off topic...vein treatment

• have any of you had vein treatment done for varicose veins/spider veins?
    I'm thinking of having it done and want to hear from those who have.
    I have varicose veins that have been bothering me, throbbing etc.

1. What type of treatment?
    2. Cost?
    3. Did insurance cover any of it?
    4. Are you happy with the results?

Thanks,
    Di
  • Mom just had spider veins removed from her face, and was very happy with the results. She's going to go back to have them removed from her ankles. They used a laser treatment to blast them. She said it did sting while they did it, but the pain went away quickly. She had the air conditioner blasting her face all the way home to help.

It took about 15 minutes and I can't remember if she said it was $150 or $300. I don't think insurance covered it.
  • Di,
    I'm going to be getting some lazer treatments done soon on my varicose veins. The doctor said that they have some trouble getting the insurance companies to cover it but that they keep at it, so I guess they will if the dr. is persistent. I would try to find one that will work for you to get it paid. I had one stripped once and it wasn't very uncomfortable but haven't had lazer yet so I can't tell you about it yet. I think I'm going to be getting it done next Wednesday.I had an ultrasound done on my veins this week to see if I was a good candidate for the treatment and I know the tech said that I had some reflux which means some blockage so I assume that the dr will do it. I've had hundreds(not exagerating) of injections done on my spider veins over the years.It used to be covered by insurance, but in the last few yrs,they changed that and won't pay for it now. The injections do hurt for a few minutes but I found that if I took some Tylenol or something like that ahead of time, it was easier to take.The medicine stings as it goes in.I really need both done so I'll have to pay for the spiders myself. Let me know how you do if you have it done and if you want, I'll get back with you next week about how it went with me.
  • Thanks Suzanne & Dove....

I know that I'm probably going to have a hard time getting the insurance to cover the laser treatment. Although I think it's medically necessary due to cramping itching bulging varicose veins. It's also caused me mental stress cuz I won't wear anything that goes above my calves, my legs are so gross.

As far as spider veins go, I know I'll have to pay for those, but the varicose will be approx $3500 per leg to do along with post op costs....Yikes!!

Dove, let me know how it goes....

Thanks,
    Di