South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 05:57 AM   #1  
cranky & determined

Thumbs down Chicks on the Beach, Wednesday, July 16th

Goood Morning Beach Chicks!

We're getting HHH weather again although there was a nice breeze when I took Max out. I'm in P2 with trepidation - added those great blueberries yesterday and some whole grain bread BUT I think I added too much bread. I need to keep that intake down to just the morning, I think.

How are you doing? Welcome to all the new chicks on the Beach - you'll love it here - lots of good support and info.

I'm taking a Pilates mat class this morning and it's time to get going.... I'll check in again later.

Have a great day on the Beach, Chicks!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:04 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning, Beach Babes. Does anybody but me feel like Pamela Anderson?

I stuck to my plan really well yesterday until BBQ time. No plates, no salad, just burgers and dog on buns on a napkin! Oy! I did eat one bun but passed up the huge raisin oatmeal cookies someone had made. I took along a watermelon which was a huge but messy hit with kids and adults both but managed to avoid eating a slice. The minimal leftovers and rinds went to Karen's pigs. We got tons of work done at the Fairgrounds with our old-fashioned country work bee. We even fixed the flagpole which constantly flew the Maple Leaf at half mast! People used to ask me "Who died?" and I always said "Somebody did"!

Well, today is a new day. I am going out for early coffee with my summer pal Sue who hails from Rochester, NY and then will do some more weeding or deadheading. Does it ever end? Only in Winter!

Have a wonderful day on The Beach and don't forget your water.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:47 AM   #3  
Big Looser Wannabe

Smile Good morning Friends!

It's another beautiful day....perfect for hitting the Beach!

Today is day 7 of Phase 1 and I've lost 6 pounds! It sounds great and it is but sometimes I get a little mad at myself because I was at 150 when the summer started and had been at 150 for several years. I gained up to 162 in the last month because we were on vacation much of that time. I didn't exercise and ate like a maniac. I binged every day because I knew I would be going ona diet when things got back to normal. So, now I'm paying for it.

Anyway, I've been doing well on this diet.

Did you guys see the segment on Dateline last night about the classmates, all over weight, who were planning on having a class reunion in October? They were all given a different diet by the Dateline producers. One chose Atkins, one chose Slimfast, one chose hypnosis, one chose extreme exercise, One chose Weight Watchers, and one chose personal consultation with Jorge Cruise. The guy on Atkins lost the most but he had health problems big time. He developed gout in his foot. But guess who was a close second? The guy who chose hypnosis! And he was a Baker! He said it was a breeze to lose weight once he started. Even his wife was so impressed that she started hypnosis to stop smoking and it worked too!

Now, where can I find some of those hypnosis tapes? I think it's definitely worth in a try. Especially in conjunction with SB!

OK, I'm off to get ready for another busy day. Let's all have a great day following the plan!
Old 07-16-2003, 08:47 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Pamela Anderson, eh? Nope. I'm pretty darned petite down there. Even at my fattest.
Good work controlling yourself, Ruth!!

Tracey, congratulations on the loss!! That's wonderful!

Opera, one piece of bread at a time, sweetie.
My DD made garlic bread last night for herself and DS. I could have eaten the entire loaf.

I thought it was supposed to rain all week... it's sunny out! I suppose I'll have to hang out my laundry.

Oh, by the way, I've lost another pound.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:10 AM   #5  
cranky & determined

Tracey! Ellis!

Keep up the great work!

Ruthie! for getting your flag flying at full mast AND not having watermelon! stay

I had blueberries for breakfast and my day's worth of whole grain bread, toasted with ICBINB spray.

I'm back from Pilates and feeling good but not quite like Pam
Anderson!

TTFN
Old 07-16-2003, 09:20 AM   #6  

DH and I watched that Dateline and I want to point out that the Dr. Atkins diet doesn't not necessarily cause gout! DH has it today and is off to the doctor in a few minutes. He had an attack of it a few weeks ago. Both were caused by being on his feet too much. It is from an old injury and also both parents were prone to it.
Am still impatiently waiting for my book to arrive. DH would like to go the the SBD with me, but I refuse to do it all. We were on WW once and he wanted me to do all the meal planning and preparation. Phooey on that....too darn stressful. If he wants to SBD, he has to read the book and take responsibility for what he puts in his face!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:32 AM   #7  
Big Looser Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippy
DH and I watched that Dateline and I want to point out that the Dr. Atkins diet doesn't not necessarily cause gout!
You're absolutely right, Tippy.

The man in the Dateline segment had gout previous to starting the diet. When contacted by Dateline, the Atkins bunch said those suffering from Gout may have have the conditon again when on the Atkins diet. They modified his diet a little and he got well.

Hope your husband is over his case soon and feeling much better. I understand it is very painful.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

O.K. I am just on Day 3 and I am already down 4 lbs. I know it's probably just water weight right now, but it's still nice to see the scale going down. And, yes, I do weigh myself everyday - I feel that if I stop weighing myself I will stop eating right - I had lost 30 pounds at the beginning of the year and gained back 15 when I stopped weighing everyday.

Melody
244/240/199/125
Old 07-16-2003, 09:45 AM   #9  
cranky & determined

Congratulaltions, Melody!!!

on your great start. You're well on your way!

see you later,
Old 07-16-2003, 09:53 AM   #10  

Melody, good for you!! (I weigh everyday, too...)

I told a friend that I'd lost 14 pounds, and she said, "Well hopefully it's not just water." JEALOUSY!!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:01 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

So much for plans! I went outside to check my plants while waiting for Sue and discovered a tree came down in the storm and was lying on my car! As Tippy says, Oy! Luckily no damage to the car but it sure got the blood racing to chop off some of the branches and get it moved. I need a man with a chainsaw and a truck to do the rest.

I didn't see dateline but do agree with Tip and the others that Atkins did not cause the problem. It can exacerbate a pre-existing condition which is why Dr. A recommends a kidney function check before starting the plan. On the other hand, the lower fat levels make South Beach a healthier plan. (I hope the Atkins evangelists don't jump on me!)

Stick to your guns, Tip, on the deal if SH goes on SBD. (Like I need to give YOU advice!)

Melody, I too weigh every single day. I find that my weight during the week has a 3 pound range due to fluid retention. If I were to weigh only one day and it was a high day, it would be a real downer. I have stopped weighing myself in the middle of the night after a pee break so I guess I am partially overcoming my addiction.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:08 AM   #12  

Hello to everyone!

Congratulations on all the great results all of you are experiencing...who cares if it's water???!!!!! It still registers on the scale!!!! I too weigh myself everyday, not sure if it's good or bad. Sometimes I tend to do it twice a day, then I know it's obsessive!!! But then again, I am an obsessive person

I am off to walk, have a great day and enjoy the beach!!

Meg
Old 07-16-2003, 10:24 AM   #13  

hi guys!! I am feeling kinda down today....my finger is fixable but not worth doing two surgerys and months of PT. When I do something...I do it good....now why can't I do my diets that good...also...my weight loss has not been that good. WHY? I stay on the diet but I binge on pistachios, cheese and sugar free popsicles...YES...you can eat to many.
No more....I am only kidding myself....I am only cheating myself. So I am going to have a true South Beach day and really see what my results are!! I think I might be surprised...
Old 07-16-2003, 10:32 AM   #14  

Whimsey, hang in there, hon... you can do it!

Ruthie... so sorry about the car/tree. I'd pop over and do it for you, but Dad won't teach me how to use the chainsaw. He's worried that his 38 year old daughter might hurt herself.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:32 AM   #15  

WOOHOO congratulations to all the losers here!!! Isn't this WOE wonderful???
I saw Dateline last night, and they did make it appear that the gout was caused by the Atkins - I know better, but have to admit, he sure made a big deal about all the 'fat' he was eating!
Hope everyone has a wonderful Beach day!
Closed Thread