Question about water retention

• Since being on the SBD, I've noticed that my body isn't retaining water as much. I remember that when we started the SBD, I used the bathroom a lot. What is it about this diet that causes that??
  • Personally, I tend to retain fluid easily. Highly sensitive to sodium and preservatives, but I do notice that I retain fluid when I eat alot of carbs. So this week when I began phase II and added a few carbs, I've also added 2 lbs. I'm sure my body is just holding fluid from the carbs so I'm not panicking.

I drink hot water with lemon juice (either fresh or the Minute Maid that you get in the frozen juice section - NOT ReaLeamon Brand because of preservatives) and a little splenda a couple times a day and it helps alot.
  • I have read that Insulin causes water retention. Lots of carbs = lots of Insulin = water retention.
  • The only time that I pee alot , is when I am on my period
    Sorry for the TMI
  • Protein works like a diuretic which is why it is essential to drink a lot of water on higher protein diets. Carbs, on the other hand, are like little sponges. They absorb fluid. Of course it's a lot more technical than this, but this is the gist.