Memory Lane Monday Beach Chat 6/17

• Good morning, cannot believe I didn't make it here yesterday. I did not have a father growing up. My grandpa, a very stoic man, was my role model. He taught me the benefits of hard work, the joys of fishing, a love of baseball and appreciation of nature to name a few. He was not a warm and fuzzy guy, never said he loved you (just wasn't his way) After he died when I was in college, my grandma showed me his wallet. Mind you they were married almost 60 years, not one picture of her or his kids. He did have every school photo of me. I have a "bum" figurine on my dresser that was his (he kept his watch and change there) He may never told me he loved me, but I know he did and was very proud of me. I still miss him. My son is named in his honor. Oh and I get my height from him too

Well had a nice surprise from the scale today. Been fluctuating since the ride, but back to low weight again

Joe is booking our vacation today. I cannot wait to go away. We are renting a cabin in Ohio (Amish area) No TV or Internet, but there is a hot tub. It will be nice to get a week away from reality.

Ok enough rambling. Can you tell I had my coffee lol. Tell me about your plans
  • MOnday SBD Chat, June 17
    Good Morning

I've been enjoying my "time alone" and have been making the most of it....working hard around the house, reading a good book and sleeping/rising when I feel like it. Staying OP, too, which is great!

Our boss is out of town for two days and so it will be crazy for us girls at work. He's usually around to fill in a bit when we need some help. I'm going to go in a bit early and make sure everything is prepped. I'll be there until the very end of the day since he wants me to balance out the register, too.

I'm sure enjoying our summer yet it already seems it's passing way too fast.

What's on your agenda today? Stop and chat
  • Good morning and welcome to Monday and the second half of the glorious month of June. We got three inches of rain yesterday so I won't need to drag the hoses around for a while! Sunshine is in the forecast for the whole week.

Our Girls and Kids dinner went well last night and they took home all the leftovers! The pulled pork was a big hit and nobody went home until the kitchen was cleared and the dishwasher loaded. We have been doing these family dinners for nearly two years now - loads of fun as the hostess does the protein and the others bring salad, sides and dessert. The leftovers get shared out. I turned down my share of the pulled pork - I found the shredding of a honkin' big hunk of pork a bit off-putting. I think it was the fat.

Not sure exactly what today will bring. I must finalize the flowers for a wedding on July 6 and get the order to the florist. And there's always Mill accounting, of course! This afternoon I'll hit the poor neglected veggie garden. It'll be pure mud this morning after the rains.

Hope your Monday is "fruitful". (My wee berry patch is starting to produce a handful at a time. Somehow they never make it to the house. )
  • Good morning. I'm still working on my first cup, I was trying to catch a few more minutes of sleep after a fun, but exhausting, weekend.

Jennifer, a vacation cottage with a hot tub, away from TV and internet sounds lovely. When does your vacation start? I have to wait til mid-July for mine.

Debbie, I hope your long hours at work today are fun and the time flies til the end of the day!

Ruth, I had to laugh about your pulled pork experience. Are my eating habits starting to rub off on you? My wee berry patch is doing quite well for it's first season, yesterday I picked the few ripe blueberries my bushes produced, and they were delicious. Hopefully next year I'll get a bigger crop of them!

The weekend flew by at my DD's, but we had a good time, and my GD, Carley, did an impressive job at her swim meet. She'll find out this evening if she qualifies for the championship games.

Well, I'd better figure what I'm having for breakfast and get ready to see what today brings. The girls are on their first full week of summer vacation, and I wonder how long it will take before I hear those famous words, "I'm bored, what can we do?"
  • Good morning chicks! We had a great father's day ~ I caught 4 fish . None too big, but fun enough. Thank goodness DD finally caught one, she was quite discouraged. (she only used corn for a while, leftover from her lunch. she was determined they would prefer it!) I was quite proud on the way home that the rest of the family stopped for Sheetz MTO's (gas station fast food) while I ate the snacks I brought (hummus and broc, apple and PB). Really, it was no debate for me!

Today is a normal day I hope. Since we got in so late last night, I didn't get up early for a walk, so I'm hoping I can get that later (Poor Emma Jean is certainly confused and upset though!). I have to plan a menu though so I keep on this week without problems.

Hope everyone has a great week! Jekel, I am jealous of your vacation!
  • Good morning fly by for me, internet is unreliable this morning so I'll try to get back in later from a WiFi hotspot.
  • Morning everyone Had a pretty good weekend eating wise- but the scale shows a gain? I think part of it is because right now I'm feeling plugged up... Which is so weird because I eat so many veggies! I mean TONS... *sigh*

Hopefully the coffee helps, usually does!

Okay now to get to work
  • Haha coffee is a LIFESAVER... If anyone has ever watched the episode of South Park where the dad takes a huge poop, well, that's how I felt afterwards lol!
  • Thanks for sharing, Beeab! I share your joy!
  • Haha Ruth- you know normally I have no issues, but this weekend I must have done something different! I am expecting a 5 lb loss after this morning! HAHA!

Jennifer that was a sweet story about your grandfather
  • Evening all. Didn't manage to check in yesterday. DS1 and I took DH for a morning hike before the rain came. (Well, ok, we got a little damp at the end...) Afterward we stopped for Chinese. I always avoid the rice and the fried items, concentrating on shrimp, chicken and veggies but between the Chinese and TOM I was up 2 pounds this morning! The one good thing I can say is I've been drinking extra water today and there's a good chance I'll get a whoosh either tomorrow or the next day.

We had a passing rain shower mid-day today but I managed to sneak in a little flower garden time after work. My perennial beds are finally looking like a planned garden rather than a hay field. Somehow I always get behind in May.

Thanks to everyone for sharing the stories of your fathers. I'm lucky that mine is still alive, mentally sharp and in fairly good health. My appreciation of him constantly grows as I get older! I am also all too aware of savoring our time together.
  • Good evening,

First day back at work so it was just a crazy day all around and I am still on San Diego time so it seemed like I had to wake up at 2:42 a.m. this morning lol. I am tired.

Yesterday I tried to come in and check in and got a weird message about the this site about it collecting information so I just gave up on trying to get in. strange doesn't seem like anyone else had that issue.

Watching the voice so I will say Goodnight to all
  • I've been having a weird thing with the site too - sends me to some other one, then my anti virus pops up.
  • All day yesterday I would get a message screen about potential viruses, etc which is why I didn't check in. Did not have any problem today.
  • Oiy vey still not on my way home from work yet!!!! Vacation doesn't come soon enough Linda. We are leaving July 26. Joe was able to book my first choice. I cannot wait. There was a service disruption tonight. So we redeployed officers to Penn Station to assist with crowds (including me) I don't dare watch the news as I know my butt was being filmed by several media sources. My train home won't get me in until 11 then back on the 5 am in the morning. Me thinks someone is going to be cranky tomorrow lol. I did stay OP which was challenging because I was hungry and my snacks were at GCT. Just enjoyed them now, but tummy is still rumbling. See you maņana