South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 10:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

Question SBD and Teens?

My 12 yr old SIL saw my SBD book and decided (with her mother's permission) to go on it. She's been on it a week and feels really bad. She started her monthlies this month, so we both did research to see if her periods could be causing her to feel full after one bite of food--and feel really hungry the rest of the time. I couldn't find anything. I assume that it could be the SBD.

I ask you guys...did you have symptoms like this? In one week, she did drop one pant size, but she just feels really bad. She thinks she's going to just stop the SBD and walk with me.

What do you all think?
Old 08-23-2003, 12:10 PM   #2  
In Control: E+R=O

This is a tough question to answer. Since she's so young, there are a lot of things to consider. How overweight is she? At this age, she is growing and her body is going through a lot of changes, and I don't think she should be restricting herself from eating healthy carbs. Maybe she could start in Phase 2 instead of the more restrictive Phase 1 if she really wants to follow SBD. Possibly the best course of action for her is to just eliminate sugar, junk food, sodas, etc and stick with healthy food choices, and to increase her activity (walking is an excellent idea!).

These are just my opinions, but I'm no expert. I think the best thing for her to do if she really does need to lose weight is to visit with her doctor about a healthy way to do that without impacting her growing and changing body.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:17 PM   #3  

To answer your question, she is the same height as me (5' 4) and she and I wear the same size (18). I weigh 189. I can't imagine her weighing much more or less than me.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:35 PM   #4  

Here's a Q & A from a recent Dr. A. Chat which might be useful.
He recommends children and teens to start on phase 2.

1794041: Dr. Agatston, Is your diet or should I say the way of eating appropriate for children?

Dr__Agatston: Generally, yes, the principles of the diet -- healthy fats and healthy carbohydrates -- are ideal for children, and would help prevent the current epidemic othatesity that we're seeing in our teenagers and preteens, even leading to diabetes.

Dr__Agatston: It is important that children get enough calcium through dairy products for growing bones. We do have guidelines from our nutritionist on the website. I would recommend that preteens and early teens begin on Phase 2.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:47 PM   #5  

It helps a great deal, thank you!
Closed Thread