Cookbook Recommendation!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I wanted to share a great cookbook I found that seems to fit the SBD WOE to a "T"!

LOW-CARB MEALS IN MINUTES, by Linda Gassenheimer

The book is even divided into sections: Quick Start and Which Carbs that equate to Phase 1 and Phase 2.

The recipes are for entire meals as varied as "Pacific Rim Pork with Ginger-garlic Stir-fry Vegetables and Pickled Daikon Radish Salad" and "Sirloin Burger and Fresh Slaw."

The format is really helpful as it gives hints, a countdown, and a shopping list for each recipe. You can pick and choose the recipes that sound good from each meal, too. I really like the breakfast ideas...most contain eggs but with a wide variety of other ingredients and ways to fix them!

Anyway, just wanted to share my favorite new cookbook! What is your current fav?
  • I love to cook and try NEW things.
    TY for doing this for us.
    As to FV's, I am my most favorite COOK...book! Giggle, giggle

Lady
  • Franny,
    Thanks for the cookbook suggestion. I will check it out

The last cookbook that I bought was "The Good Carb Cookbook: Secrets of Eating Low on the Glycemic Index" by Sandra Woodruff, M.S., R.D. One third of the book has info on low GI foods, tips on such things as shopping, eating out, eating solutions, etc.
    This week I want to try the Greek Grilled Shrimp Salad.

Any other cookbook suggestions out there ?
  • I have been thinking of getting that Good Carbs cookbook. Tell me more about it? Are the recipes complicated? I work until 6:00 p.m. and by the time I get home I don't have time to do elaborated meals. I like to cook in 30 minutes to 1 hour tops.
  • Thanks Franny ... I was going to look for a new cookbook this weekend ... sounds good!!!
  • hey Franny~~I just ordered the Low Carb Meals... and More Low carb Meals... (2 vol set) for $1.00 as part of the book club offer at www.thegoodcook.com
    You can pick 4 books for $1 each (plus S&H) and agree to buy 2 more books in one year.
    I also bought The Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook, Cooking Light 2003 and The Greek Cook as my 4 choices.

Annie~~The recipes in the Good Carb Cookbook are not too complicated. Some are very easy and a few others will take some time, not alot of complicated ingredients and a wide variety to choose from. Downside: no pictures.
  • Franny, great idea... thank you!
    What I need right now is an interesting suggestion for a potroast. Mom is staying with us this week while Dad has his surgery, and I don't know how to cook. Don't ask me WHY I took out a potroast!
  • Ellis, pot roast, hmmmm? I am trying to think of an easy, tasty way to fix one that doesn't have to have potatoes and carrots in it. I'll put my thinking cap on while I exercise and see what I can come up with.

Calling all cooks..Ellis needs help!
  • Calling all cooks....that leaves me out, sorry.
  • Damn... I knew I shouldn't have taken that thing out of the deep freeze, Franny! Everyone here is either too hot to think of pot roasts and/or can't cook! Maybe I can throw it into the crock pot with something... red wine. mushrooms. Oh, who knows... I can't even ask my Mother... SHE can't cook, either!!
  • HELLO FROM THE SUGAR BUSTER'S CORNER OF THE BOARD!

If y'all haven't seen or bought the new 500 LOW CARB RECIPES
    by Dana Carpender....GET IT...

It's wonderful easy to follow and has the BEST things in it.....

BOB
  • Ellis, okay, I admit it...I wasn't thinking about pot roast when I was working out! I was thinking "Am I there yet?"

I think your idea of the crock pot is perfect....

I would brown the roast in a bit of olive oil in a dutch oven or skillet, add to the crockpot along with a ton of sliced onions, a bunch of sliced mushrooms, a couple of cloves of crushed garlic, black pepper, and a bay leaf or two. Pour about a cup of red wine over the whole mess and let the crockpot do it's thing! You could also add a small can of crushed tomatos and some oregano for an Italian flair.

Now you just have to figure out what to serve it with!? Maybe a beautiful salad and some steamed green beans? Just as long as it isn't crusty bread or noodles!

I'm sure it will turn out great!
  • Ellis,
    Add a bug bunch of fresh green beans to that pot roast. That and frannys recipe and you will have a beautifull meal. I'm so excited that I have both of the cookbooks. I will have to look for the 500 low carb recipe book. ..........Julie
  • Oh, Franny and Glinda... I'm so grateful to you I could just cry. That's EXACTLY what I'm going to do. And I'm going to use Ruth's wonderful French beans from her garden!
    Thank you, darlings...
  • Thanks ladies for the cookbook ideas! I want to buy a couple of cookbooks that will work with my new WOL, and these suggestions are just what I needed!!