3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   From Atkins To Sbd (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/30271-atkins-sbd.html)

Su47 08-06-2003 09:26 PM

From Atkins To Sbd

Well here I go again another Monday another diet. I tried the Atkins for two months but became discouraged when I stalled. The SBD seems to promote healthier eating and more variety. Can anyone tell me why caffiene is discouraged on the diet? Also I am starting phase I over because I ate chocolate and everything went downhill. Do you know if you can incorporate some of the Atkins principles with SBD? Help:lol:

2BFIT1 08-07-2003 08:07 AM

Hi Su and welcome to the beach :wave:
Join us on the daily threads.

To answer some of your questions: caffeine stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin and we want to keep these foods to a minimum. That's why we try to eat low-glycemic index foods. (56-57 in the book).

As far as following some Atkins principles, I guess that would be one of them. other than that, I don't see that the two plans are the same. Remember that SBD is a low fat/low carb whereas Atkins is high fat/low, low, low carbs.

Happy Beaching :cool:

ellis 08-07-2003 11:09 AM

I probably shouldn't say this, but I continued to drink coffee on Phase I. Two cups a day with skim milk. It's one of my few perks. Okay, now that I'm on this diet, it's my ONLY perk!! :D

sflake 08-07-2003 12:03 PM

Ellis~ me too with FF half & half no less... I refuse to give up my am coffee. hehehe

Dreamweaver115 08-07-2003 12:19 PM

I believe this was mentioned in the book. Something about Phase 1 having enough restrictions, so go ahead and have your coffee if you want.

This is my 4th day. I have been having my morning java fix. And I am losing, losing, losing.

locarbs4me 08-07-2003 12:54 PM

NO ONE could stand to be around me if I didn't have my morning coffee - trust me!

Ruthxxx 08-07-2003 12:59 PM

I have coffee too. This Dr A says to go ahead and drink it if it doesn't affect you adversely.

2BFIT1 08-07-2003 01:33 PM

Hello, my name is Sil and I am a coffee bean addict:smug:

ellis 08-07-2003 01:58 PM

You should see the coffee I use. I buy it in bulk from a Middle Eastern bakery. (they also make the best pita bread in town)
The beans are black and oily, and oh-so-good! :D
I wish you could all come and sit on my verandah with me and have coffee in the morning. :grouphug:

2BFIT1 08-07-2003 03:23 PM

Ellis, I'll be there tomorrow, OK?:cheers: (Hey, we need a coffee mug icon ! )

ellis 08-07-2003 05:08 PM

If only you weren't so far away, Sil... you could come and see Ruth, too! She's as weird in real life as she is on the threads.

bradydave 08-08-2003 07:35 AM

Wha??? She didn't respond to that?

gofishin50 08-08-2003 04:30 PM

WELCOME SU47!!

:wave: I'm a 3 cup in the am kind of girl,very large mugs,,,dropping weight like flies,,Have a cup on me........GOFISHIN:dancer:

frannymae 08-08-2003 08:50 PM

mmmmm...French Roast......mmmmm

Ellis...it sounds like a little bit of heaven...great coffee....great company....

I drink mostly de-caf but have for a while. We use whole bean and grind as we brew....wonderful.

I like flavored coffees, too. My favorite is French Vanilla....anyone else have a fave?