahi and stir fry veggies.

Have a great day!
Old 09-15-2021, 06:11 AM   #71  

Happy Wednesday!

MJMS- how are you doing?

I'm still struggling with my diet but I'm not giving up. Today is a new day and full of possibilities right now I'm just drinking a cup of coffee while boys get ready for school. In about an hour I will be heading out for my 1-mile walk. Today is another day of cleaning and I also have a groomer appointment, poor dog needs trimming badly. DS1 is staying after school for Orchestra rehearsal, so I might go grocery shopping while I wait for him.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old 09-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #72  

Good Morning! No scale again today, but I don't expect particularly good news from it anyway. I am still treading water diet-wise here. Today I go back to the dentist to get my mouth guard. I am hopeful that it will help a lot. Even the over the counter one has been helpful. Tomorrow is my husband's second cataract surgery. The first one two weeks ago went really well, so this one should as well, I think. I just can't seem to wrap my head around dieting until some of this is behind me. And the exercise has not been good either. I'll shoot for a regroup on Friday or Monday at the latest!

Muffin, you have such busy days, no wonder it is hard to plan and stick to planned eating! And you have those two teenage eating machines to contend with. That's a big challenge right there! I am so glad that you are not giving up! Your health and how you feel about yourself is so worth it! Baby steps will get you there! Ice cream is so seductive. Sweet, creamy and cold when it's so hot outside. Thank goodness it is gone now, right? You can do this!
Old 09-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #73  

MJMS- I'm pretty sure the new mouthguard is going to work great for you. Your husband is going to do great tomorrow and I'm pretty sure healing is going to be good too, he has a very dedicated wife to take care of him.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #74  

Still didn't weigh in today, but I think a visit to Phase 1 again is in my future! Hubby's second cataract surgery went well and now it's back to the drops 4 times a day, but now in both eyes. They are not bad, just an inconvenience for the next month. My mouth guard was a little weird feeling. It feels very tight but the dentist said to give it a try, so I will. I woke up once clenching really hard but I didn't wake up this morning with the ear and jaw pain, so I guess it is working. Yay!

Muffin, I hope you are having a good day today! We are joining you with the hot and humid weather this week. But the nights are cooling off in between, so I guess we are heading into fall. Good for you for getting out early in the morning for you walks before it gets too hot! I should follow your good example! I will soon, I think.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #75  

No weigh in again today. That's not a good pattern for me to get into. Tomorrow I MUST face the scale and get on with eating healthy, drinking water and moving! It's going to be a beautiful day today here. And we are heading into a week of nice temps in the mid 70's or so. I am looking forward to it.

I was just reading the email from Kalyn's Kitchen and she was talking about Monkfruit sweetener. I have never used it. Has anybody reading this ever used it? How did it taste to you? Did it sit okay on your stomach or did it give you indigestion like sugar alcohols can? I usually use a little Splenda in my coffee and iced tea and occasionally drink a sweetened water with Splenda. I don't do much baking or cooking with artificial sweeteners, though. I'd love if someone would share their experiences with me.

Muffin, I hope you are having a great weekend! September sure is going by quickly. Hi to everyone else reading and feel free to jump in and say hello!

Tags
weightlossmotivation