Wild weather Wed beach chat 11/27

• Good morning. Hope everyone gets to their destinations safely. It is a monsoon here. Cannot wait to put on dry clothes when I get to work. I did pass yesterday, on the second try. It was not my best day at the range to say the least.

Baking is on plan for tonight after work regardless of how tired I may feel.

Left my travel mug at work yesterday. A coffee cup thief raided my cabinets and seems to have his my extra mugs. Urgggggg not a happy commuter lol

Happy Thanksgiving in case I don't get here later.
  • Good Morning

Thanks for getting us started, Jennifer. I hope you are dry very soon and that your day proves uneventful. Kudos on passing yesterday!

I'm up early. We have a water issue at the project and it's much easier if I go up and empty the bucket in the wee hours rather than letting it overflow the pan. It's in an area under the sink where I can't put anything deeper than my large roasting pan. I met with the plumber yesterday and he can start work on it Friday afternoon. Until then, I'm married to the roasting pan. More project stuff today, as usual. We make small progress everyday. Funny, I just don't feel like eating over these continual frustrations. That is certainly a major behavioral change.

I hope you all have a safe and happy day!
  • Good morning Just a quick hello before getting this day in high gear. We are driving through the upper part of the storm - heavy rain here, black ice in the mtns, more rain and then the snow in Central NY. I already told Tim that we will just stop at a motel for the night if the driving gets scary, no reason to take risks. I think we will be alright as long as the other drivers are careful. I worry more about them than us.

Ruth - hope you are safely passing through the snowy areas.

Safe travels to all
  • Good morning.

I not only survived yesterday's cold weather hike but am glad I went and learned that I can actually enjoy hiking in the 30 plus degree range!

Our houseguests leave this morning. I work out with my mom and trainer. DS2's flight got in at 2am this morning and I'm supposed to get him into the online queue at 7 to renew his driver's license. DS2 is due in 4:30 but comes from PA so we'll see if he has weather delay issues; he connects in Chicago.

Happy Hanukkah to anyone who celebrates!
  • Good morning everyone! It is beautiful outside, as long as you aren't driving anywhere. We got about 4 inches of snow overnight and it is snowing gently. There is a chance it will warm up and become freezing rain later and I hope we don't get that! What a mess.

We will be a small group tomorrow, just 1 guest, which is okay. Today's major job is thaw that turkey. Cold water technique here I come. I have the squash done, SB appetizers and will keep it simple.

Jennifer, congrats to you and I hope you find dry clothes and coffee quickly.
    Debbie, I am continually impressed with your organization on this project.
    Cyndi, safe travels! We regularly travel through the New York and New England and during the winter you have to have the "stop if it gets too bad" mindset. I remember one time sitting in a McDonald's for 2 hours with 2 little kids watching to see if the freezing rain would shift one way or the other....Be safe today!

To all the other chicks, have a wonderful OP day. Hope Ruth made it safely to her destination.
    ETA: Morning Karen, hope your family makes it home safely.
  • Good morning

Hope everyone travelling is safe

This article appeared in the ny times. French trying to understand american thanksgiving. First of all they call it american Christmas. An expat ordered a turkey from her butcher. He said no problem, I'll even roast and stuff it for you. The turkey was beautifully roasted ozing with fat. It was stuffed with fois gras and the bill was $200. Another ordered a 12lbs turkey and it turned out to be 12 kilos (25lbs) one french woman said she would do dinner because she knew all about it. Put marshmallows on mash potatoes and scattered cranberries around the table for decorations.
    Take care
    Sophie
  • Good morning! I was up early to get the laundry done and make some jello salads and some sides for tomorrow, and now I'm sitting here waiting for Ruth. She made it to Allentown by 3 yesterday without too much trouble, and spent the night there. She called me at 9 this morning to say she was just getting ready to leave and she should be here any minute. I'm so glad the weather has cleared up for the last, and most difficult due to traffic, leg of her trip.

Sophie, those interpretations of an American Thanksgiving are hilarious!

If I don't get here before tomorrow, have a wonderful, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • Happy Thanksgiving to everyone if I do not get a chance to get back on.

Safe travels to everyone, glad to hear that Ruth is almost at your house Cottage.

Today I am wfh but still not managing to get much accomplished, just too many interruptions hopefully quieter afternoon.

Tonight I need to bake some. DS and his GF are going to her family for Thanksgiving and DD1 works tomorrow evening so it will be a very quiet Thanksgiving with just DH and DD2 and myself so my cooking will be on the small size.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!!
  • Hello all!

Getting ready for the holiday, which luckily for me involves driving across town to my grandmother's house! I usually bring the mashed potatoes, but have delegated them so as to keep white potatoes out of my house.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving travels and plans for the next few days!